• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I'm a 5 tonner now :)

mikey

I should have listened to clinto and wreckerman when I came to SS inquiring about getting a deuce three years ago. I now have three deuces and M108 and a new to me M931A2.

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=7072603

I'll be spending my time, while awaiting my EUC, pouring through the TM's.

However, I've never driven a 939 or even seen the inside of one.

If there is anyone who won a lot at New Castle, or who lives close by, that could help me with the recovery, when that day comes, I'd appreciate it. I'm looking for some simple help like kicking the tires, checking the fluids, pre trip inspection and maybe some advice on driving it home.

Or if there is anyone in the NEPA area that has a 939 that I could meet up with before the recovery, that would be great too.

Thank you SS for all your valuable info, insight and experience and also for officially making me a hoarder.

Mikey

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
mikey your clock is ticking faster that you think, those don't need an EUC. I'd get some goggles and a snowmobilefrozen.jpg suit!

Last edited:

aheilmann68

Once you pay and it clears you are all set for pick up. I'm in nw morris county (butler, nj) if you are coming this route and can show

Scarecrow1

Congrats on one of the coolest toys on the planet. You'll be fine just take your time and try to stay out of rush hour traffic . These 5tons almost drive themselves . But , PLEASE in crease you distance between you and the cars in front of you . The air breaks are a different animal and even with ABS it takes getting used to. I would also take a couple of bottles of Diesel 911 to make sure it cleans out the moister in the fuel tank . Good luck and be sure to take plenty of pics .....

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Welcome to the 5 ton club.....I hope you have a strong back.

The transition to a 5 ton from a deuce is not too big of a learning curve. They are a little wider, taller and heavier but the visibility is better (IMHO) than in a deuce. Getting used to the air brakes takes some doing as they are tighter than deuce brakes. Just take it easy until you get used to stopping with them. Leave plenty of room between you and the vehicle ahead of you. Tractors are like hogs on ice on slick surfaces and if you slam on the brakes the back end will attempt to pass the front, ABS or no ABS. My advice is to have that one (if it is the one in the pic MWMULES posted) hauled home if you think the weather is going to be bad. If you are going to drive it on the PA Turnpike take some Prep H with you because it will ride like an oxcart and beat your teeth out.

mattyboy

Agree with wreckerman 100 percent . Also understand airbrake operating principle s. Mainly understand if you lose pressure stop ASAP or truck will stop without your permission .

mikey

Picked up a soft top from Kublo's and drove her home. Uncle Sam was generous enough to leave me TWO nearly FULL 100g tanks of diesel. I did bring diesel 911 and I had no issues at all on the way home. We did hit rush hour traffic in Philly and that was exciting. It also poured rain the entire trip (6 hours) home. It took a few miles to get used to the air brakes, but overall I am in love with this truck. It's like a Cadillac compared to a deuce with the power steering, ABS and CTIS (which as of right now works flawlessly). I don't know exactly how many miles are on this since the depot overhaul in August 2012, but I'm guessing barely any. There's not a scratch in the paint. the tires are new and the tanks were both almost full.

Best toy I've ever added to my collection!

IMG_2064.jpgIMG_2083.jpgIMG_2080.jpgIMG_2066.jpgIMG_2065.jpgIMG_2081.jpg

tobyS

Are you keeping it stock or expecting to modify it?

Question maverick...If your in Oklahoma, why would you bid on one in Delaware?