• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I Want to replace my leaking IP, Or get it re-built.

welldigger

Hmm. Possible. These are typically self purging but it isn't unheard of to need to bleed the lines.

Sometimes they need a quick whiff of starting fluid after an ip change to light off. Most don't. I don't have a good answer for why some are more trouble to get started than others.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Did That just like in the pix that Gimpyrobb attached on the 1st page of this post. I didn't however purge the lines at the injectors of air... I assumed that cranking over would push the fuel into the injectors.... I'm kinda thinking this is the issue.
No, you should not need to bleed the injector lines. I agree that some trucks need one quick snort of starting fluid to get them to fire initially.

Have you bled fuel at the secondary filters at the back of the motor?

gimpyrobb

If you can't find starting fluid out there, try putting some gasoline in a spray bottle and spray it in the air filter. That has worked for me in a pinch.

mhb285

Got it started this morning. After the second 1 second shot of "starter fluid" from Pep Boys I was able to keep it running. Took it for a ride around the old El Toro USMC air station where I have it parked. Smokes a lot more but I figured its because the existing fuel was contaminated with all the oil from the IP ... Two of the new injector lines were dripping at the Hydraulic head. I tightened them a little more. Should be good to go.
I'm going to drain & clean out the fuel tank and put in some fresh fuel. I'll also change out the filters and that should be it.......
Thanks for all the help :)

mhb285

Well it runs.... but only after I give a second or two shot of starter fluid at least 2x before it lights off every time when cold. Its a little hard to start when hot but will start after cranking on it. It smokes way more than it did before the new IP.
I replaced all the fuel filters and bleed them so no air that I can tell is in the system. The fuel lines are in very good condition as everything has been replaced in the last couple of years. I also drained the fuel tank and put in 40 gal of fresh fuel thinking that the old fuel was contaminated with the motor oil from the bad IP. I've driven it around the base a couple of times & its a little sluggish. not a lot but a little.
What did is screw up?
I'm stumped & getting mad at my truck! Any ideas?
Any chance the timing slipped or the injectors coked up from the oil?
Thanks..

Attachments

mhb285

I got the NOS injectors on Monday. I installed them today. Here are the ones I took out. The 1st picture is of all 6 in order from left to right. The second picture is a closer one of the 1 thru 3 & the 3rs picture is a close up of 4 thru 6.. they are dirty.
I had to use sold start to get it started & I still have gray smoke at idle. I drove it around for about 20 min. got it warmed up. still smokes. I shut it down & waited about 10 minutes & got it started again with no cold start. I'll let it set until tomorrow morning & see if it starts without cold start.
Could my valves be out of adjustment?

Attachments

gimpyrobb

Looking at them really means nothing. Checking the spray pattern and finding out what the "pop pressure" is, will tell you if they are good or bad.

rustystud

Nope, I'd bet the new ones are good. I was talking about the ones you posted pics of.
The NOS ones you got could be for a different application, so they could have a lower pop pressure. If your still having problems it wouldn't hurt to test one or two to make sure their at the proper pressure. The next thing you need to find out is if your Hydraulic Head is putting out the proper pressure. If it is barely making the injectors pop then it would cause all sorts of trouble. Follow the troubleshooting guide in the TM's for the Hydraulic Head.
As far as your valves go, it is a good practice to annually check them for proper lash.

mhb285

Gary,
I took out the fuel line that feeds into the HH and turned on the power. lots of fuel flowing out into bucket. So I've got fuel to the IP. it still smokes way more than it ever did before. The IP I installed is a remanufactured one from AMBAC & I was told it has a 1 year warrantee. I'd rather not pull it apart & void this. I'm just looking for confirmation that it a IP issue so I can contact the manufacturer for a replacement...... I dread pulling this thing apart again & sending the IP back to NC but I can't keep using cold start every time I want to start it.
This truck is killing me & my check book.
any suggestion's, or should I just contact AMBAC for a return & replacement.
Thanks
Mike

gimpyrobb

Timing is right, fuel to the (new) injectors, new IP. Sounds like everything should be fine.

Have you tried to start it with the air filter removed? Just a final step to check, I can't think of much more that could cause issues.