• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I need an alternator.

avengeusa

this will work with the 115 dollar alternators which can be rebuilt very cheaply

a person could make the spacer, or get one form me, and use a section of flat stock drilled for the arm, and not have a lot of money invested for what is a better, more powerful alternator which can be found or rebuilt anywhere

I am going to keep a spare regulator, diode set, and brush set in the truck for this unit, the 22SI can easily be amped up to 200 amps :-D

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
When you type in the "text box", below it is a clickable box that says "manage attachments". Click that and you should be able to figure it out from there. Thanks for the update, looks good.

beaubeau

alternator Mod

That is quite a Piece of Work avengeusa! I got a Delco for one of my Deuces and found it easier to make a Bracket from scratch with a 2x3/8 in flat stock Drilled 2 holes to mount to Block, and 2 drilled 2in pcs for alt. Pully on alt. matched up well. One wire to bat. is all needed. Whatever works !!?? Phil

avengeusa

i checked my local rebuilder today he said he had the delco7197 for 160 wasnt to bad. considering i wouldnt have to waiy for shipping he would have it to me in an hour.plus i believe it have the pulley.
lemme know if you need any help, info, or parts, i will do what i can, no cost.....

wvhillbilly

CALL ELECTRICAL MOTOR SUPPLY IN LOGAN, WV!!!!. They have EVERYTHING you need to rebuild this unit. Most likely it is a Leece-Neville unit. They are SIMPLE to overhaul. Please replace the bearings at time of overhaul; it really is quite easy...."wvhillbilly" aka auto parts store manager

tm america

avengeusa you must be a machinist cuz you made those brackets like they were going on a hotrod .just purdy:wink:but seems like a little more work than need i think if you keep it indexed like they come and just remake the bottom bracket you could save some time.maybe some 3/8 or half inch plate cut the parts out with the plasma cutter a little welding and you're done:-D

tm america

once i get mine i'll make patterns of the bracket when i make mine .if anyone wants i could make some up for a small fee .if not i could send you the patterns and you can make 'em yourself .

avengeusa

you have to re index the rear of the alternator.......

the cast iron bracket is in the way, you could remake the whole lower bracket, why i did not do that I have no idea, maybe it is just because i had bar stock....... you will see, take the bracket off of the block and try it in a vise, you will eventually come to the same point i did, need brackets made.....

I have also been thinking.... the deuce pulley is drilled for balance..... it has a keyway, the keyway might had made it go out of balance, if the center is bored out 1/4 inch then the balance would change again due to the lack of metal removal where the slot is cut for the keyway....... it would need to be rebalanced.......

i will be looking for another pulley with the standard diameter

Last edited:

avengeusa

A, and C, are the rear mount, and the front mount, the bracket needs clearance between b, and c for the water pump hose......

right under the area marked B is a bolt which is in the way of the tab on the rear of the new alternator, and the bracket would have to be notched to clear the rear mounting tab on the alternator as well, too problematic, and a lower mount would be more difficult to make, and could get complicated easily

the mounting point labeled C, is used with the stock bolt, the top mount bracket for the original is also used, the easiest way to mount the unit is with a bracket made to go from point A, to the rear tab of the alternator, which will also require a spacer

I mounted mine without the rear bracket, and the alternator rear half simply rotated 180 degrees just to see how it all went together and it was fine other than some flex from the alternator mounting ears..... I did not like that, so i fabbed up a bracket, and a spacer as shown below

But a person could use a stack of washers, or pipe section, a 4 inch bolt, and a section of thick band iron to hack together a quick and dirty mount to stop the flexing of the new unit

lemme know what you come up with for a lower bracket, it could be done, but i did not feel like welding that day.......

I am going to make up some spare spacers and arms in case anyone needs them

might even anodize them, lol, green

Attachments

tm america

ya i would remake the bottom bracket:-D or you could make an adaptor to go onto the bottom bracket then mount the of the alt to that .or maybe even easier grind or mill the bottom bracket where the back mount goes.then make a spacer out of tubing or pipe and us a piece of all thread for the bold on the bottom . i'll do it both ways and see which is easier for the guys with limited tools and experience .

tm america

i got my alt friday . i got the pulley on it .now i just need to make the brackets looks like i'm gonna make em up two different way . one way is i'm gonna remake the bottom bracket from 1/2inch plate .and the other is i will make a bracket to bolt into the bottom bracket where the gen fit it.the it will bolt to the new alt i'm gonna make it from 2inch wide 1/2inch strap steel either way should work find i think i'm gonna run with the new bottom bracket on my truck and make some extras to sell if anyone needs one

avengeusa

i got my alt friday . i got the pulley on it .now i just need to make the brackets looks like i'm gonna make em up two different way . one way is i'm gonna remake the bottom bracket from 1/2inch plate .and the other is i will make a bracket to bolt into the bottom bracket where the gen fit it.the it will bolt to the new alt i'm gonna make it from 2inch wide 1/2inch strap steel either way should work find i think i'm gonna run with the new bottom bracket on my truck and make some extras to sell if anyone needs one
post pics man!

tm america

sure will as i'm making them and then with them on there.do you feel any difference in the way your truck runs now .there is alot less rotating weight with the delco figured you might feel the difference

avengeusa

sure will as i'm making them and then with them on there.do you feel any difference in the way your truck runs now .there is alot less rotating weight with the delco figured you might feel the difference
I wish i had a dyno for comparison, it does run great, free revving, and charges like crazy.....