• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I love generators!!!

Chainbreaker

I have an MEP-002A and I haven't hooked it up to my new house to see how it performs. With my old house, I had my electric dryer on, every light on in the house including the night light in the hall, the electric oven on and half the burners until I got to 100% load. My new house my dryer is gas, oven is gas and no water pump, so there is a lot less of a load. I should try it anyway to see how it does. I have AC but the load to start motors could kick it on its face. I just would hate to burn something up trying a science experiment with my AC. It would be good to make the ol' girl grunt under a good load for an hour or so. Its been a while.
Sounds like your new house with your MEP-002a will be a nice match. I use one to run entire house (2 people) with well pump, septic pump, 2000 watt espresso machine, toaster oven, 60" plasma TV with full surround sound, lots of lights (now using LED bulbs) inside & out with propane water heater and propane cooktop stove. Haven't tried it with our electric oven but did manage to run 220V hot tub for a few hours to keep it from freezing when a recent ice storm took out power for one long week by doing some basic load management. I wonder if it "might" be possible to run your AC, if not too big, by installing a hard start kit on compressor and doing some preemptive load management if you were to experience a power outage during a heat wave? The only time my MEP-002a really grunts is when the espresso machine's 2000 watt boiler temporarily kicks in if some other large loads simultaneously come online; it will occasionally push it to 125% load momentarily. We do have a 5600 watt electric dryer that I only kick on during monthly genset exercise runs without any other major loads running. I run genset for a good hour long workout to displace any moisture, keep internals lubed and help burn through fuel during the year.

Dwnorton1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe we are going to have to give you benefit of the doubt. It is sitting in a military trailer, can't tell what exact color is but appears to be close. But to be a full fledged member we are going to have to get you something with a military designation. Then you can become addicted to gens, which I suspect you would considering your affliction with the m939's. There's this other guy I know that has recently caught the bug that was also a M939 guy.

izzug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M802A.jpg
I have a MEP802A on a M116A3 trailer, it has a mount on the back of the trailer for a cable reel of some sort.....what is the reel called and part number? Does anyone want to sell one??

Rick

Nope, still have an 003a that quit making power on me. Got a short in the alternator. wound up buying another alternator and replaced it. still wouldn't make power. Hooke up a 12 volt battery and did the TB3-5 and TB3-6 ,and it made power then. contacted triple jim , asked him if he could take a look at my ac voltage regulators I have to see if they are good. (I have 2 spare vrs) haven't mailed them yet but if they are okay, Im at a loss as to what else is causing no power output.

Triple Jim

Some things that it could be:

* Bad CVT1
* Broken wire or dirty connector
* Bad diode bridge (A4)

If you disconnect the regulator from the rest of the circuit, which means at least disconnecting the wire from terminal 14 or 17 and the generator makes power, but with abnormally high voltage, then the regulator may be at fault. If the generator won't make power with the regulator out of the circuit, it's not the regulator causing the problem.

If you run the generator without one or more regulator wires connected, be sure to tape the terminals or otherwise to something to keep them from touching each other or anything else.

Last edited:

lindsey97

Took my MEP-802a to the car wash today, to get the oil residue off the sides and bottom of it. I couldn't be any happier with mine, once I found all the missing parts needed. DWnorton built a very cool power distribution box inside of a fat 50 ammo can for my genset, and it works very nicely. I am impressed with the build quality of the box.

Changed the power cord out on a clothes dryer today, which makes an awesome load bank for a 5kw genset. With the dryer set on high heat, it cycles the genset, and loads it to 90%. I can also add a 400 watt light, and a 750/1500watt space heater to the mix to get a combined load of 115%. Very impressed with MEP-802a, and will probably buy another.

I would also like to get a MEP-803a, just to see how much less the engine vibrates. Or I want try a MEP-831a on my RV. But most likely will stick to buying 802's or perhaps I will find a AMMPS 5kw genset with the Kubota 3 cylinder motor to bid on. I am really enjoying messing with the gensets, since the 5 tons dried up, and I have been learning a lot about electricity since buying the genset. A lot of great people on here, and would like to say thank you to everyone that has contributed to helping get me up and running.

Just have a quick question, would the A4 board from a 112a unit be compatible in an 003a unit? have one of those. Bought a 112 for the engine and fuel tank, still have the distribution box.

Triple Jim

The schematic shows it with a zillion more diodes on it, but it might work. I'd just replace the bad part(s) on the old board. The diodes are less than a buck each, and the resistor is nothing special. You can look up the specs with the NSN from the parts list and buy one or two from somewhere like Mouser.

snowtrac nome

I don't have much for military gen sets just a 3 k gas and a 5 gas they are way too thirsty my go to gen set now is my 8 k lister petter it will run all day on a few gallons of diesel.

Guyfang

Staff member
Just have a quick question, would the A4 board from a 112a unit be compatible in an 003a unit? have one of those. Bought a 112 for the engine and fuel tank, still have the distribution box.
5998-01-054-9637 is the NSN for the A-4 Bridge Rectifier card. It has no UOC, Usable on Code, so it will work in any 002A or 112A gen set.

jmenende

I to am following along on craigc adventure. When time allows I am going to have to try those out.
Here is another tidbit I will share.
The governor module on the 831's seems to be the weakest link, IMO. That being said they are available at OEM for $328 plus shipping. They have some in stock and if not can make you a new one with a few weeks lead time. I also spoke to the OEM for the inverters and they can rebuild them one time. Send them the serial # and they can tell you if it has been rebuilt and will inspect/repair if not ever rebuilt. Also will sell to civvies. Not sure of cost yet, admittedly scared on thier cost. When I get home I am going to check my serial # and then get estimate.
Hello. Where can I get the governor module rebuilt?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks