• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Idea for M-1082 RV Conversion

jpg

image.jpg

I would do whatever you can to keep the center of gravity as low as possible, and to keep the systems as simple as possible.

For me, complexity means maintenance. I have no built-in plumbing at all. The 5-gal water cooler is usually stuffed with bottles of water. Water in a tank has a short shelf life and creates its own maintenance headaches, so I only fill it with water when bottles won't do. I have a serious water filter for back country use. The ice box stays stocked with drinks, ready to receive ice when heading out. The Cleanwaste head means no storing waste in a tank in the hot sun, nor waste frozen into a tank in the winter. Cooking is by tactical crock pot, or camp stove outside.

The truck is always stocked with enough non-perishables for a week or 2. All 0 maintenance, consuming no power. With seat belts for 10 or 11, it serves well as a tailgating vehicle, and as a spartan camper with excellent off-road capabilities (for a camper).

I take it deep into the mountains whenever I can. It handles the jeep trails well, with the occasional encounter with a low branch. I keep an axe handy for the big ones. Some of the trails get kind of gnarly, hence my emphasis on a low center of gravity. When the jeep trails fade into ATV trails, I declare victory and park the truck.

Low center of gravity, low complexity, low maintenance. That's what works for me. To each their own.

I'll watch your build with interest, to see if I can copy ideas.

red

Removing the bed is a good idea. Gets the weight lower, less wind resistance, and easier to climb in/out of the camper. Plus you can more easily mount your water tanks/batteries into the trailer subframe, so the weight is as low as possible while not compromising offroad capability.

agazza2

Interior work

Installed the Fiberglass reinforced panel (FRP) of the left side wall this weekend, and added the stove vent, faucet for the sink. Started on installing new switches for the lights, water pump and outside flood lights (which will be aftermarket LEDs). This next weekend will work on the trim work and water lines so I can have running water. Still trying to figure out where to mount the gas water heater, or whether to simplify things and order a 6 gallon electric heater. With the electric you do not need exterior venting and LPG lines :) Here are a few photos of the progress.

Attachments

agazza2

Original Photos

Here a few before photos of the inside prior to completely removing the cabinets. The front will have a bathroom with shower installed where the AC was previously. The original wiring is amazing in these containers by Wheeled coach. They even offer Lifetime warranty on the wiring to the original purchaser. The other thing that is quite impressive is the 2" x 2" square aluminum tube construction. When I pull the other side paneling off, I will take a photo.

Attachments

agazza2

M1082 Camper conversion update

Here are a few updated photos (before and after outside paint & interior). The next few weeks I will be welding support framework that will bolt to the Bed, and to the underside of the body. The mount will sit in the middle of the trailer and allow the weight of the box to directly push down on the center of the trailer and pre-load the springs. Hoping to have it ready to take to the January Arizona Military Vehicles Collector Club Annual car show in Tempe, AZ. I may not have the tool boxes built to cover the wheel wells by the time of the show.

Attachments

Last edited:

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That does look good. Nice work!

Are your wheel wells square? That would make a dandy spot for a fitted (removable) storage box on each side, if you trimmed them back.

Last edited:

agazza2

That does look good. Nice work!

Are your wheel wells square? That would make a dandy spot for a fitted (removable) storage box on each side, if you trimmed them back.
Yes, The wheel wells are squared inside. I will be trimming them back as you said and building storage boxes. Removable is good, so I can remove them and still pick the box up with a forklift if needed.

agazza2

Update to the M1082 camper build

I am still following this build. Any more updates?
Work completed
I have actually been doing a lot of work to get it ready for the 26th Arizona Military Vehicle show this weekend, but have not had a chance to post. I will take photos this weekend of the progress I have made. Some of the things that have been done:
- Built 2" x 6" frame under box, that bolts down through existing tie down holes once the anchors are removed. Allows the box to also fit the FMTV bed.
- Install one HWMMV antenna bracket at front of box for omni-directional dome TV antenna
- Install one HWMMV antenna bracket at rear of box for amber convoy beacon
- Installed plate over front pass through hole, as that area inside the box will become the new shower & toilet area for the build out.

Other items I am planning to make the box look military:
- build guards around rear windows (Like the ones on MRAP windows
- build tool boxes/doors in wheel wells and rear opening
- Use holes where ladder originally installed in rear to support brackets that hold jerry cans on back of box
- Paint on side - US Army Special Operations
- Build bracket on front to support two LPG bottles, and quick disconnect to lower body for gas grill.
- Install air bags on springs to help with stability ( springs are very long on this trailer)
- Mount small receiver on bottom bumper to hold bike rack
- Install up to 8 solar panels on roof for complete solar solution instead of running generator.
- Bought FMTV fuel tank brackets to mount frame mounted boxes and generator lower.

- Update 2/19/17 - woke up Sunday morning from a dream about building the side porch for the trailer. My idea is to use the existing side hinges as an attachment point, and redo the pull-out lifting extensions with longer extensions to support the porch wen folded down. I think I would have to add an additional pull out extension in the middle to provide a 12' long by 4' wide porch. Possible use the original sides on the porch once it is lowered.

Last edited:

agazza2

2/8/2017 update

Here are a few recent photos of the inside with some additional trim installed, and partially completed underneath support brackets that attach the the existing holes in the bed that had the D-rings installed. I also have added spaces in the center of the 2" x 6" steel tubing since these photos were taken. Still need to know off the slag, but ran out of time before it started to get dark out the night before the show.

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking good! I'm picking up my hi/low shelter the 1st weekend in March. Hopefully I'll get the build on it going before we head out to Ireland in May.

agazza2

Looking good! I'm picking up my hi/low shelter the 1st weekend in March. Hopefully I'll get the build on it going before we head out to Ireland in May.
When the hi/low shelter first came out on auction I wanted one, but they were all in the Ohio. After shipping they would be quite expensive. I look forward to your build.
Have you seen these hardtops for the M1078 & M1082s - http://www.amtechcorp.com/product.php

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks