• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I want to rig a PLGR to a Tough book and use a RAMS mount to create a moving map....

EwaMarine

So what am I missing to make a ghetto FBCB2 or Blue Force tracker...I have:
The PLGR, RT-1439, LS-671, and a KY-57 on a vanilla two level rack in the 998.....
What else do I need?
Heres our rack now....Any ideas ?Museums HMMWV interior.jpgunnamed (2) (1).jpg

Last edited:

EwaMarine

This is a movie prop companies simulated blue force tracker:Museums HMMWV interior (1).jpgFBCB2-PS-Marquee.jpg Id like to do something similar but have it work as a actual moving map display...What programs and parts do I need to rig this up??

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure about the PLGR, but on the DAGR, there is a data cable available on ebay that connects to the RS232 port on the PC. Then use Google Earth, hit "tools" and "GPS", should receive the data and make continuous updates.

Search "DAGR" on ebay and you will find the cable. It's not the power or antenna cable.

Last edited:

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup. It's a simple serial interface to send NMEA data to a PC. If I recall correctly it's the same for both DAGR and PLGR. DAGR serial to PC P/N is 987-5012-001. A good resource to check out besides the TM is Brooke's comprehensive coverage at PRC68.com.

EwaMarine

You guys are HEROS for the info so far!!....
I just got a tough book donated from a Marine Major in Korea!!
..So now its time to find a good internal mount...

So far I found a FBCB2 Antenna mount/brush guard,PN:37587D-002
DAGR antenna PN: NSN 3085-01-502-6692
DAGR antenna cord:987-4840-001 assy 13499
DAGR DC power cord PN: 987-5019-001 assy 13499
Heres a pic of what we got so far:
unnamed.jpg
Heres a pic of some Army Dawgs installing the mount/brushguard for the Blue force tracker: size0.jpg
Need a PLGR antenna cord, adel camps,

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bft

Here are some BFT brackets and antennas I have found.
DSC_0346.jpgDSC_0347.jpg

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I may have a PLGR antenna cable for you. I'm still not unpacked from my recent PCS but if I find it it's yours. I also have a PLGR dismounted carrying case if you you want it.

ke5eua

I'm not at my PC right now but I ordered some stuff from an eBay seller who has plgr stuff.

I ordered my serial cable, power, antenna, and antenna cable from him.

I'll pm you his seller id in a bit. Really good guy to work with.

ke5eua

Pm sent. I've done this exact thing you are wanting to do.

I have a contact that is fixing to retire and I might be able to obtain a disc from him that would aid you in your fbcb2 look

ke5eua

I want to rig a PLGR to a Tough book and use a RAMS mount to create a moving ...

Another question, are any of the guys licensed ham radio guys?

We have a thing called aprs and it is actually pre fbcb2, pre mts.

The guy who developed aprs did it while working with the navy to track small boats and some of the interfaces we have look just like fbcb2 / bft

That's what mine is being used for.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks