• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

If my deuce can't be camo, what color???

Ruppster

Member of questionable origins
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you would have to paint it white not to stand out as much. Most large commercial trucks are white (standard color). I have seen some white deuces, and while I would rather see it green, it is not that bad.
Are you saying white is not a military paint scheme? Up here in Alaska they call that "Arctic Camo". :-D

Ruppster
1985 M1009

stumps

A lot of great ideas guys! And I really appreciate all of the pictures. They help me visualize what is possible. Keep 'em coming!

Thanks!

-Chuck

tamangel

look at some older civilian heavier truck paint schemes.. classic (1949-1965) Mack B models for instance.. Fenders one color, body another..tasteful, complements the unique style and looks good also.. Agreed on the statement that you will always have the Military look but might attempt a more 'non-OD look..maybe not as far as the 'Malibu Deuce' however, but to each their own..

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/members-rides/2437-malibu-california-style-black-duece.html

Mike

edit: came up with some old Mack paint schemes: note: no endorsement (especially the green and yellow one), just examples..

Attachments

Last edited:

roscoe

I use mine in my business and kicked around the idea of alternative colors, but nothing looks as good to me on these trucks as green or camo. I went ahead and painted two in camo pattern of my design. Didn't do the standard military pattern. I think a lot of the people are doing the thumbs up because the trucks cool. It should be obvious your not military unless your dressed that way.

stumps

Painting it to not stand out? It's like trying to hide an elephant in a strawberry patch by painting it's toenails red.
Oh, I think you know what I mean. Hot pink would universally draw attention. Brown, or white, maybe less so. I don't want every person in town to look at me when I go to the feed store, and titter about how I am playing soldier. I don't want every LEO to look at my truck and wonder, "What is that doing here, and what is GI Joe up to?" I want to get about my business and be ignored.

To me, my deuce is just a farm truck... a really cool farm truck, but a farm truck none the less.

Why a deuce? I have a whole lot of farm that you couldn't drive over with any commercial truck that I could afford. Ever see a tree farm after it has been harvested? It's easier navigated with a 'dozer than with a truck. A 4WD pickup truck wouldn't get 20 feet. That is how I came upon the screen name "stumps".

-Chuck

digitaldust

White and paint UN on the doors in blue , gloss black and CIA on the doors in yellow ?
Or Omaha Orange get a few barrels with the light ...... if someone is waving at you wile driving it its not that YOU look army its they
respect the position that stands for freedom. I doubt your in there mind as a person , the truck is in there memory as a symbol
I ware camo when working on my truck and playing with it I also ware plaid shirts. I get the same wow nice truck never what unit are you. Have a good feeling about what that truck is symbolic of , and shes a fun thing to climb around and work on

Last edited:

mikew

I too didn't want to be confused with someone in active duty, I just wanted to enjoy a fun machine.

As you can see mine is bobbed.

It's not battleship grey, it's a little darker standard Chevy color that's got a hint of metallic in it.

Attachments

DieselBob

I'm kind of partial to the brown that Parker2 has. Nice understated color. When I use to go to the local DQ there was a fellow that painted his anglia primer gray and satin top coat. Looked good but not shiny .

M725

Hi Gang,

I know this is pure heresy, but...

Even though I love the camo colors and paint pattern, and I love the mechanical marvel that is a deuce, and I am easily lazy enough to leave the paint as it comes from DL...

I have no interest in being mistaken for a soldier, or accepting accolades for glory that isn't mine; and I have no interest in playing army.

So...

If I want to run a former army truck, but don't want my truck to look like it is in the army, and for that matter don't want it to be noticed at all, what is the the right paint job for a civilian deuce?

Thanks!

-Chuck
I would not worry about being mistaken for a soldier, unless you are running around in full ACUs (uniform). Driving my army truck all I was ever asked was how can I get one?, where did I get it?, how much?, cool truck.
Paint it camo if it was the color for that year or what every color for that year or service you like, if you are a collector.
If not paint it hot pink:p or what color you like a military truck is a military truck and most people who know something about the military will know.
If you don't want to get notice (stand out), you need to get a new civilan truck.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Several options come to mind:

Bright hippy colors in a flower scheme (ala Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In);

Metalic Silver with UFO/Area51/little green men/ and "UFO Ground Support" on the doors...
(Oh, you wanted to blend in, didn't you?)
:mrgreen::rolleyes::tin hat::jumpin:

How about grass on the bottom, cityscape across torso high, and sky on top---> Urban Camo?

Paisley?

Ok... enuff!!!

ON a more realistic note:
Centeral High School (here in San Angelo, TX) has the exterior of their Art Department building as a LARGE canvas for the students to paint each year. Each student has a panel on the wall about 16'x16' or more.... all are very creative. How about contacting your local schools - propose an artistic paint scheme contest... The winner's concept to be painted on your "canvas". The bigger benefit is that if you supply the paint, they can supply the LABOR!!!! (Just a thought)

Let us know what you decide and how it turns out.... We'll be WATCHING:!:....

saddamsnightmare

September 12th, 2009.

Dear Stumps:

I must concur with M725 above, but permit me to opine that if you want a truck to blend in, buy a civillian truck. No matter what you do with a deuce and a half paintwise, everybody knows what it was (or is), and should the US ever be attacked by an outside power, you, I and all of us that own these beasts will be on the target list. No matter what was done with them as a logging truck back home, they were very much known and respected for what they were.
My truck still carries its Desert Storm paint job and unit markings, and I keep it up as such, even though it is a working truck for me. I honor the men and women that served with it from Vietnam to Desert Storm by the respect I, and others give the truck.... it is their
memorial.:-D

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks