• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I might have to part out a deuce, but I have questions first.

Lonesome715

First off for the record I am not and never have been a fan of parting trucks. However, the cost to get one of the deuces I have back on the road if far greater than I can manage right now. The worst part is I pad way too much for it to begin with. Being since we need money badly right now so I can pay for the Police Academy it looks as though parting this truck is the only way we might break even on it. The truck is a 1987 Air Force truck with drop sides and literally brand new big tires. I forgot the size but they are bigger than 1100’s. Anyway, I know there will be left over parts that will be hard to sell and I am afraid I will end up with a partial carcass in my yard that will only be good for scrap at that point. I am just wondering what the real world probability would be of me selling every piece of that truck so that others may live. I am already against doing it but my options are limited.

And please DO NOT send me messages asking for parts. I have not decided to go through with the part out so do not flood me with parts requests.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
IF you do part it out, I would suggest getting a video of it running and shifting and stuff prior to parting it so you can show folks the engine works and transmission, etc.

ivbeenrokd

I say post it forsale for the amount you need to get for it and if it doesn't work then just part it out if it's not worth saving.

No pm's from me, but I would like some bigger tires.

number9

Cut the frame up with a torch and scrap it. In my area scrap is bringing about $140 a ton. Don't know what the frame weighs though.

What's wrong with the truck that it needs to get back on the road?

Lonesome715

The whole truck including the cab is rust free and in great shape.

I figured tha frame would have to be scrapped, but I hoped not.

it does not run. The engine is missing parts. It does turn over though.

People look at me like I am nuts when I tell them how much I want for it. Even though the tires and parts alone are worth that is not more. I knwo thw running gear is ar least $2000 if I advertise it on some 4 wheel drive sites.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't see how anyone makes money parting out a truck they have over $1000 in. Then for sure you will be left with a carcass as you say will be a pain to haul to the scrap yard to get $200. If the sheet metal is straight and not rusted, you are better off accumulating the parts over time and building up the truck to sell as a runner. That '87 truck is special as it has (had?) the dual brake setup.

Lonesome715

Cut the frame up with a torch and scrap it. In my area scrap is bringing about $140 a ton. Don't know what the frame weighs though.

What's wrong with the truck that it needs to get back on the road?

I see what you are saying about the frame.

It needs some engine work that I cannot aford. To be honest I have not done a complete assesment of the truck yet. I bought it while I was in Iraq thinking it was a running truck. I am just looking for ideas before I get into it.

Lonesome715

I don't see how anyone makes money parting out a truck they have over $1000 in. Then for sure you will be left with a carcass as you say will be a pain to haul to the scrap yard to get $200. If the sheet metal is straight and not rusted, you are better off accumulating the parts over time and building up the truck to sell as a runner. That '87 truck is special as it has (had?) the dual brake setup.

Can you tell me more about this dual brake set up? I am not familiar with that.

Scarecrow1

Sorry to hear that your bad luck still won't let up , Couldn't you just sell the whole truck to someone to recover most of your money?? I wonder even if you parted it out it would it sell soon enough to help. I wish you luck either way

Lonesome715

I agree, it would be a lot fo work. That is one of the reasons I do not want to do it.

And that is another good point. Really, I do not think parting it out is a good idea. But there have been several people that have suggested it to me so I figured there must be something to it.

tony99561

Here is a little tidbit for everyone working on a MUTT. Brake shoe return springs part# 80396,
shoe holddown springs part# 80718, and the spring keepers part# 80725......All available thru your local NAPA store. Under their United Brake Parts line. Hope this helps.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
I bed to differ with the value. If you need a radiator look at what you will pay. If you need and IP or compressor look at what it will cost you for parts. There is a gold mine in parts in that truck. Now I am not advocating being the DEUCE BUTCHER. I took a parts truck in trade to help someone buy a runner.The motor was blown in the parts truck. The parts truck has helped more than 5 of us when we needed parts and I still have the axles, IP , transmission and various other parts that i will someday need. It is not a crime to kill one to say 10.

Lonesome715

That is kind of what I am thinking. But then again, I am not sure how far gone this one is. The engine is the only issue that I know of.

One reason I am considering this is becuase I have another very nice 87 dropside. It is not perfect but it is not far from it. It runs great and everything seems to work great. It also has 11 brand new 1100 directionals on it. So it is kind of tough to justify spending the money on the other one.

area52

I know the guys over on Pirate4x4 like the Rockwell axles so they should sell for a good price, maybe $1500 or more for all three? depending on who needs/wants them now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks