• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

If you have an M105A2 with an undamaged valve ...

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jones,

I have the same thing on the M105A2, with the part missing -that is mine looks like yours.

Jones

I'll go by the brake shop tomorrow and get what they have in servicable vents. Any I end up with, you guys are welcome to.
Since nothing is supposed to get close to the vent it's likely that the plastic just deteriorated over time or that it was smacked by a wayward wrench or tire-propelled rock.
The stem is what the rubber disc slides over and it's retained by a small clip or in some cases, a brad that presses into the center piece. The rubber disc isn't a tight fit so that exhausting air can blow by it to vent. Then it just kinda returns to it's original form to close off the opening. Nesting insects aren't smart enough to fly down, land and pull on the edges to see if they can get past it.

Jones

Kaiser, The Bendix wasp excluders are just held in with a spring clip. The whole plastic assy. slides in and the retainer keeps it in place. Not sure how the Midlands are. I'll have to do a little more studying.
OPCOM, I can get the Bendix parts once we know which valve you have.

KaiserM109

Attachments

KaiserM109

There is an internal 'C' clip tht holds some internal parts in. In this picture you can see it if you know what you are looking for. It is a little rusty, it opens to about the 4 o'clock position. I haven't taken it off to see what comes out.

A question for someone who knows brakes: Will it work okay if you completely bypass this valve by taking the service line and running it directly to the booster? Obviously you would not have the safety factor of a lockup if the air lines are lost.

Attachments

KaiserM109 said:
There is an internal 'C' clip tht holds some internal parts in. In this picture you can see it if you know what you are looking for. It is a little rusty, it opens to about the 4 o'clock position. I haven't taken it off to see what comes out.

A question for someone who knows brakes: Will it work okay if you completely bypass this valve by taking the service line and running it directly to the booster? Obviously you would not have the safety factor of a lockup if the air lines are lost.[/quote I think that the brakes will take longer to release when applied with the foot pedal or johnny bar as this valve also acts as a quick release when brake is released. this is not good if the trailer wheels are locked up and your trying to keep it behind you. this is the reason for the relay valve.

Jones

Another thing the emergency relay valve does is to enable a graduated application, based on what the service line is telling it, should air pressure be lost; so you can stay in control of the vehicle instead of having the brakes apply all at once, stranding you out in a traffic lane.
And, in the event of loss (breakaway) of the trailer, it applies the trailer brakes without need of a command from the rest of the brake system.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dave, the older trailers don't have a relay valve at all. The have a single airline that comes from the service side of the truck and goes right to the brake chamber that applies the master cylinder.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That and breakaway are probably a couple of the many reasons they switched to the current system.

KaiserM109

That is all well and nice, but if it is so fragile that nobody has a working unit, what good is it? I would rather bypass it and know I don’t have it than have it get obstructed by a wasp’s nest and fail on the road.

The 2 I have were broken being moved around in motor pools. There are marks on the frame near the one I photo’d from fork lifts. They look like they are vulnerable to damage from road debris or high centering in rough territory.

The members of this list are quite anxious to help others out of genuine concern. I started another thread http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=15404 asking for someone with a complete unit to photograph it and possibly even disassemble the wasp excluder. As of this morning it has been view 75 times and there are 0 replies. That tells me that nobody has a good unit.

If I have to replace the whole thing, it will be $65 plus either a $36 core charge or shipping charges for the core.

What are you guys with M105A2s doing?

jasonjc

Out of the 5 M105A2 trailer that I have 2 are older and do not have a relay valve. 1 the tank and valve were removed before I got it. And the other two are in the same shape as yours. One the valve is bent over to one side some what and the wasp thing is gone. the over has a rubber disk that seems to be missing some thing or is just worn out or bad. It is not sealing anything.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, work has kept me from getting under my trailer. I'll be off tomorrow if you can hold off.

jasonjc

So far I have not towed mine any where. The 2 newest to me are of the older type and only have 1 air line , and they are in the best shape. As for fixing the other ones: 1 is scrap; 1 is a rust bucket, but may be saved; 1 is good and will needed to be fixed. I'm whatching this thread to see how you and other fix them, I'm in no rush. Trailers are low on my list of things to fix right now.

Jones

Kaiser, The Bendix replacement is an RE-6 Relay Emergency Valve. I can email you their Quick Reference Catalog and Air Brake Handbook as .pdf files; or post it to the library if there's enough general interest. Let me know.

KaiserM109

I'm sure there are folks who would like to know where to get an equivelent. http://bepco.biz is a source on an exact replacement.

I would like to find a way to solve the broken wasp excluder problem for about $5 instead of $65 to $98. I swore off Chrysler when I had to buy a $350 cooling fan assembly because a poorly designed $3 piece went bad. We should be able to get our hands on just the parts we need, not the whole assembly. sales@midlandindustrial.com is the place to ask. I believe that the part number is KN30200X. Maybe if enough of us ask for the parts, they will sell them to us at a reasonable price.

I'll confirm the part number some time this week when I get back over to the storage yard. These OD machines are an expensive hobby if you don't own a piece of land! I grew up a country boy in Western Colorado and do I miss it!

Jones

OK, here's what I've been able to find out so far.
New Midland valve $135.00, my cos.t
Rebuilt Midland valve $66.00, my cost.
Rebuild kit $42.00, my cost.
The wasp excluder is not available by itself, but IS included in the rebuild kit.
If it was me, I'd probably go with the kit and rebuild the valve as long as I had it out and on the bench.
AND, for all of you who asked; here are pictures of the valve, what the wasp excluder looks like and what's stacked under it. FWIW: Disassembly is pretty simple once the retqining clip is removed (spring-loaded components within), but reassembly is pretty much a three-handed job.

Attachments