• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installing reverse lights

cucvalbanese

Howdy Gents,

I am looking for information and guidance on installing lights on the rear of my M35A2.

The lights will mount behind the mudflaps on the rear cross member of the bed. Above the tail light and below the reflector as seen in the pictures. I will run the wiring next to the tail light electrical to the front of the truck.

Questions,
1) Have you seen this switch? Which number plugs are power going to lights and power coming in from truck?

2) Which power source/location would be best to run power from?

P.S. I spent an hour searching for something similar. Thank you in advance for your knowledge.

Attachments

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use a multi meter to determine the switch config/continuity. The switch you have is off a wrecker, it powers two rotating beacons. Real simple circuit. Power through the switch to one connector of the bulb, other connection at bulb go to ground. As for your intial power source, find a splice connector on the firewall or under the dash and plug to it. You may have to add 1 to 2 connector if not available already on the truck.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The armor headlight grounds through the stud. The 2 leads are for high beam and low beam. The switch has 2 leads of each. Just need to use a continuity tester to test across them to see which are paired together for switch operation. I've done them before but don't remember the corresponding numbers.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I mounted mine in the same place. If you off-road your truck at all, you will rip them off the truck real quick!

(I did anyway.)

cucvalbanese

@ Gimpyrobb, lol thank you for the advice. I do wheel it but not aggressively. I tow bar the cucv to my campsite so I can wheel that.

@ Scar 59. Good advice and thank you for knowing what the switch came from as I was puzzled as to why it said "WARNING" on it haha.
So I looked for available (empty) plugs under the dash and didn't find any that are not being used. I can turn a screw and tighten a bolt but im no electrician so I am a little lost. I will use a meter as you both have suggested to identify which lead is which. If I have to add a connector where would I run it from?

@ Recovry4x4, Thank you for the reply. Do fog lamps have high and low beams?

Im heading to the garage to test the lamps.... be back shortly

Last edited:

cucvalbanese

Ok so it appears that lead # 17 on the bulb is high beam and #18 is low.

The stud does act as ground and since I now know that the fog has highs and lows i can change the plug as needed.

cucvalbanese

Finally finished my simple task of installing rear lights on the back of the deuce. Started off with two 24V armor lights I purchased at the last tower park meet along with about 30 feet of wiring. First I reconditioned the old light housings and mounted them. Next I ran wiring through both frame rails to the fire wall, both sides came up separately and following the existing loom entered the fire wall just above the steering column and both met at the switch. From the switch I ran two separate wires with inline fuses straight to the front battery. At the battery I am getting 24.2V and at the lights I am getting 24.1V. At night I can see about 2-3 truck lenghts behind me just on the ground. I can't wait to test them in the woods when I go camping next. IMG_3703.jpgIMG_3704.jpgIMG_3705.jpgIMG_3706.jpgIMG_3707.jpgIMG_3708.jpgIMG_3709.jpg

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice job, glad it worked out as planned. The "warning" switches are pretty easy to wire up, just watch out when wiring a "Eject" switch up, and never install a "Destruct" switch.....
JC

steelandcanvas

Be attentive and make sure you don't leave them on while driving on the highway. I used mine to back out of the driveway and forgot to turn them off. I drove about 50 miles and discovered I had left them on once I got back home. After that goof up, I installed a red flashing indicator light that tells me when the back-up lights are on. I can provide you with instructions and a diagram for the indicator, should you make the same mistake I did.

I got some sweet leds off amazon and installed them in my hitch I made. They are well protected and since I'm a bobber I didn't have much choice where else to mount them. They are 12v or 24v and I wired them into my light at brain so they are on my controller and off a 20 amp fuse and relay even though they only draw like 2 amps

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Be attentive and make sure you don't leave them on while driving on the highway. I used mine to back out of the driveway and forgot to turn them off. I drove about 50 miles and discovered I had left them on once I got back home. After that goof up, I installed a red flashing indicator light that tells me when the back-up lights are on. I can provide you with instructions and a diagram for the indicator, should you make the same mistake I did.
This is why I added a warning light to my switch panel for all my accessory lights.

Attachments

rassd71

has anyone wired reverse lights to go on automatically when the truck is shifted into reverse? I'm curious because I'd like to register mine as an RV and this is a standard item on a safety inspection.

Thanks,
Robert aka rassd71

rustystud

has anyone wired reverse lights to go on automatically when the truck is shifted into reverse? I'm curious because I'd like to register mine as an RV and this is a standard item on a safety inspection.

Thanks,
Robert aka rassd71
Peashooter sells a kit that installs on the transmission. Buy it ! I did works great !!!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

eagle4g63

I have peashooters set up on my truck and have to say, ANYONE that has seen it loves it, I also love it......best back up light investment I have made on my truck.

Dhjmd

Anyone have a wiring diagram for the setup that automatically turns the reverse lights on when the tranny is shifted into reverse? I have the pressure switch mounted to the passenger side of the tranny and one light mounted at the rear. Is it as simple as putting switched power to one side of the pressure switch and then wire to light (which is grounded through the mounting stud)? When the switch detects pressure in Reverse, it opens letting power flow to the light?

peashooter

Anyone have a wiring diagram for the setup that automatically turns the reverse lights on when the tranny is shifted into reverse? I have the pressure switch mounted to the passenger side of the tranny and one light mounted at the rear. Is it as simple as putting switched power to one side of the pressure switch and then wire to light (which is grounded through the mounting stud)? When the switch detects pressure in Reverse, it opens letting power flow to the light?
so you have an M35A3 then right (with the automatic tranny)?

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally finished my simple task of installing rear lights on the back of the deuce. Started off with two 24V armor lights I purchased at the last tower park meet along with about 30 feet of wiring. First I reconditioned the old light housings and mounted them. Next I ran wiring through both frame rails to the fire wall, both sides came up separately and following the existing loom entered the fire wall just above the steering column and both met at the switch. From the switch I ran two separate wires with inline fuses straight to the front battery. At the battery I am getting 24.2V and at the lights I am getting 24.1V. At night I can see about 2-3 truck lenghts behind me just on the ground. I can't wait to test them in the woods when I go camping next. View attachment 512476View attachment 512477View attachment 512478View attachment 512479View attachment 512480View attachment 512481View attachment 512482
Just caught up with this post. Nice job. I like your shift boot. What did you use?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks