• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Identifying tires/rims

rtadams89

Background: I recently bought a M35 that had already been upgraded/customized including singling out the back axles and upgrading all tires to Michelin XL 14.5R20 tires. I'd like to get a spare tire/wheel just in case and have read all the threads on the XZLs and other options. My issue is I know next to nothing about rims/tires, so I am having trouble identifying what rims I currently have to determine what tires I can use. I've tried searching, but since I don't know what these rims are called, I'm having trouble finding anything useful. I don't think these are "split rims", but I could be wrong.

So, what are these rims called?

IMG_1808.jpgIMG_1809.jpgIMG_1810.jpgIMG_1811.jpg

tobyS

What 98G said!

I see you have lockout(s). That is on the front axle, isn't it? Nice aftermarket upgrade. A few have been put on one rear.

Do you have an M35A3 or earlier model truck?

rtadams89

"A3" rims. They're OEM on M35A3 trucks.

Market price is about $200 each. There's not a lot of them.
How do you describe these types of rims? They aren't "split rims" are they? "two piece"?

I ask because most tire places won't touch split rims, but I'm not sure about what ever these are.

Last edited:

rtadams89

What 98G said!

I see you have lockout(s). That is on the front axle, isn't it? Nice aftermarket upgrade. A few have been put on one rear.

Do you have an M35A3 or earlier model truck?
I have a M35A2. There are manual lockouts on the front and middle axle. I haven't had it long, and in fact, today was the first time I had it out in the dirt. The locks out worked great, but the middle axle ones leak a slight bit since there is no seal on that axle.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How do you describe these types of rims? They aren't "split rims" are they? "two piece"?

I ask because most tire places won't touch split rims, but I'm not sure about what ever these are.
They are 2 piece bolt together rims with a large o-ring between the 2 halves ( which are known to leak ).

rtadams89

Awesome. Now I just have to figure out tires. I currently have 6 Michelin XL 14.5R20s on my truck, and would like a spare that has the same height. I think I will probably go with a Michelin XZL 365/85R20 on a M35A3 rim.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
................. so I am having trouble identifying what rims I currently have to determine what tires I can use.
..................So, what are these rims called?
What you have are so called 2-pc take-apart, tubeless wheels. They have a 20" diameter, MPT rim-style and a nominal width of 11 inches (W20x11 MPT).
All of the M44A3 series trucks came with the wheels/tires you have pictured.

If you are looking specifically for Michelin XZL tires to replace the original XL 14.5R20 tires, the exact equivalent size would be 365/80R20, catalog number 97627.
See chart below...

Attachments

Last edited:

peashooter

Awesome. Now I just have to figure out tires. I currently have 6 Michelin XL 14.5R20s on my truck, and would like a spare that has the same height. I think I will probably go with a Michelin XZL 365/85R20 on a M35A3 rim.
It would be nice to have an identical spare to your other 6 tires. But just in case you didn't know, since you have lockouts on the front and Middle axle, you DON'T NEED to get a spare that's the exact same size as the rest. If you replace a front steer tire, just make sure the hubs are unlocked and/or the front axle isn't engaged. If you replace one of the 4 rear tires, just make SURE that the center axle lockout is UNLOCKED. Folks without a lockout in the rear cant change a rear tire with one of a different size or their will be some gear fighting going on... and probably some expensive repairs after the fight is over.

Obviously you don't want to drive far with a "mini-spare" but its nice to know you can if needed just like with most passenger cars. My truck has 395/85r-20 all around and on the M105 trailer, My spare tire is a Michelin 1100x20 (I think) on a stock deuce split rim. I can use it for a spare anywhere on the truck/trailer (assuming I unlock the rear{middle} axle if needed).

rtadams89

My plan at present (if I get a flat I can't repair) is to swap the flat tire to the middle axel, make sure the lockout hub on that one is set to free, and then chain it up to the frame with a trucker chain. That should allow me to limp along until I get somewhere I can repair/replace that flat tire.

tobyS

The 11.00 x 20 is the same diameter within a fraction of 1% on the revolutions per mile.

I like the idea of keeping 2 spares at home, one for the left and one for the right, and having a spare that I can more easily handle on the road. I'm wondering if there is a 20" 6 lug rim that does not have the offset of a Budd rim? And would it seem this spare would be a (radial) tube type.

Who-ever did your truck apparently did it right, lockouts and all. Nice! Post some truck pics when you have a chance.