• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I think my head gasket failed

87cr250r

It is possible to convert. You can install a threaded rod with Loctite in the angled hole, cut off flush, and drill new straight holes.

I wouldn't recommend this for your case because it won't likely save you anything vs exchanging but if anybody sees a screaming deal on some center mount heads, there is an option to convert.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If they are the wrong heads for the normally aspirated engine are they the correct heads for the turbo setup?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If they are the wrong heads for the normally aspirated engine are they the correct heads for the turbo setup?
YES the center mount turbo is the only 6.5L that takes the angled intake bolt holes, as stated all the way back in post #35

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I orderered the angled one. So if it's wrong, I guess I screwed myself and will have to pay to return them. We'll find out when they show up. I don't have the heads, they're at a machine shop somewhere else with the shop doing my work somewhere else. So if it's wrong, I'll have to eat the shipping to return them and buy the right ones.
I believe you are going to send these back, a simple phone call to the the shop with the heads would have confirmed this one way or another.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My point was is it possible to upgrade a NA 6.5 to a turbo 6.5 if you are changing the heads.

Mark

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My point was is it possible to upgrade a NA 6.5 to a turbo 6.5 if you are changing the heads.

Mark
No, although all 6.5L blocks have the provision for the center mount turbo cast into them the machining required to mount and oil the turbo is not done on the NA and civi (pickup) turbo engines, again only done on the van "P series" and the HMMWV turbo engines.
EDIT, you can run an aftermarket turbo on the NA, would not require a head change as it connects to the NA "spider" intake.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For future reference, I can confirm you want the 'straight' not 'angled' HEADS for a 6.5L GEP NA engine. I've let ProMAXX know they told me the wrong thing, (no idea if they will care) and now I get to figure out how to return 140 lbs of cylinder heads.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If ProMax screwed this up AND you paid by credit card AND they refuse to make good, then reverse the charges to get your money back!

It is up to ProMax to make up the return shipping prices and send you new heads that fit a N/A unit.

Swapping to a turbo unit is more than just heads. It requires plumbing new oil lines, and purchasing new intake manifold and exhaust manifold and turbo unit, and cutting away area under the doghouse to make room and getting a new doghouse, and new muffler pipes, just for starters.

It is a shame that you are having all these issues.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If ProMax screwed this up AND you paid by credit card AND they refuse to make good, then reverse the charges to get your money back!

It is up to ProMax to make up the return shipping prices and send you new heads that fit a N/A unit.
ProMAXX screwed up, but I ordered from JEGS. It's not JEGS fault. I didn't want to order directly from them, as I have no past experience with them, but I do JEGS.

So, I'll eat the return shipping, it's on me. And the ProMAXX rep got back to me that they will add to their notes the other head for military HMMWV NA.

(I have no desire to put a turbo on a HMMWV, especially with a 3-speed transmission. Sounds like a ton of work, for no reward.)

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally an update to share. Over the past month, they got everything put back together, fluids changed and they drove it for a couple of days. Other then a 'clunk' when backing up (that I THINK are the brakes?), they said it sounds good and didn't hear anything unexpected. (They're just a regular automotive shop, but they do a lot of commercial diesel trucks.)

So 32 hours of shop time @ $115 an hour.
2 new heads ($1150)
Gaskets and misc about $500
Misc shop supplies, taxes, etc..

About $5500 or so. The vehicle feels like it runs better then it did when I got it, seems actually quieter.

(Took so long, because this was a 'side job' for the shop. Since it didn't require a lift, the shop time was cheaper then normal. This just sat in the corner of their shop and when they were slow they worked on it for a few hours a week.)

No work on the engine block itself. The injectors tested out fine, so just re-used with new washers and hoses (which I supplied). Since everything was apart, I had them install the quick disconnect kit on the fan clutch. Should make future belt changes FAR FAR easier. Said job time was around 30 hours for them. There remaining 2 was the oil change, radiator flush and fill, hydraulic flush and fill, reading the manuals (I supplied to them), etc. So this all seemed very reasonable.

Last edited: