• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I went back and bought the truck

V8srfun

I want to start by saying thank you to all of you that helped me realize that I was wrong to think I should not buy a truck because it did not have a turbo.
The truck I purchased is a 72 AM General
M35a2 with winch

The drive home took about 3:45 with no problems so I am happy for that. I was on main highways and tried not to push the truck to hard and ran about 50-52 mph and did not push it past about 56 mph at the fastest. I am happy to have purchased this truck and hope to have lots of fun with it.

There a few things I noticed that I need to address on the way home. The brakes work well but definitely need adjustment because the left front seems to grab slightly more than the rest. There is a clunk in the steering that needs diagnosed. It lost some power along the way and the fuel tank has Some crud in it so I need to clean that up and replace the fuel filters. I am at this point confident that the los of power is from the filters getting clogged from the crud in the tank. I need to do something with the spring seat because it is not enjoyable when it bottoms out. First gear is tight and it makes the 1-2 shift tricky but it starts out in second gear without problem.

Things I plan on doing as preventative maintenance would include replacing all filters, greasing all the fittings, hub service all the way around, replace all wheel cylinders ( then rebuild the old ones and put them on the shelf for future use), adjust all the brakes, and replace all the fluids.

The tool kit, bows, and bed cover were not included With the truck so hopefully I can obtain those things here after I get all of the maintenance taken care of.

here are some pictures

6219D2B1-201C-4641-8F0F-5FFBB931E00E.jpeg

13E38B7F-6F91-4396-B318-FE2BC5283976.jpeg

644BF4D9-D31A-4EFF-A81E-B3DB4401DC9A.jpeg

50AA83E0-4B34-4EB5-A914-D7858C7C5767.jpeg

DDA9A499-1AE2-4BD7-B0F4-8B1740AA145A.jpeg

0FCBAF5C-09A6-4443-98BF-DEA3BB2B1F1C.jpeg

A306CEBF-247E-4AF3-BFCF-34C8B8B02F1D.jpeg

CFA7531D-C730-4AAF-AD29-4F7D171B0484.jpeg

2F37C362-E0FB-4593-A6A8-CB7549566F86.jpeg

Please excuse my ignorance but I am assuming this solar panel is to charge the batteries can someone please confirm or correct me on that.

8BEA49B8-37E9-45EE-A864-6BEDE228F38F.jpeg

Over all I am happy with the truck because all of the other ones I have been around locally were really rusty and seemed much more worn. I feel like I will have a really solid truck with some elbow grease and some new parts. In my area you can not buy a decent pickup truck for what I paid for this and it is way more fun to drive. I took the wife out for a ride after dinner to get some fuel and some more seat time. Almost every person that was out in there yard waved and people were stopping me at the gas station to talk about the truck. This thing attracts lots of attention and seems to put a smile on almost every face that sees it.

I want to start by saying thank you to all of you that helped me realize that I was wrong to think I should not buy a truck because it did not have a turbo.
The truck I purchased is a 72 AM General
M35a2 with winch

The drive home took about 3:45 with no problems so I am happy for that. I was on main highways and tried not to push the truck to hard and ran about 50-52 mph and did not push it past about 56 mph at the fastest. I am happy to have purchased this truck and hope to have lots of fun with it.

There a few things I noticed that I need to address on the way home. The brakes work well but definitely need adjustment because the left front seems to grab slightly more than the rest. There is a clunk in the steering that needs diagnosed. It lost some power along the way and the fuel tank has Some crud in it so I need to clean that up and replace the fuel filters. I am at this point confident that the los of power is from the filters getting clogged from the crud in the tank. I need to do something with the spring seat because it is not enjoyable when it bottoms out. First gear is tight and it makes the 1-2 shift tricky but it starts out in second gear without problem.

Things I plan on doing as preventative maintenance would include replacing all filters, greasing all the fittings, hub service all the way around, replace all wheel cylinders ( then rebuild the old ones and put them on the shelf for future use), adjust all the brakes, and replace all the fluids.

The tool kit, bows, and bed cover were not included With the truck so hopefully I can obtain those things here after I get all of the maintenance taken care of.

here are some pictures

View attachment 800781

View attachment 800782

View attachment 800783

View attachment 800784

View attachment 800785

View attachment 800786

View attachment 800787

View attachment 800788

View attachment 800789

Please excuse my ignorance but I am assuming this solar panel is to charge the batteries can someone please confirm or correct me on that.

View attachment 800790

Over all I am happy with the truck because all of the other ones I have been around locally were really rusty and seemed much more worn. I feel like I will have a really solid truck with some elbow grease and some new parts. In my area you can not buy a decent pickup truck for what I paid for this and it is way more fun to drive. I took the wife out for a ride after dinner to get some fuel and some more seat time. Almost every person that was out in there yard waved and people were stopping me at the gas station to talk about the truck. This thing attracts lots of attention and seems to put a smile on almost every face that sees it.
I have one of the solar panels on my truck. Some have said it charges the battery , others say it de- sulfates it. Either way sounds good.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Unfortunately going down the freeway these things are just gutless. I drove my 68 .....40 miles to tow another duece home. My god. How slow. But will tear a house apart with such low gears and 6 wheel drive

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The small sized solar panel is for de-sulfating only, but very important in keeping the batteries in good shape. The truck appears to be in excellent condition, with the winch, hard top and heater. You ought to come down to the VA MV Rally over the Labor Day weekend. And you should study the GTA 9-1-185 PDF, which should be in the stickies for the Deuce (or just find it on the web). Rally info can be found at gravesmountaintrailrides.com

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Change the oil when warmed up. It is only five gallons.
The design is to drain All the lube oil into the pan on shutdown so install the spin on anti-blowwdown filters. They are available everywhere. DO Not put the crankcase lube oil into the fuel as ONE can not get the soot out. Well you can but it will eat the HH parts, Your Choice.

V8srfun

The small sized solar panel is for de-sulfating only, but very important in keeping the batteries in good shape. The truck appears to be in excellent condition, with the winch, hard top and heater. You ought to come down to the VA MV Rally over the Labor Day weekend. And you should study the GTA 9-1-185 PDF, which should be in the stickies for the Deuce (or just find it on the web). Rally info can be found at gravesmountaintrailrides.com
Thanks for the invite I would love to go to some rally’s but I want to get all the maintenance done first.

smoke

Nice truck. Wish mine looked the good. There is a upgrade shock for the seat , I think one of the venders on here sell it. Also I don't no if you are bigger person but the crank on the front of seat adjust tension for the spring, I think. If wrong some one will say so. Enjoy your new toy.

Katavic918

The small solar panel is a charger/desulfator. There should be a small black box connected to it and my guess is that it says solargizer on it. Mine works great and always keeps the batteries topped off. There are 2 types of brake adjustments on these. One is very simple and is most likely all you should need. It involves the 2 hex heads at the top of the brake drum on the back side. Good luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks