• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Identifying tires/rims

rtadams89

Background: I recently bought a M35 that had already been upgraded/customized including singling out the back axles and upgrading all tires to Michelin XL 14.5R20 tires. I'd like to get a spare tire/wheel just in case and have read all the threads on the XZLs and other options. My issue is I know next to nothing about rims/tires, so I am having trouble identifying what rims I currently have to determine what tires I can use. I've tried searching, but since I don't know what these rims are called, I'm having trouble finding anything useful. I don't think these are "split rims", but I could be wrong.

So, what are these rims called?

IMG_1808.jpgIMG_1809.jpgIMG_1810.jpgIMG_1811.jpg

tobyS

What 98G said!

I see you have lockout(s). That is on the front axle, isn't it? Nice aftermarket upgrade. A few have been put on one rear.

Do you have an M35A3 or earlier model truck?

rtadams89

"A3" rims. They're OEM on M35A3 trucks.

Market price is about $200 each. There's not a lot of them.
How do you describe these types of rims? They aren't "split rims" are they? "two piece"?

I ask because most tire places won't touch split rims, but I'm not sure about what ever these are.

Last edited:

rtadams89

What 98G said!

I see you have lockout(s). That is on the front axle, isn't it? Nice aftermarket upgrade. A few have been put on one rear.

Do you have an M35A3 or earlier model truck?
I have a M35A2. There are manual lockouts on the front and middle axle. I haven't had it long, and in fact, today was the first time I had it out in the dirt. The locks out worked great, but the middle axle ones leak a slight bit since there is no seal on that axle.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How do you describe these types of rims? They aren't "split rims" are they? "two piece"?

I ask because most tire places won't touch split rims, but I'm not sure about what ever these are.
They are 2 piece bolt together rims with a large o-ring between the 2 halves ( which are known to leak ).

rtadams89

Awesome. Now I just have to figure out tires. I currently have 6 Michelin XL 14.5R20s on my truck, and would like a spare that has the same height. I think I will probably go with a Michelin XZL 365/85R20 on a M35A3 rim.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
................. so I am having trouble identifying what rims I currently have to determine what tires I can use.
..................So, what are these rims called?
What you have are so called 2-pc take-apart, tubeless wheels. They have a 20" diameter, MPT rim-style and a nominal width of 11 inches (W20x11 MPT).
All of the M44A3 series trucks came with the wheels/tires you have pictured.

If you are looking specifically for Michelin XZL tires to replace the original XL 14.5R20 tires, the exact equivalent size would be 365/80R20, catalog number 97627.
See chart below...

Attachments

Last edited:

peashooter

Awesome. Now I just have to figure out tires. I currently have 6 Michelin XL 14.5R20s on my truck, and would like a spare that has the same height. I think I will probably go with a Michelin XZL 365/85R20 on a M35A3 rim.
It would be nice to have an identical spare to your other 6 tires. But just in case you didn't know, since you have lockouts on the front and Middle axle, you DON'T NEED to get a spare that's the exact same size as the rest. If you replace a front steer tire, just make sure the hubs are unlocked and/or the front axle isn't engaged. If you replace one of the 4 rear tires, just make SURE that the center axle lockout is UNLOCKED. Folks without a lockout in the rear cant change a rear tire with one of a different size or their will be some gear fighting going on... and probably some expensive repairs after the fight is over.

Obviously you don't want to drive far with a "mini-spare" but its nice to know you can if needed just like with most passenger cars. My truck has 395/85r-20 all around and on the M105 trailer, My spare tire is a Michelin 1100x20 (I think) on a stock deuce split rim. I can use it for a spare anywhere on the truck/trailer (assuming I unlock the rear{middle} axle if needed).

rtadams89

My plan at present (if I get a flat I can't repair) is to swap the flat tire to the middle axel, make sure the lockout hub on that one is set to free, and then chain it up to the frame with a trucker chain. That should allow me to limp along until I get somewhere I can repair/replace that flat tire.

tobyS

The 11.00 x 20 is the same diameter within a fraction of 1% on the revolutions per mile.

I like the idea of keeping 2 spares at home, one for the left and one for the right, and having a spare that I can more easily handle on the road. I'm wondering if there is a 20" 6 lug rim that does not have the offset of a Budd rim? And would it seem this spare would be a (radial) tube type.

Who-ever did your truck apparently did it right, lockouts and all. Nice! Post some truck pics when you have a chance.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks