• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Illinois humvee title problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExFlyBoy

Update

Well..... I lost the battle. I have been issued an off road title, not for highway use.
They (Illinois Secretary of State) are holding fast to their stance on it not being approved for on road use...... per the letter from AM General.... probably the one from late 80’s..... even with all the documentation that other SS members have sent me to help me in my cause. The SOS has turned a blind eye to all of it. First it was how big and distracting the vehicle was, then it was over weight for my “B” truck plates, then the previous owner signed the “hold harmless “ agreement, and now it’s the ancient AM General letter stating how it was never intended for on road use.....
I will still continue to write letters to higher ups in the SOS and to Congressmen, but I’ll have to continue doing it with and Indiana title and registration number..... I’m selling to my dad (at least on paper), a resident of Indiana, so I can be legal on the streets...... Illinois has put a hold on my plates, and depending on how many cages I rattled, may have flagged them to local law enforcement....( I’ll be checking that tomorrow)
So I will continue with the letters, but I have to chill with the random phone calls to everyone and their mother at the SOS.
Thank you to the members for the support, documents, letters, and links for my fight. You know who you are. I really appreciate all the help and the time you invested.
If anything changes or I receive any new information I will definitely update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just get a Vermont plate and be done with it. It will suck to pay sales tax again but you will have a plated truck.
Many states have laws requiring you to register a vehicle where you reside, within X number of days of establishing residence. Plates from elsewhere are deemed invalid, and operating the vehicle with them becomes a crime. (As opposed to just a traffic violation).

Although I am unaware of the specifics of Illinois law, I'm just short of dead certain that an Illinois resident with an IL drivers license operating a vehicle with Vermont plates registered in his name will fall afoul of this and result in badness.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many states have laws requiring you to register a vehicle where you reside, within X number of days of establishing residence. Plates from elsewhere are deemed invalid, and operating the vehicle with them becomes a crime. (As opposed to just a traffic violation).

Although I am unaware of the specifics of Illinois law, I'm just short of dead certain that an Illinois resident with an IL drivers license operating a vehicle with Vermont plates registered in his name will fall afoul of this and result in badness.
Pretty sure Ohio is one of those states requiring resident's vehicles to be titled and plated in the state.

DCIV

There is a medium speed vehicle title here in TN, maybe look into that. Keep you off the highways but at least let you drive it all around town. Also you could look into historic vehicle, again no idea if you all have that, but I wouldn't stop. If you do have to, sell it to someone in another state cheap, let them title it, you pay for everything including insurance and then keep it. If you get pulled over, its a friends from another state and he is letting you drive it.

alphaseventwo

Man, I wish I would've made a copy of my Illinois on-road title that my M998 came with when I bought it- if nothing else just for curiosities sake to see how the previous owner had managed to get it listed 'on-road'. I know he was buying them at GP auctions, the guy had a few on hand. I was able to transfer title and get plates in my home state of Indiana no issues at all. Illinois blows; can't have fun, can't shoot stuff.

Last edited:

ExFlyBoy

Dad lives in cedar lake Indiana, transferring truck to him to register, then driving it back to Illinois..... who says I can’t drive pops truck every day......... only way around it right now. Changing of the guard in the high ups for SOS soon, IDOT buddy probably getting in as second in command.... maybe that will get the ball rolling for us!

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dad lives in cedar lake Indiana, transferring truck to him to register, then driving it back to Illinois..... who says I can’t drive pops truck every day......... only way around it right now. Changing of the guard in the high ups for SOS soon, IDOT buddy probably getting in as second in command.... maybe that will get the ball rolling for us!

I agree. And that doesn't put you on the wrong side of any laws.

Unfortunately, you're on the radar now and subject to being harrassed to the point you can't drive it anyway.

ryanruck

Did you ever check into registering it as a historic military vehicle as avlon01 mentioned on page 1?

Pretty sure Ohio is one of those states requiring resident's vehicles to be titled and plated in the state.
Here is the section of the ORC dealing with residency and registration.

The way I read it is that on becoming an Ohio residence you have 30 days to register an owned vehicle with Ohio. If you do not register the vehicle in state, you cannot operate it on an (old) out of state license beyond 30 days because you are also supposed to get an Ohio license within 30 days. If you are deemed legally an Ohio resident and you do operate an out of state registered vehicle with a non-Ohio license after 30 days, it is a minor misdemeanor. It says nothing about becoming an Ohio resident with an Ohio license, and operating a vehicle with valid out of state registration or being an existing/long time resident with an Ohio license operating a vehicle with valid out of state registration.

I spoke with my brother who is a deputy and he didn't see any reason someone couldn't have an out of state registered vehicle so long as the driver had a valid Ohio license and insurance. This is of course, my brother's interpretation of it, and another officer may feel differently and tell you to take it up in court under whatever they decide to write you up for.

Some anecdotal evidence, I knew a guy that lived and worked here in Ohio but kept his car registered in Tennessee. In the several years I knew him he never registered it in Ohio and was never ticketed for it.

I'd venture that so long as you keep the registration current and don't go driving around like an idiot, you're not going to create any problems for yourself. If an Ohio resident were to go the VT registration route, it might not be a bad idea to keep the section printed out with the registration just in case though.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
residency is used as a taxation tool. There are exceptions for military and college students typically.

Yes, A Vermont plate is a work around but with valid insurance not an issue to the owner. Registering to another person (dad) can bring up liabilities for him in case of a major accident. The owner of the vehicle is responsible for the coverage not typically the driver. Is he willing to foot the insurance coverage & exposure to liability?

Bottom line is the hmmwv like all of them sold by GP are held to be offroad with the signed release. The person or company that sold it to you had an obligation to inform you of the release and the EUC. The EUC does not go away by selling it.

We are all breaking the contract unless purchased with the GP "clean" title to some extent with these trucks if we are driving on anything that can be considered a road. Everything else is a shade of Black/white/Grey.

To each his own and their level of comfort.

ryanruck

Bottom line is the hmmwv like all of them sold by GP are held to be offroad with the signed release. The person or company that sold it to you had an obligation to inform you of the release and the EUC. The EUC does not go away by selling it.

We are all breaking the contract unless purchased with the GP "clean" title to some extent with these trucks if we are driving on anything that can be considered a road. Everything else is a shade of Black/white/Grey.

To each his own and their level of comfort.
Did you catch this? Apparently GP has clarified that the "contract"/Hold Harmless is what a lot of people, including myself, believed it to only actually be, a boilerplate CYA, and it's up to the state of registration to determine roadworthiness and the buyer to bring it into compliance.

The EUC doesn't have anything to do with legality of registration. It's ITAR related only.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you catch this? Apparently GP has clarified that the "contract"/Hold Harmless is what a lot of people, including myself, believed it to only actually be, a boilerplate CYA, and it's up to the state of registration to determine roadworthiness and the buyer to bring it into compliance.

The EUC doesn't have anything to do with legality of registration. It's ITAR related only.
Yes, I just referenced that also because if the seller did not disclose the offroad clause, I suspect he also neglected the EUC.

I agree the hold harmless is a CYA thing and up to the owner to determine what they are comfortable with in their specific situation.

State DMV bureaucrats have way too much time on their hand and like to meddle for the "Public Good".

ryanruck

Yes, I just referenced that also because if the seller did not disclose the offroad clause, I suspect he also neglected the EUC.

I agree the hold harmless is a CYA thing and up to the owner to determine what they are comfortable with in their specific situation.

State DMV bureaucrats have way too much time on their hand and like to meddle for the "Public Good".
You can say that again... :|

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The EUC does not go away by selling it.
Thanks for posting this Juan. A lot of people forget that little item, and I did too until the feds audited me and my EUCs.

This thread is turning into an example of why we don't allow insurance threads, too much shady information that may result in law enforcement action or exposure to massive liability.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dad lives in cedar lake Indiana, transferring truck to him to register, then driving it back to Illinois..... who says I can’t drive pops truck every day......... only way around it right now...
Be careful, make sure your completely legal and insured, not worth loosing everything your family has, or going to jail if something bad happens, as well as Dicking it up for everyone else...

Thanks for posting this Juan. A lot of people forget that little item, and I did too until the feds audited me and my EUCs.

This thread is turning into an example of why we don't allow insurance threads, too much shady information that may result in law enforcement action or exposure to massive liability.
Also the reason for no, how to title a HMMVW threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks