• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Input requested

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'll have to get a better pic of the combination controller tonight. Bjorn, the coolant heater part is just on/off. The cab heater part is just like your controls.

gimpyrobb

HRD, I am interested in some of the exhaust tubing and some pics of your setup would be wonderful. I have the CUCV arctic heater TM printing right now :)

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
gimpyrobb said:
I'll have to get a better pic of the combination controller tonight. Bjorn, the coolant heater part is just on/off. The cab heater part is just like your controls.
My TM shows both controls the same (same functions), so there must be a change...Mike, can you post the instructions, please....

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Gimpy

What vehicle are you putting the heater in? It looks brand new. I'm looking for the South Wind version of that (Model "939J24") for my M35A2. I would like to replace the one that is there. I haven't been able to work on it yet, because a couple of other projects are cluttering up the shop. The control box is missing on mine too. The controls that I am use to on other South Wind heaters that I have, have the light and a double throw switch. To start it, you hold the switch toggle to the "momentary" side, till the light comes on, (about like Bjorn says - 45 seconds or so), then you switch it to the "run" side.

The heater on the M35A2, doesn't use a circ pump, but relies on comvection, as did the coolant heater on my old M211's. There is apparently adequate differences in elevations in these applications, for the heater to function properly. When running, the heater creates a bubble of steam that rises in the coolant line, thus creating circulation on its own.

In the old days, I use to see these heaters around all the time, but things seem to have changed. Most of the existing heater is there on mine. Maybe I'll have to be content with re-doing it. I might have a single control box, or parts for one - I will look today.

I recently got this Deuce. It runs strong, everything works on it. But it needs paint, seat cushions, the coolant heater & TLC. Since it is so close to "stock", I'll keep it that way. But it needs something besides the manifold heater for starting. Its a very honest -20f out!

Lee in Alaska

mangus580

cranetruck said:
My TM shows both controls the same (same functions), so there must be a change...Mike, can you post the instructions, please....
Operating instructions are posted in my thread from about 2 years ago, when I started installing the kit.

The installation manual is in the TM Section...

gimpyrobb

Lee, I think I'm going to put it in my M109. When I get home I will post better pics of what I have. I think I will have the coolant heater(30kbtu) mounted in the Engine compartment and the 30kbtu air heater in the cab. I have had the cab heater for a while now, just didn't have the control box. I think I might try to find a 60kbtu heater for the box in back. If you can post pics of what you have I may be able to offer suggestions. When I decided to put the fuel fired heater in my truck, I did some looking around on the "net" and found ALOT of info. There is actually a guy near you who works on these units.

gimpyrobb

These, I don't know what they are for. I guess one might be for the fuel pump. I will need to find plugs for these too. They are in the harness between the controller end and the heater end. There is a relay in the harness too, incase anyone needed to know.

Attachments

hot rod deuce

and pic 3, the black plug is power in and ground. There are a couple single weather pac plugs, they are both for fuel pumps. Keep in mind this kit has provisions for a THIRD air heater in the box of the truck.

My kits came with a level sensor, its the blue thingy, they shut off if the truck(stand in this case) is up side down.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The color coded wires and the weatherpack connector indicate newer (not 1960-'70) manufacture.

For the MS connectors, get the numbers off the inserts, shouldn't be too much trouble finding mates. I may have an old weatherpack catalog, but they are probably on the internet anyhow....

I should have a mate for the connector outlined in the image below, I'll look for it and if you cant find one, let me know. I used to buy them from Del City Wire.

http://www.delcity.net/delcity/servlet/catalog?parentid=9108&page=1

Attachments

gimpyrobb

You are correct Bjorn, build date indicated as 85. The connector in your picture is a chevy plug that I recognise. Even if I can't find one, it should be easy enough to hook two wires to. The other ones, in the harness is what I'd really like to find. Thanks for everyone's input on this issue.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
gimpyrobb said:
.....The other ones, in the harness is what I'd really like to find...
Be more specific, please, I'm sure I can help you with the MS types.....

The connector, which plugs into the control box is MS3106A18-11S plus cable clamp.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks