• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I want to get a Deuce.

sandcobra164

I read the first post in this thread that got edited by Warthog. You have high aspirations and that's cool. M35a2usmc as you're user name. That's kind of messed up if you've not earned the title. I work with Marines as a civilian, they hold that title with very high expectations to "actually " hold the title. If you're in high school, you don't need a Deuce, you need to talk to a recruiter so you can challenge yourself and earn that title. I could put "ArmyStrong" as my user name but I've earned that and there's not a person on here that would tell me to remove it. If they did, I'd post a copy of my DD214 and they would figure it out.

w3azel

I'm a Junior now but got my first truck my M923a1 my freshman year, and my deuce last summer and have been daily driving the deuce ever since, Since I live on a farm the trucks get insured under the farm policy.
Good luck it can be done!
I'd love to know how you drove a M923a1 under the age of 18. Maybe Kansas is different but you can't drive anything CDL/ or endorsed under 18 and even then its very limited till 21. That being said I wanted a deuce sense I was 14 and I tried everything to convince my father he wanted one too. Didn't work and then at the age of 24(now) I have my own and another on the way. I think we should also get a hang of your background. Do you live on a large property, do you have a job, have you ever worked on anything before. These trucks are big and heavy. Meaning you have to either get tools to do it yourself or pay a shop to fix it and the bigger the toy the bigger the price to do it, even the simple things. Brake job on a normal car or truck, 30mins to an hour and that's if you have a nice tool set up and work space. Deuce....your day just got filled and you better have friend who really likes you unless you want to hurt yourself. That's ONLY if you have the right tools and a work space. Believe me man these things are no joke and I get where your coming from, we all are. Do yourself a favor and get really obsessed with something else and come back to the deuce in a few years like I did. You'll get to enjoy it more and be better prepared to do the work.

M35A2usmc

I read the first post in this thread that got edited by Warthog. You have high aspirations and that's cool. M35a2usmc as you're user name. That's kind of messed up if you've not earned the title. I work with Marines as a civilian, they hold that title with very high expectations to "actually " hold the title. If you're in high school, you don't need a Deuce, you need to talk to a recruiter so you can challenge yourself and earn that title. I could put "ArmyStrong" as my user name but I've earned that and there's not a person on here that would tell me to remove it. If they did, I'd post a copy of my DD214 and they would figure it out.
Ok I'm sorry that is my hopes to join As I tell everybody I meet I hope to join the Marines. I am not trying to start anything, I know how high they hold that title I thought people were supposed to be helpfull if you wanted to say something or would like to still talk about this issue please Pm me. My cousin was in the Army, my dad was in the Airforce. And my sisters boyfriends brother just got home from Iraq.

tbone1004

You're asking for trouble with a deuce in NY, especially in high school. I don't know where exactly "up state" is for you, but the deuce isn't exactly the most curvy hill/switchback friendly vehicle in the world, being a 6x6 and as large as it is means parking is a bear, so driving it to high school is probably not the best idea unless you want to crush the neighboring cars... Get something like a CUCV or something so you still have a MV, you get to learn about diesels through a reasonable vehicle with parts you can go to the local NAPA and source for normal amounts of money, then as others have said, go to college, do ROTC, and when you're done moving around every 6 months, then grab a deuce. Other question is what are you going to do with it in 4 years when you graduate high school? You're certainly not going to be able to take it onto most any college campus, so you'll have to have another vehicle to drive while you're at school, and if you go into the Marine Corps then you will have to have somewhere to leave it while you're at basic. Transporting a deuce is anything but cheap and it certainly isn't the first vehicle I'd choose to drive across the country depending on which base you get put on.

None of us are trying to discourage you from getting a deuce, we are just trying to give you some realistic limitations to owning one as well as try to make sure you don't kill yourself or even worse, someone else. It is a very real possibility and there is a good reason young male drivers have insanely high insurance rates, we are accident prone. I'm just coming out of insurance rate **** at 25 which is saving my wallet quite a bit, but even with my M37, I pay much more than $35/year for it, well basically $35/month on top of the other 2 vehicles on my policy. Granted I have full insurance on it, not just liability.

Good luck, and keep on dreaming, it is a good thing. Get a CUCV or similar as a DD, and start planning out your deuce project for after college

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Usmc m35a2

Focus your efforts on earning the title of Marine first. Then do a rethink and if you are still up for it, focus your effort on the deuce. When you are young, time is on your side, patience is generally not. I second the opinion of a CUCV but would limit it to a M1009 if a DD. With a well thought out plan, it can work the way it appears you want, eventually. And eventually - Semper Fi.

Attachments

F18hornetM

Everything everyone said is very accurate, all sound advice and great encouragement. I drove them at 18. Thanks to Good old USMC, but they were holding the liablity, not my parents and they trained us. Any rate, good luck. No kidding listen to these guys on here, the really do care about you and the future of private owned MV's.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard. Buy the MV that you choose. Whether you can insure it or not is another issue. Maybe you have to wait a while. Finding a job on a farm won't help because their insurance is for their vehicles, not one that is owned by another person.

As for your screen name, I didn't see anywhere were you said your were a Marine, hinted that you were a Marine or said anything like you were a Marine. To me your screen name was either touting that you had a USMC truck or that's what you wanted. You can have just about any screen name you want and you don't have to earn it.

That being said, pass yourself off as a Marine or former Marine and you weren't one and I'll be standing there with the Marines from this site asking you to explain.

Good luck in the search.