• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Input requested

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have searched for quite some time but finally found a stewart warner coolant heater. The guy is asking $215 plus the ride. That seems kinda steep, but its the only one I have found in a couple of months searching. What do you guys think? Is it too much?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, not really, a little on the upper end perhaps, but they seem to be hard to find as stated. You will also need the fuel pump, control box and possible a separate circulation pump. Furthermore, the exhaust may be used for heating the oil pan (most important IMHO), so the exhaust pipe/oil pan shroud may become a part of the project too.

gimpyrobb

Thanks Bjorn, I have a plate that will work well for the oil pan heating. I have a control box that should work(it is not like the one you posted, but has same functions minus the indicator light) and fuel pump. Is there a specific coolant circulation pump that I need, or will just any pump do?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only picture I have seen is this one, from the 8x8 TM.

The indicator light serves an important function, it tells you that the heater is running and you should not shut down the power to it manually, it must be done by the automatic purge cycle and the light tells you when you can safely turn everything off.
If shut down during an emergency, some fuel may be left in the heater, which may give you an abnormal start next time it's turned on.

It also tells you when to flip the switch from "START" to "RUN" during the start operation.

I would look for the correct control box if it was up to me.

I have the personnel heater up and running, but can't help very much with the coolant/oil pan heater yet.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

It might be one of those, Tom. I asked him what all it had and he said the coolant pump was on it and it came with the fuel line and alot of fittings to hook it up. He did say that it didn't have a fuel pump, but I have some here anyway. Sounds like I found my Christmas (xmas) gift!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Tom.
The unit in the image I posted above is only rated 16,000 BTU for coolant output and is P/N 10914540 ( not a commercial P/N). It's for the LDS465-2 engine.

gimpyrobb

Tom, that is the unit I am getting. He said it does not have any installation instructions. Aside from power, hoses to the motor, and the controller box, is there anything more I need to know?

gimpyrobb

Ok, so my coolant heater showed up today. It looks like there is controls for two seperate fuel heaters in one box! It also Looks like it has some pretty specific wire conectors on it. Tom, haver you installed the one you have? Where did you get the conectors at, or did you just cut it off and use your own? No, I have not read the book yet. Just wanted to get some "real world" input on it. TIA.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice haul Gimpy! The controls are often shown together, one for the personnel and one for the coolant heater, guess the heaters are meant to be installed together.
The connectors are standard 5-pin ones for this system, let me know if you get stuck....

hot rod deuce

Hey, I have a few of these running alone on stands to heat our equipment in the winter. It is kind of a trick to get just one to run. Like you said the box is made for two heaters. I will go snap some pic's and let you know how I got my to run. I cant seem to remember the trick. I do remember both plugs being the same but they are color coded, I think

I have about 6 of these left but I would not sell them for 215 bucks. I would sell you a hunk of the nice stainless steel flex tube that goes on the exhaust reasonable if you want to ship it from minnesota

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
hot rod deuce said:
Hey, I have a few of these running alone on stands to heat our equipment in the winter. It is kind of a trick to get just one to run......
The one I have starts "by the book" every time, takes about 45 seconds in "START" before the light comes on and time to flip it to "RUN". It doesn't tolerate air in the fuel lines, though.

I'm very interested in one of those, if it has the coolant pump built in...

mangus580

cranetruck said:
hot rod deuce said:
Hey, I have a few of these running alone on stands to heat our equipment in the winter. It is kind of a trick to get just one to run......
The one I have starts "by the book" every time, takes about 45 seconds in "START" before the light comes on and time to flip it to "RUN". It doesn't tolerate air in the fuel lines, though.

I'm very interested in one of those, if it has the coolant pump built in...
Umm... My coolant heater doesnt have a start/run.... just a on/off

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
mangus580 said:
Umm... My coolant heater doesnt have a start/run.... just a on/off
This is what mine looks like, the switch on the left is the HI/LO.
It should be similar for the coolant heater.

My placement is different from what the TM shows (second image).

If it only has an ON/OFF switch, what do the instructions say?

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks