• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

If my deuce can't be camo, what color???

stumps

Hi Gang,

I know this is pure heresy, but...

Even though I love the camo colors and paint pattern, and I love the mechanical marvel that is a deuce, and I am easily lazy enough to leave the paint as it comes from DL...

I have no interest in being mistaken for a soldier, or accepting accolades for glory that isn't mine; and I have no interest in playing army.

So...

If I want to run a former army truck, but don't want my truck to look like it is in the army, and for that matter don't want it to be noticed at all, what is the the right paint job for a civilian deuce?

Thanks!

-Chuck

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will be difficult to make your truck unnoticeable. The truck looks military even if you paint it a civilian color. I suggest solid green or solid tan. Camo definitely stands out more since you don't see camo trucks every day.

dc3coyote

paint it black, with lots of random symbols. You wont go unnoticed, but you wont be confused for military. Maybe paint "Weather balloon collection" on the back,

stumps

paint it black, with lots of random symbols. You wont go unnoticed, but you wont be confused for military. Maybe paint "Weather balloon collection" on the back,
Oh Joy! I can see it now! Not only will I be accosted by the "I hate <fill in the blank>" crowd, I will attract the "black helicopter" crowd, and the "tin foil hat" crowd.

Rust, bondo, and primer always worked on my pickup truck to make it invisible. Maybe military camo isn't so bad?

I suppose I could paint it in a camo pattern with a more urban theme: slightly blurry Honda's, Toyota's, parking meters, fireplugs, and trash cans?

This hobby is so complicated! GL, EUC's, and temporary tags. I just wanted a 6WD truck, with a winch, that burns miscellaneous liquid hydrocarbons!

-Chuck

Now, Harleyrider, that was just plain harsh. ;-) I think the poor boy really enjoys riding in the big bad army truck, just doesn't want people to notice anything but the big smile on his face.

As we've seen from the "ugliest m.v." threads in the past, even a very classy paint job in anything but OD gets a "yep, it's ugly" from this crowd. But, if rust,bondo and primer worked on the pickup, try it on the deuce. Just don't do any kind of pattern. If it looks like a continual work in progress, it may be okay. Just don't tell anyone it's supposed to look like that.

m109guy

I think you would have to paint it white not to stand out as much. Most large commercial trucks are white (standard color). I have seen some white deuces, and while I would rather see it green, it is not that bad.

Pictures are from Dave's (Eastern Surplus) website.

Last edited:

stumps

White sure looks nice! No way it would be mistaken for an active duty truck...Very, very, visible, though...

Parker2's Rustoleum rusty metal primer brown looks very nice too! It seems quite a bit less noticeable... it looks more like an old truck... I like it!

I am also thinking about flat battle ship gray, aka primer gray...

Looks like I am not the only one uncomfortable with being mistaken for a soldier driving an active duty truck. I think I would shrivel in my boots, and die of shame if someone saluted me and thanked me for service I didn't perform...

-Chuck

Parker2

^^That's true I think the rustoleum does make it look like an older model, but what the hey.
If you didnt want to leave it primer they do make the exact color in paint.

dcwilkie

Paint it white. No matter what shape it is, people tend to think it's some kind of business truck.
Gray is out- too Navy. Black is out- too "sinister".

2cents

nhdiesel

If you don't live anywhere near a naval base, how about the blue they use? I just saw a thread showing some of the blue trucks, and they look pretty sharp. Still true to the military vehicle they are, yet different from the typical green. Where I live, I've never seen a blue Deuce in person, so having one here would be different.

Jim

Welcome to my dilemma!

Mine is still OD Green, Tan, and reddish rustproofer with a Brown, Beige and (possibly, at some point) red camper on the back.

I just can't pick a color. It isn't military, the camper in no way looks military, I don't want people to think I am military... but then again... desert tan just looks so good!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know it would cost dearly but I really like the weathered look. I think Devin had a Mog that had weathered paint. A good person with the air brush could make it look like it hasn't moved in decades. Federal Yellow would make it look like it belongs to the local construction company.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks