• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I'm out of gas

derby

RE: I

I thought those things were diesel ! :p If your out of gas that is really bad,if you are out of diesel that would not be so bad.

tsmall07

This is Tyler's girlfriend (I'm posting for him)... His truck's out of diesel and he's stuck on the side of the road in Salem, VA. He says he has more diesel in it but can't get it to start. Can someone who can help please call him at 540-580-0664. Thanks!

Blood_of_Tyrants

On SOME diesel engines, you must crack the fuel lines at the injector and crank the engine to get the air out of the lines. The easiest way its to crack all of them open at once and then crack the engine until no more bubbles come out. Tighten the fittings and then she should start right up. Others have a hand primer.

tsmall07

I just got home. I had to borrow a friend's van to get back for the night (the truck is about 40 minutes away from my house). If anyone else has any more info they'd like to share I'd appreciate it very much.

What I've tried so far:
Filled the filter with fuel and I was cranking it with the (thing that screws out on the top of the filter housing) out and was waiting for fuel to come out. None ever did. When I go back tomorrow I'm going to try to loosen an injector line and see if that helps. I'm thinking about replacing the mechanical pump just to see if that helps.

Thanks for the replies thus far!

mangus580

Tyler, do you have access to a portable air tank?

take compressed air, and a regulator. Unhook the rubber line on the top of the injection pump. crack the bleeder screw on the filter. apply about 3psi of air to the rubber hose. If your fuel lines are in good shape (no leaks) this should push the fuel up to the filter.

Another option.... inline electric fuel pump

It does sound like maybe your fuel pump is bad (you may have even not run out of fuel??)

How long did you crank it trying?

tsmall07

I was cranking on and off for the whole 2 hours I was with the truck. If the mechanical pump is strong enough to pull the fuel up with only air in the lines then that must be the problem. I couldn't even find the injector pump when I was looking for it. Where is it? Also, what is the order that the fuel flows between the filter, injector pump and the mechanical pump?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter

If it was running OK before, it is probably just air. Not familiar with that vehicle, but if that filter is mounted in an upright position, its often best to fill the filter manually FIRST, before you try starting it. Otherwise, you can crank all year, and it still won't start.

Lee in Alaska

tsmall07

It was running good previously. I parked it on an incline and it restarted briefly and then it shut down. Of course I say it was running good based on my 2 weeks of really driving the truck. It could have been running at a diminished rate the whole time and I'd have no idea.

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter

It is possible for the 6.2 injection pump to pull fuel all the way from the tank if there are not any air leaks - if you do have lift pump problems you may not have noticed the loss of performance until it ran out of fuel. Were you able to get any fuel out of the top air bleeder on the filter housing while cranking?

If you have the metal cartridge filter assembly it may not be possible to prefill the filter with fuel by taking it off but you could add a short piece of tubing or a small funnel and fill it with clean fuel through the air bleeder. Another idea that I have tried successfully - if you have an air supply and a regulator you can gently(maybe 5psi) pressurize the fuel tank through the filler by using a blow gun with a shop rag wrapped around it. A helper can pressurize the tank until fuel flows out the air bleeder and it may start.

Good luck - wish I could come help ya!

tsmall07

Re: RE: I

mangus580 said:
Oh, wait a minute here.....

Where is it stuck? Were you ever able to leave where you parked it on the incline??
Its at a bank parking lot. I rolled it down the hill so its sitting relatively flat now.

Were you able to get any fuel out of the top air bleeder on the filter housing while cranking?
No

I'm going to get a small funnel today and see if I can get fuel in there.

mangus580

Re: RE: I

tsmall07 said:
mangus580 said:
Oh, wait a minute here.....

Where is it stuck? Were you ever able to leave where you parked it on the incline??
Its at a bank parking lot. I rolled it down the hill so its sitting relatively flat now.
Can you describe what happened a little better? Were you driving down the road, and it started to quit? or were you parked at the bank (nose up hill) and it wouldnt start & stay running.

mangus580

RE: Re: RE: I

You have an air leak in your system. You will probably need to isolate that leak in order to get it up and going with the mechanical fuel pump again.

Something else you can do to help... is get a can of "Pure Silicone Spray". Using a helper, fog the air intake (air cleaner lid off) as the engine is being cranked over. Be sure to fog lightly, otherwise it will knock real hard ;-) This method is glow plug safe, and will actually run the engine, so it should pull much stronger on the fuel pump (assuming it still works)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks