• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I might be a little crazy – 4,000 mile M1079 recovery Illinois to Alaska

AKPacker

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And it begins! I made good progress today, got the ecohubs installed. Tires are next on the list.

Before, during, and after photos:

Attachments

71DeuceAK

Small world, I bought it from Green Valley just south of Peoria.

Not sure, the turn signals/hazards didn't work when I inspected the truck. I didn't have time to fully troubleshoot the cause at the time, but I noticed that the hazard relay wasn't original, so I'm hoping it is a simple relay swap. Would a failed flasher module totally disable the turn signals/hazards?
No kidding? I have a house in Mason City and have an M929A2

AKPacker

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wheels tires, and filters galore! I got all 5 tires mounted and everything went ok except for a couple of spun studs that mount the split rims together. They should be good with the remaining 19 bolts right? Is there a field expedient fix for spun split rim studs?

I got the 3 piece run flats installed on the front wheels. It was a massive pain in the rear to get the run flats and the 2 bead lock rings lined up correctly in the tire so that everything would go on the rim smoothly. Definitely Type-3 fun, I do not recommend doing this solo.

All new engine oil, oil filter, fuel filter, and fuel/water separator were installed. The fuel/water separator on the C7 is hard to change without getting diesel everywhere.

Tomorrow I've got a few minor things to finish up, grease points, and the desiccant cartridge, then hopefully it'll be time to hit the road!

IMG_20240604_092217990.jpg

IMG_20240604_100630947.jpgIMG_20240605_103817207.jpgIMG_20240605_205012360.jpgIMG_20240605_181408837.jpgIMG_20240605_202823743.jpg

coachgeo

I got the 3 piece run flats installed on the front wheels. It was a massive pain in the rear to get the run flats and the 2 bead lock rings lined up correctly in the tire so that everything would go on the rim smoothly. Definitely Type-3 fun, I do not recommend doing this solo.

View attachment 925201
Is the black part in above pic what you had real hard time keeping aligned to fit the outer rim bead rings on?

AKPacker

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I made it as far as Spearfish South Dakota, I'll write more about the journey later. I've developed some pretty severe wheel hop on the front axle. I'm going to try to find a truck shop to get the front end checked out, but might not have much luck on a Sunday. Any troubleshooting ideas/suggestions in the mean time?

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I made it as far as Spearfish South Dakota, I'll write more about the journey later. I've developed some pretty severe wheel hop on the front axle. I'm going to try to find a truck shop to get the front end checked out, but might not have much luck on a Sunday. Any troubleshooting ideas/suggestions in the mean time?
Wheel hop? Can you take a video? Not sure what you are describing. Vibration? Is it speed dependent?

AKPacker

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To update this, the truck is running amazingly besides the wheel balance issues I posted about in another thread. I'm currently in BC Canada with limited internet service. I've driven bout 2500 miles so far, the ecohubs are awesome, I got approximately 10 mpg going through the mountains from Alberta to BC yesterday.

Attachments

Last edited:

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wheel bounce is probably due to out of round tires. Common with the tires I have tried, sadly. No solution that I know of other than slow down or get the tires trued. Balance beads do not help.

Moving the worse tire to the rear might help.

ab705

Wheel bounce is probably due to out of round tires. Common with the tires I have tried, sadly. No solution that I know of other than slow down or get the tires trued. Balance beads do not help.
How about tire shaving/truing? If they aren't too far out-of-round, you shouldn't lose too much tread depth.

Last edited:

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How about tire shaving/truing? If they aren't too far out-of-round, you shouldn't lose too much tread depth.
If you just drive the truck regularly they will true up on their own. Also having a working CTIS system with the wiring mod for multiple highway pressure settings or manual control is VERY useful. You can simply drive the speed you want and alter the tire pressure dynamically while you are driving till you find a pressure at which your desired speed has the least vibration.

Mrgior31513

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To update this, the truck is running amazingly besides the wheel balance issues I posted about in another thread. I'm currently in BC Canada with limited internet service. I've driven bout 2500 miles so far, the ecohubs are awesome, I got approximately 10 mpg going through the mountains from Alberta to BC yesterday.
Just wanted to say, the amount of planning, work and effort that you've put into trying to make this happen is just inspiring and awesome. I can't add much to your current endeavor, except some encouragement in that I think your current journey is pretty impressive. I've seen a lot of people take risks and try to make things happen, but the level of planning and work accompanying it is where it's at.