• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I want to get a Deuce.

M35A2usmc

Ok I still have a while till I can drive I was just thinking What plates should I get? I want it to be my daily driver if I get one. I also want to be able to haul ATV's. So I need to know from all NY guys.

Thanks
Matt

**** Just an FYI for everyone. Matt is a Freshman in high school. This will be his first vehicle ****
**** We welcome new/younger people to the hobby. Some of us are getting too old ;-) - Warthog ****

Last edited by a moderator:

joshs1ofakindxj

I bought my deuce from a guy in 'Cuse. He had a NY transferable registration and regular truck plate, no title. Transferred to PA without a problem thankfully.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will never get cheap insurance for a daily driver as a new driver(aka, teenager).

You will not qualify for classic/historic insurance for a daily driver or as a youth.

Call you insurance agent(or your parent's) to get your info. Not a forum.

M35A2usmc

You will never get cheap insurance for a daily driver as a new driver(aka, teenager).

You will not qualify for classic/historic insurance for a daily driver or as a youth.

Call you insurance agent(or your parent's) to get your info. Not a forum.
Ok thanks and I will get in touch. But there is no way I can get cheap insurance for a deuce.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct.

welldigger

Keep in mind most of the super "cheap" insurance policies have severe restrictions on usage. Never mind that you are a teenager. Its most likely not going to happen.

Call a few agents and hear what they have to say. We could be wrong.

gunboy1656

Well I give you credit for wanting one, I did when I was that young just never panned out until much later.

Since it will be the same for you I will say start early download the manuals (all the ones you can for what ever vehicles your interested in) and read them a lot. Read all the posts you can on the trucks you want before you go and try and get one. see if you can find a member or 2 close by who can show you their truck take you for a ride, and if they do hep them turn wrenches in payment when they need some help.

As for the cheap insurance it only gets that cheap because we are old ( I realized as of this posting I have been driving for 22 years now) and that cheap rate comes with that experience. Man I am old, now I need a drink and go to bed.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep in mind most of the super "cheap" insurance policies have severe restrictions on usage. Never mind that you are a teenager. Its most likely not going to happen.

Call a few agents and hear what they have to say. We could be wrong.
We aren't wrong. And you can probably double the price of insurance just for being in NY. And just because you've driven a car a couple of times, it does not by ANY stretch of the imagination mean that you are an experienced driver. You SHOULD NOT be counting on driving a deuce as your first daily driver, it is COMPLETELY different than driving a car. As I told my kid, driving is the first thing you'll do where you have the chance to kill yourself or someone else. MV's are not toys. This is not to put you down, but to get you to think and get experience before you go driving a large truck.

M35A2usmc

Well I give you credit for wanting one, I did when I was that young just never panned out until much later.

Since it will be the same for you I will say start early download the manuals (all the ones you can for what ever vehicles your interested in) and read them a lot. Read all the posts you can on the trucks you want before you go and try and get one. see if you can find a member or 2 close by who can show you their truck take you for a ride, and if they do hep them turn wrenches in payment when they need some help.
As for the cheap insurance it only gets that cheap because we are old ( I realized as of this posting I have been driving for 22 years now) and that cheap rate comes with that experience. Man I am old, now I need a drink and go to bed.
I read most of the manuals and posts of other people, ok thanks for that advice.

M35A2usmc

We aren't wrong. And you can probably double the price of insurance just for being in NY. And just because you've driven a car a couple of times, it does not by ANY stretch of the imagination mean that you are an experienced driver. You SHOULD NOT be counting on driving a deuce as your first daily driver, it is COMPLETELY different than driving a car. As I told my kid, driving is the first thing you'll do where you have the chance to kill yourself or someone else. MV's are not toys. This is not to put you down, but to get you to think and get experience before you go driving a large truck.
I know there are serious threats with owning a truck like this. I drive heavy duty farm tarctors. And never did I say you were wrong.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
When I was selling deuces I sold a teenager a deuce (his mother insisted that he was mature enough to handle it). Since we often have young men driving large trucks in the ag business I figured she knew more about the kid than I did. The first call I got was that he had it stuck in the lake bed and could I recover it. No...he was way out in the lake and I didn't want two stuck deuces. It cost him 300 bucks to get it home and some more money to repair other damage. He called later and said the injector pump was shot because he had tried to make biodiesel in the fuel tank. He said he didn't have the money to buy fuel so he was making his own with veggie oil. The last call I got was from him wanting to sell it back to me (still not repaired) to buy tires for his pickup truck. It ended up in the local scrap yard and on a slow boat to China. While I want to see young people in this hobby you need to think long and hard about this being your first vehicle. These trucks are old and have a lot of quirks that will baffle the new mechanics that are used to plugging a vehicle in to diagnose what's wrong with it. Old school diesel mechanics are hard to find and not cheap to hire. The single circuit brakes are dangerous since losing fluid means little or no brakes. If you don't know how to react when this happens you could kill yourself or someone else real fast. Unless you have the knowledge, tools and time to work on a deuce it is not the ideal vehicle to cut your teeth on. You can end up with a money pit that eats your lunch and when something major breaks you have a new piece of yard art to look at until you can afford to repair it. Just my opinion for what it's worth.

Rkrug

I'm a Junior now but got my first truck my M923a1 my freshman year, and my deuce last summer and have been daily driving the deuce ever since, Since I live on a farm the trucks get insured under the farm policy.
Good luck it can be done!

Last edited by a moderator:

joshs1ofakindxj

I waited till I was 23 and done with college to buy my M35A2. I've had my 1963 jeep and numerous other Jeep toys since I was 15 though. I would recommend starting there. They're small, simple, easy to drive, and very fun to own. Looking back, no way on earth did I have the maturity or capability to own a deuce. Between drinking, peer pressure, and stupidity I would have been in jail or dead. I also had a lot of experience by your age driving tractors, dozers, dump trucks, and so on but that is very different. Getting out on the road, moving at high speed, and risking not just your future but everyone else's requires a lot of thought.

Also, no way could I of afforded it. A tank of diesel is $200. Holy crap when I was 16 I used to work on a farm like a crazy person for most of a week to get $200. I was smart about things, or just plain lucky, and I went to college for engineering, and now I have a job where I push around a computer mouse and make that much money in a few hours (you ARE going to college for engineering, right? - if you want some guidance on college and engineering - send me a PM).

Having a deuce as your only vehicle is just plain stupid. They require a ton of maintenance, that you can only avoid so long before it bites you in the rear. I'm 25 now and I love my truck, but when it breaks down, I have numerous other vehicles to fall back on that I'm not borrowing from my parents or a friend.

In conclusion, buy something else that you can still enjoy, quickly repair, and afford, like an older jeep, or full size pick up. Also, I was not the kid with the biggest lifted truck in the parking lot in high school and I was ok with that. I had jeeps that would make those trucks look like completely useless mall crawlers in the woods.

PS: One more thing. It might sound like some people here HATE people from the age of 15-18 that want to buy a deuce but they are just not sugar coating the truth because that's what grumpy old people do. They're on the other side of the mistakes you may potentially have ahead of you, they suffered the consequences, and they're trying to recycle their experiences for your benefit. Part of me is thankful for the mistakes I made and WANTS other people to make those mistakes and learn life lessons, but any more, with civil litigation so prevalent and DUIs that haunt you forever handed out like free candy on Halloween, you can't afford to make those mistakes that previous generations took for granted. Welcome to the brave new world I guess.

Last edited:

Flyingvan911

Be patient and study the deuce forum here. A deuce is a wonderful vehicle and a lot of responsibility. Whenever you get it, the wait will be worth it. Welcome to the forum.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...but I have heard of insurance was like 35$ a year
At you age, you might want to add a couple of zeros to the end of that price. I've raised 4 kids and know the cost of insurance for new drivers very well.

M35A2usmc

When I was selling deuces I sold a teenager a deuce (his mother insisted that he was mature enough to handle it). Since we often have young men driving large trucks in the ag business I figured she knew more about the kid than I did. The first call I got was that he had it stuck in the lake bed and could I recover it. No...he was way out in the lake and I didn't want two stuck deuces. It cost him 300 bucks to get it home and some more money to repair other damage. He called later and said the injector pump was shot because he had tried to make biodiesel in the fuel tank. He said he didn't have the money to buy fuel so he was making his own with veggie oil. The last call I got was from him wanting to sell it back to me (still not repaired) to buy tires for his pickup truck. It ended up in the local scrap yard and on a slow boat to China. While I want to see young people in this hobby you need to think long and hard about this being your first vehicle. These trucks are old and have a lot of quirks that will baffle the new mechanics that are used to plugging a vehicle in to diagnose what's wrong with it. Old school diesel mechanics are hard to find and not cheap to hire. The single circuit brakes are dangerous since losing fluid means little or no brakes. If you don't know how to react when this happens you could kill yourself or someone else real fast. Unless you have the knowledge, tools and time to work on a deuce it is not the ideal vehicle to cut your teeth on. You can end up with a money pit that eats your lunch and when something major breaks you have a new piece of yard art to look at until you can afford to repair it. Just my opinion for what it's worth.
Now I would never go into water with these trucks. I want it to look good and not like crap. So you don't think running used filterd motor oil and diesel is good.

steelandcanvas

So you don't think running used filterd motor oil and diesel is good.
That's a whole other can of worms you're opening. There are lots of threads on WMO preparation and usage, seach and you'll find plenty of reading. I enjoy your enthusiasm, I wish it was contagious. I was 14 once, albeit awhile ago I still remember the dreams. I agree with the other forum members, don't consider a Deuce as your daily driver, especially at your age. Get a dependable vehicle, something that won't cost an arm and a leg to maintain or operate. Save your money, study hard, finish school and then consider buying that Deuce. Above all, don't lose site of your dream. Good Luck to you young Man, and welcome to the site!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks