• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I was gifted a 5 gallon fuel can

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ran into a Marine buddy of mine at the last car show I went to and he told me he had a fuel can for me... I picked it up and it was rusted pretty badly.

My kid Jak asked if he could do the resto on it and I gladly said yes. I'm all about helping stoke his passion for the hobby...

So anyway... today he got busy working on it...

Sanding it down...

20211024_134730.jpg

20211024_150317.jpg

Then he painted it to match Bertha....

20211024_151735.jpg

20211024_152712.jpg

Then, using a nylon strap ordered from our very own @Valence (who by the way has EXCELLENT products) we mounted it on Bertha...

20211024_155300.jpg

20211024_155305.jpg

20211024_155315.jpg

I'm not putting fuel in it until I take a long road trip or go deep in the woods, as I think 5 gallons of diesel is just too much of a temptation, but my boy did a GREAT job and I'm proud of him!

wiggall

I ran into a Marine buddy of mine at the last car show I went to and he told me he had a fuel can for me... I picked it up and it was rusted pretty badly.

My kid Jak asked if he could do the resto on it and I gladly said yes. I'm all about helping stoke his passion for the hobby...

Sanding it down...

View attachment 848793

View attachment 848794

View attachment 848795

View attachment 848796

Then, using a nylon strap ordered from our very own @Valence (who by the way has EXCELLENT products) we mounted it on Bertha...

View attachment 848797

View attachment 848798

View attachment 848799

I'm not putting fuel in it until I take a long road trip or go deep in the woods, as I think 5 gallons of diesel is just too much of a temptation, but my boy did a GREAT job and I'm proud of him!
GOOD JOB!

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks great @kendelrio! That's awesome getting your son involved too.

Also, thank you for the kind words about my workmanship. Please forgive me, as I certainly do not intend to step on any toes; I just want everyone to have the best experience, or most convenient use of their strap. The way the strap you bought from me was intended to be put on the Jerry Can Mount is as follows:
  1. First you need to loosen the bolts on the mount.
  2. Insert the "tail" end of the strap (that is the end with the flat metal tip) through the slot of the FRONT of the mount, then route the strap UNDER the mount and back up through the rear slot. This will orient the buckle as depicted below.
    proper_strap_routing_01.jpg
  3. Ensure the strap isn't twisted below the mount and tighten down the mount bolts when you are satisfied with the amount of strap you have for the buckle end (you will have a greater amount of loose 'tail' end of the strap than buckle end). I recommend about as pictured above or as seen below. When properly bolted, the strap shouldn't be able to move under the jerry can mount. If your mount or location for mounting allows the strap to move, it's not a big deal, it'll just require two hands to cinch the buckle tight vs just one hand.
  4. Place your jerry can in the mount and route the 'tail' up the back side of the can, and under the handles as so:
    proper_strap_routing_02.jpg
  5. Thread the 'tail' down through the 'jaws' of the buckle and simply pull upward on the tail to cinch the strap tight.
    proper_strap_routing_03.jpg
  6. Then thread the 'tail' through the bottom portion of the buckle to secure the left-over 'tail':
    proper_strap_routing_04.jpg
  7. If I provided an additional elastic (apologies, I have only been doing so somewhat recently), you can finally thread the excess of the 'tail' through the elastic for an extra secure tail.
    proper_strap_routing_05.jpg

This should make it easier/nicer for you to use and secure down that jerry can! [thumbzup]

Last edited:

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks great @kendelrio! That's awesome getting your son involved too.

Also, thank you for the kind words about my workmanship. Please forgive me, as I certainly do not intend to step on any toes; I just want everyone to have the best experience, or most convenient use of their strap. The way the strap you bought from me was intended to be put on the Jerry Can Mount is as follows:
  1. First you need to loosen the bolts on the mount.
  2. Insert the "tail" end of the strap (that is the end with the flat metal tip) through the slot of the FRONT of the mount, then route the strap UNDER the mount and back up through the rear slot. This will orient the buckle as depicted below.
    View attachment 849163
  3. Ensure the strap isn't twisted below the mount and tighten down the mount bolts when you are satisfied with the amount of strap you have for the buckle end (you will have a greater amount of loose 'tail' end of the strap than buckle end). I recommend about as pictured above or as seen below. When properly bolted, the strap shouldn't be able to move under the jerry can mount. If your mount or location for mounting allows the strap to move, it's not a big deal, it'll just require two hands to cinch the buckle tight vs just one hand.
  4. Place your jerry can in the mount and route the 'tail' up the back side of the can, and under the handles as so:
    View attachment 849164
  5. Thread the 'tail' down through the 'jaws' of the buckle and simply pull upward on the tail to cinch the strap tight.
    View attachment 849165
  6. Then thread the 'tail' through the bottom portion of the buckle to secure the left-over 'tail':
    View attachment 849166
  7. If I provided an additional elastic (apologies, I have only been doing so somewhat recently), you can finally thread the excess of the 'tail' through the elastic for an extra secure tail.
    View attachment 849167

This should make it easier/nicer for you to use and secure down that jerry can! [thumbzup]
Awesome! I honestly had no idea how it was supposed to go. It will be fixed asap. As far as elastic, I can get some. Not a big deal.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome! I honestly had no idea how it was supposed to go. It will be fixed asap. As far as elastic, I can get some. Not a big deal.
where does a "remote operator supervisor" come up with elastic????? OR do I even DARE ask????? LMBO!!

Son did a fine job....................if Guyfang cant find his, I have one on my desk..............................I don't wear it much anymore! LOL

Guyfang

Staff member
where does a "remote operator supervisor" come up with elastic????? OR do I even DARE ask????? LMBO!!

Son did a fine job....................if Guyfang cant find his, I have one on my desk..............................I don't wear it much anymore! LOL
Tony,

Going to have to hit you up on your offer. I can not find my stuff. I KNOW I have a large card with all my rank pins over the years. Don't know where it is, Will keep looking, but if you can send a pin, that would be great. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Roger That, Sir!

Will need an address to complete the mission.....might need the pin clips.....I'm not sure if mine are attached....don't think his son wants a "blood" pinning....LMBO

Awaiting.......

Guyfang

Staff member
Roger That, Sir!

Will need an address to complete the mission.....might need the pin clips.....I'm not sure if mine are attached....don't think his son wants a "blood" pinning....LMBO

Awaiting.......
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Man, blood pinning! When I got promoted to PFC, I got Blood Pinned. I had NO idea what coming. Tears rolling down my face. All my "good" friends laughing. Then a few years later, went from SP/4 to Acting Sargent. Blood Pinning was VERBOTTEN! By then, every soldier in the unit would line up in two lines, and you had to walk between the lines, and they punched you in the shoulder. Then you turned around, and made the walk back. I was not looking forward to that at all.
There were these two big, huge, old Master Sargents in our maintenance platoon. They walked up and said, "Fang, you are in the NCO Corps now. We don't do the Kids stuff." So they shook my hand, and both tapped my shoulders, one on each side. Then I turned around. A third slime ball said, "Fang, look here". These two old Gray Backes reached back into last week and both hit me like a freight train, and at the same time. My arms were like dead meat, I could not move them for 10 min.

If Ken ain't awake, I can send you his address in whatsapp. But the young mans name, we need from Ken.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Man, blood pinning! When I got promoted to PFC, I got Blood Pinned. I had NO idea what coming. Tears rolling down my face. All my "good" friends laughing. Then a few years later, went from SP/4 to Acting Sargent. Blood Pinning was VERBOTTEN! By then, every soldier in the unit would line up in two lines, and you had to walk between the lines, and they punched you in the shoulder. Then you turned around, and made the walk back. I was not looking forward to that at all.
There were these two big, huge, old Master Sargents in our maintenance platoon. They walked up and said, "Fang, you are in the NCO Corps now. We don't do the Kids stuff." So they shook my hand, and both tapped my shoulders, one on each side. Then I turned around. A third slime ball said, "Fang, look here". These two old Gray Backes reached back into last week and both hit me like a freight train, and at the same time. My arms were like dead meat, I could not move them for 10 min.

If Ken ain't awake, I can send you his address in whatsapp. But the young mans name, we need from Ken.
Jak is the young man's name. I'll text Tony my addy....

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Sanding it down...

View attachment 848793

View attachment 848794

View attachment 848795

View attachment 848796

View attachment 848797

View attachment 848798

View attachment 848799

We’re all proud of him! Job well done!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks