• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installing bed on tractor

roalcoal

Thanks to wreckerman893 I was able to get a bed for my tractor and figured I would post some pics.of my project. I wanted a universal truck that has a multi purpose . The bed can be removed easily and the fithwheel reinstalled fairley quick.IMAG0413.jpgIMAG0415.jpgIMAG0417.jpgIMAG0418.jpgIMAG0419.jpgIMAG0421.jpgIMAG0422.jpgIMAG0423.jpg

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We installed a bed cut nearly exactly like that 2 years ago at the GA Rally. Cool Job!

roalcoal

rebelqwes87 I originally was going to use the deuce bed but i had a choice between the two , I liked the look of the 5 ton better so i went with that one. I plan on painting it this weekend so ill post more pics when i am done.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Concerned about clearance of the back wheels, but imagine the 5 ton bed has the same clearance as it did on the donor truck. (i.e., I edited and removed my concern.)

Last edited:

roalcoal

Mike929 I did a test fit, I used a 2x4 between the bed and the frame rails which gave me a little bit extra room, then i went and found a spot to articulate the suspension. The axle hits the bump stops before it touches the bed. Ill have to take some pics of that as well. Thanks for the heads up tho.

rebelqwes87

rebelqwes87 I originally was going to use the deuce bed but i had a choice between the two , I liked the look of the 5 ton better so i went with that one. I plan on painting it this weekend so ill post more pics when i am done.
I like the 5 ton beds except for the part that hangs down in the back that houses the tail lights. Don't get me wrong, not bashing as I said before yours looks great. What made me decide on the deuce bed from WM is that it comes with troop seats :mrgreen: I can't wait to see your finished product. I don't know what it is, but the tractor wheel base with a cargo bed is just the ideal set up to me.

roalcoal

rebelqwes87 Yes I also like the shorter wheelbase I thought about welding in some plate where the tail lights are in the bed but I am going to wait to see what it looks like after I am done painting, It may look ok with the lights there. Are you going to cut the deuce bed shorter or leave it as is.

rebelqwes87

I'm still undecided on that. If I cut it to leave space for the spare tire rack/toolbox as is then i loose bed space, but I like the way the spare is mounted. I had thought about removing the rack/toolbox, mounting the bed without cutting it, then mounting the spare tire rack back in the bed. Either way I will lose some bed space, but with the tire rack in the bed I would have a little more bed space. I'm just gonna have to get it home and weigh my options. What was your overall finished length on the bed?

Last edited:

roalcoal

10' end to end outside measurements , I havent measured it but i sure the inside measurement is dang close to 10'. I thought of puting tire rack in the bed but if i wanted to use it as a tractor i would have to take the tire rack out the bed and re mount it.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks to wreckerman893 I was able to get a bed for my tractor and figured I would post some pics.of my project. I wanted a universal truck that has a multi purpose . The bed can be removed easily and the fithwheel reinstalled fairley quick.View attachment 509365View attachment 509367View attachment 509368View attachment 509369View attachment 509370View attachment 509371View attachment 509372View attachment 509373
We need lots of pics and description of how you do the switch back and forth once everything is ready. Are you going for a "static" shift that only can be done home or some kind of trick to switch the bed and the fifth wheel as it were "in the field".

I am doing the same with a dump bed - fifth wheel shift, but haven't made a quick change set-up yet. Biggest problem is the hydraulic pump and reservoir sticking out below the subframe of the dump bed.

roalcoal

I will be doing the shift at home if tractor is needed. I have a A frame to lift the bed up and drive from underneath it or I can get two front end loader to lift it . I guess if I needed it in a pinch I could unbolt it tie the bed to a tree and drive off. Just joking

rebelqwes87

10' end to end outside measurements , I havent measured it but i sure the inside measurement is dang close to 10'. I thought of puting tire rack in the bed but if i wanted to use it as a tractor i would have to take the tire rack out the bed and re mount it.
I plan on using a 105 frame that I have and putting the 5th wheel on it for a dolly. I don't have a trailer yet but I plan on getting one and making it into a camper.

Csm Davis

That or just run without the spare. Most civilian tractors don't run spares.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks