• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

If political discussion is not allowed, why are political ads accepted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

3dAngus

No, it won't work because you "tell them to go away". The programming isn't looking for suggestions. It's looking for key words. So basically you gave it...

Obama
Political
Las Vegas
gambling

You do the math on what it should display?
Yeah, I understand keywords, databases, parsing, spiders, cookies, and such.

I'm just playing. I had fun. It's kinda cool, the newer technologies and the way they capture what you say. Just the tip of the iceberg.

We don't want to be discussing politics. It's not healty for the site, nor for the comraderie of the people on the site. Bad news all the way around.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It's amazing to me how just the word "politics" can bring up a heated discussion on this site. It's just an ad. I don't even notice them.[/QUOTE]

The only one I ever looked at was the ad for the little time waster truck games, the other then that NEVER

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Is that legal? So I have the right to limit anyone's constitutional rights huh? I'll bet of the creator of this site wanted to ban weapons, all of you would cry fowl.
Yes, you do have that right. If someone comes onto your property and starts yammering about magical golden tablets and seer stones, you can eject them as you please.

How long do you think Wal-Mart (or Bank of America, Apple, etc.) would let you stand in one of their stores and go on about how much they suck?

The First Amendment is misunderstood by a lot of people.

It is a guarantee of free speech, with limitations (i.e. the well known anecdote about yelling fire in a movie theatre).

It is also a guarantee of free speech in public-i.e. the public square. Not in my living room.......... or for that matter, steelsoldiers.com's living room.

Edited to add (and this is not directed at flighth2k5, just in general):

I also ignore the ads. Part of remaining sane and also having an IQ over 40 requires you to ignore the onslaught of advertising that hits you every day.

I remember an article a few years ago that calculated how many ads an average person was exposed to every day and it was outlandish. Just think, from the moment you get up:

The ads on your breakfast materials
The ads on the radio while you eat
The ads on your toothpaste, deodorant, etc.
The ads we wear on our clothing (branded t's, etc.)
The ads on the web you see on your phone and on the pc at work
The ads on billboards
The ads in the paper you read at lunch when your phone is dead
The ads on the bus you rode back from lunch
The ads on the bus stop benches you sat on waiting for the next bus
The ads on TV when you get home

My head just exploded.

Last edited:

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some people here have WAY too much time on their hands and tend to pick apart anything political they can which doesn't side with their views. (No I'm not talking about JCKnife)

Wish more people would take this mindset. (tune things out)
The best way I found to tune out all the BS is to roll another one..!:razz:

3dAngus

The fact that some people don't notice them is intentional. It is well and appropriately placed. I notice some of them. I like the TNJ Murray and Memphis ads. Gives me quick and ready access when I need a part.

This site is well laid out and appropriately infomapped where you can get to anything you want on it in less that 30 seconds per page, which is or was the standard when I went to school in Wash D.C. on infomapping.

I love the fact that the ads are there creating a revenue stream, yet, they are not so offensive via pop ups or overwriting your web page, and discrete enought you can overlook them at will. It's been well done!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1st Ammendment, bill of rights.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Congress has made no law, Steelsoldiers did.

Westech

CPL
you know I would have closed this post a few back. Question was asked... question answered... and the funny farm opens its doors. Might be time to shut them... I just sayin 2cents

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BTW, Clinto mentioned Free Speech, I personally know alot about the subject. I am currently in Court right now on a freedom of speech case. I gave my X, a lawyer bad feedback and published the truth and was charged with 4 felony's, 2 are called "unlawful posting" for the posts and publishing and 2 for using a computer in the commission of a crime. Our Oakland County Prosecutor wants to singlehandedly change our first amendment right to freedom of speech to include what amounts to is bad feedback.

Last week they offered me 5 years probation, I refused. I am guilty of nothing. I am taking my case to a Jury Trial October 29th to ensure they will not charge anyone else down the road with the same thing. If I loose I will get 3-5 years in prison. I am not worried at all I am fully confident in the Jury system. The trial will take 3-4 days. I am fully confident I will post the outcome, if not I lost.

The only reason I am putting this out there is to let you all know there is still people out there that will fight and or die for whats right and will not be intimidated by anything or anyone for the betterment of our fellow mans rights.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
you know I would have closed this post a few back. Question was asked... question answered... and the funny farm opens its doors. Might be time to shut them... I just sayin 2cents
I could, but then I'd get a stinging PM of how I'm violating people's rights by closing the thread. :deadhorse:

Tanner

...if you closed the post, then I couldn't add inane babble about -

"... due to the searchbots/cookies/parsing/etc, you should NEVER type in 'cross-dressing elderly midget mud-wrestling."

Boy, did I EVER LEARN a LESSON about that...

'Tanner'

flighht2k5

Banned
Yes, you do have that right. If someone comes onto your property and starts yammering about magical golden tablets and seer stones, you can eject them as you please.

How long do you think Wal-Mart (or Bank of America, Apple, etc.) would let you stand in one of their stores and go on about how much they suck?

The First Amendment is misunderstood by a lot of people.

It is a guarantee of free speech, with limitations (i.e. the well known anecdote about yelling fire in a movie theatre).

It is also a guarantee of free speech in public-i.e. the public square. Not in my living room.......... or for that matter, steelsoldiers.com's living room.

Edited to add (and this is not directed at flighth2k5, just in general):

I also ignore the ads. Part of remaining sane and also having an IQ over 40 requires you to ignore the onslaught of advertising that hits you every day.

I remember an article a few years ago that calculated how many ads an average person was exposed to every day and it was outlandish. Just think, from the moment you get up:

The ads on your breakfast materials
The ads on the radio while you eat
The ads on your toothpaste, deodorant, etc.
The ads we wear on our clothing (branded t's, etc.)
The ads on the web you see on your phone and on the pc at work
The ads on billboards
The ads in the paper you read at lunch when your phone is dead
The ads on the bus you rode back from lunch
The ads on the bus stop benches you sat on waiting for the next bus
The ads on TV when you get home

My head just exploded.
Sounds good to me :)

JCKnife

I could, but then I'd get a stinging PM of how I'm violating people's rights by closing the thread. :deadhorse:
If my status as thread starter carries any weight, lock it up!

And p.s. in light of this information, threads about transmissions should avoid use of the word "tranny."

gazongas chesticles mamaries life preservers

steelandcanvas

Management also has the "right" to either ban you, or give you a few days off to think about your "rights" and their "rights".
By the way, I mentioned this same subject in another thread last week, guess no one paid attention.

Flyingvan911

The site rules are protecting our Maranda rights. On certain prohibited topics you have the right to remain silent. I just ignore what I don't want to bother with. Some adds just pop up and go away without worry.

Vote for me in Octember of 3016. :deadhorse:

MarcusOReallyus

"Life preservers"????

Okay, that's just weird!

:mrgreen:

As to First Amendment rights, clinto already said it quite well.

The right of private property is ALSO a fundamental right. This site is SS's private property, and they can ban you because you are black, yellow, white, Christian, atheist, Jewish, Abanian, or any other reason or for no reason other than feeling pissy that day. They can tell you what you can say and cannot say. It's their property, it's their rules.

In your house, it's your rules.

That's how that works.

zout

ya just knew I was going to toss something in here being the laid back sort of person I am and never ever trying to stir up trouble.:popcorn: just an innocent bystander on this one.

Content
subbmissive
handcuffs
tied up
cherries
minding my own business and not being a worthless busybody nit picking everyones post sort of fella :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks