• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I want to rig a PLGR to a Tough book and use a RAMS mount to create a moving map....

EwaMarine

I may have a PLGR antenna cable for you. I'm still not unpacked from my recent PCS but if I find it it's yours. I also have a PLGR dismounted carrying case if you you want it.
Sigo,
That would be awesome. This HMMWV is on loan from the MC, as a museum piece. We have been collecting parts and pieces from the military, private dudes, ebay, and donations from our volunteers to make it look legit! If you find that cable we can put it to total use for this project . Even our Marine Recruiters have used it! LOL. We get to support alot of local events with the HMMWVs...Only thing we need to find is the fording pipe bracket for the windshield, a M-2 with a shield someday, and the fording exhaust...The film work helps keep em going with fuel, oil, filters, etc...
When we got these HMMWVs they were stripped beaters....They looked so folorn. Now they are assets due to hard work of the volunteers here and people chipping in parts or pieces. We will never be too proud to beg and plead. Its a awesome cause. The tan HMMWV is dedicated to deceased Marines SSGT Mitch Chong, and Cpl Steve Sakoda formerly of 4th Force Recon here at MCBH Hawaii -Kaneohe Bay. Both Marines got in the HIARNG to keep serving their community and country. Their names are on the windshields as if they are driver and A-driver. Neat thing is, EVERYTIME we take the vehicle to a event , people ALWAYS ask WHO Mitch and Steve are!!!!! The answer we give to them is sobering and reverant!! Cpl Sakoda was actually KIA by a IED in Iraq in 06. It makes the public asking who they are instantly aware of these Marines (and others) sacrifices for this country. We have three HMMWVs, One USMC, one USN, and one US Army. The Army one will have the local 25th IDs last HMMWV KIA on the windshields. Heres Steve Sakoda:
Steve Sakoda.jpegSteve Sakoda with  HIARNG.jpgSgt Steve Sakoda HIARNG.jpg, Heres Mitch Chong!!: 30453_118231371553033_6615931_n.jpgSSGT Mitch Chong.jpg

The address for us is: Naval Air Museum Barbers Point, Kapolei, Hawaii, 96707. (Attn: curator Mr. Lance Teruya)
The

ke5eua

Alright, I made a video of doing what you are wanting to do. I show what you need to configure on the plgr and I show using google earth, microsoft map point (street & trips), and ubuntu foxtrotgps.

The foxtrotgps I modified the ui to give a cleaner map view for viewing. As soon as they are live on youtube I will post the videos here. The first one is 10 1/2 minutes long and that one shows the config of the plgr and windows software. The second one shows the foxtrotgps software in ubuntu.

EwaMarine

Mike this is AWESOME , but the screen here is showing "Unable to resolve the server's DNS address". Is all I can see for the videos. Is this my PC or SS?
Brad

ke5eua

Mike this is AWESOME , but the screen here is showing "Unable to resolve the server's DNS address". Is all I can see for the videos. Is this my PC or SS?
Brad
If you can reach YouTube it might be on as side.

I'll post the actual links.

Code:
http://youtu.be/x15PjOVyMJY
Code:
http://youtu.be/_rBMTmCzP2E

ke5eua

Original interface for foxtrotgps

Screenshot from 2014-10-13 19:09:01.jpg

My minimal interface

Screenshot from 2014-10-13 19:20:00.jpg

Both screenshots were taken in full screen mode. I was playing around with the google maps satellite and that's why the location was changed.

Riftweaver

Even though I am looking for a part, I figured I would post in this thread. I'm kind of hoping you like minded individuals might be able to help me. I am looking for the external PLGR antenna cable. I bought one that was supposed to be correct but it must be for the DAGR. It has threaded connectors on both ends. I have seen a couple on eBay but I think they are mis-advertised as that is what I got.

Thanks for all the help Mike! I'll get my set-up running soon.

Rift

ke5eua

Even though I am looking for a part, I figured I would post in this thread. I'm kind of hoping you like minded individuals might be able to help me. I am looking for the external PLGR antenna cable. I bought one that was supposed to be correct but it must be for the DAGR. It has threaded connectors on both ends. I have seen a couple on eBay but I think they are mis-advertised as that is what I got.

Thanks for all the help Mike! I'll get my set-up running soon.

Rift
Yeah the one for the plgr is a d-sub style with only one screw.

There are a couple different styles though. I had one when i first got my plgr that had the sma connector on it but lost it so when I started this project I went looking for another one. Found a guy on eBay, beltfed34, and he has a bunch of stuff.

I just checked his items and didn't see a plgr antenna cable.

He is a real good guy to deal with, you just have to really know what you are looking for as sometimes he might miss label something.

There is a plgr to dagr adapter on ebay but imo it is a little to much. I'll keep on the lookout, and see if I can find anything for you.

This is the dagr cable

!CC5O++g!2k~$(KGrHqQOKo8E0U64M8QhBNM)qmjmmQ~~_12.jpg

Last edited:

EwaMarine

I feel your pain. I got the same stuff from Beltfed34 on Ebay...I have everything I need for a DAGR now! LOL>...Still looking for PLGR gear....But Ill be looking for a DAGR I guess too....as we have all the cables and stuff for MR DAGR...

tim292stro

Probably won't happen unless Mr. Snowden leaks the RTL, schematics, and firmware for the DAGR - it has NSA-grade crypto-gear permanently built in and like HMMWV is summarily destroyed once no longer of use to DoD.

I think this site still has/manufactures the d-sub type RF connector for the PLGR in both 5Meter and 10Meter (under $100). I am not affiliated with nor do I endorse this company - use your own judgement.

tim292stro

Or sold on ebay :)
Only way that would happen is if someone sneaked it off base and out of inventory - didn't go well for the last guy on eBay recently. Being a device with classified crypto hardware (plus the HAVEQUICK anti-jamming hardware) - I'd imagine the charge for receiving a stolen one of those would be similar if not equal to espionage in addition to the ITAR violations (there is a specific clause about receiving "munitions" you are not authorized to receive, or being any part of it's movement outside of proper control) - and then receiving stolen property (and remember DoD is going to use the acquisition cost of the hardware when charging you, not your purchase price). I think (just guessing, not a lawyer) there's more than 25years possible there for being the buyer. Probably safer to stick with a PLGR or consumer gear hidden behind military-looking hardware and "spoof it".

Thread... is... Drifting... :popcorn:

Last edited:

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DAGRs aren't CCI. They don't have HAVEQUICK crypto cards either. They are ITAR controlled items, but aren't quite as controlled as most folks believe. With that said I would not buy one on eBay.

tim292stro

Weird, I was reading the instructor guide for DAGR and that says it can load crypto-keys to decode L1/L2 P(Y) codes for higher precision positioning data, and has built-in anti-spoofing/anti-jamming hardware internally - it can also output the HAVEQUICK 800kHz timing signal without external hardware support... Just need a cable to patch it.

This site seems to agree with the limited documentation I have (specifically it also confirms that it is CCI and restricted from civilian ownership) - are you sure you're not thinking of the Rockwell Collins Polaris Guide? It looks exactly the same as the military DAGR, but doesn't have any of the juicy military grade stuff inside.

Last edited:

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The DAGR can receive the L2 signal and the selective availability secure anti-spoof module (SAASM) make it more accurate and more jam resistant when the DAGR is encrypted. Civilian GPSs do not have that capability. DAGRs are compatible with HAVEQUICK timing, but it does not use HAVEQUICK encryption. HAVEQUICK capable radios only use a DAGR for timing, not for communicating with other radios. The DAGR is not a controlled COMSEC item (CCI), it does not have a type-1 encryption module capable of communicating with another station. A DAGR is receive only. PLGRs and DAGRs both can provide timing for systems that use multiple different type-1 COMSEC standards.

The Polaris Guide cannot receive the L2 frequency, and it does not have a SAASM. It is not an ITAR item like the DAGR.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks