• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Insurance for deuce

Status
Not open for further replies.

tm america

i got mine insured through state farm as an antique it was like thirty bucks for six months plates were 26 bucks for the year its the cheapest thing i have to drive

crazyplowboy

Mine is insured as a historical vehicle through Hagarty. $202 per year and historical plates were $27 for 50 years. As a historical vehicle it can't be used for anything really other than driving. Hagarty also requires you to have it parked in a locked building when not in use. You are also not supposed to drive it more than 1000 miles a year, however they do not check milage :roll:

rat4spd

I just checked with State Farm. For un-restricted personal use is $159.00/6 Months.

Not bad really. I can do what I want except commercial of course.

gerrykan

My old State Farm agent(a great guy) recently retired and the new guy(a preppy idiot) informed me that State Farm did not insure 3 axle trucks.
State Farm now receives $0 from me.

SasquatchSanta

I fear there is a potential problem silently brewing concerning insurance.

There have been several threads on the insurance subject and there always seems to be some "what the insurance company doesn't know won't hurt them" winking and nodding going on.

When I purchased my bobbed deuce it was my original intention that it would be my only vehicle and therefore my daily driver. I found this to be prohibitive when I couldn't get "daily driver" insurance. I couldn't even get straight commerdcial insuirance which I estimate would cost around 2K per year. I should add that this wans't because of a bad driving record or bad credit rating.

My first insurance carrier was Continental Western. I left them because they were unclear about answering questions about using the vehicle for "non-club"events or hauling a couple pieces of plywood from the lumber yard of the trash to the transfer station. The daily driver option was definately out.

The company I have how has answered my questions to my satidfaction but the daily driver option is still definately out. I pay $486.00 a year for the bobbed deuce along with an 18 foot trailer and an M105 trailer. There is no commercial use allowed (which isn't important to my) and it can't be my sole vehicle. I'm required to have a daily driver on a seperate personal auto policy.

From what I'm hearing about some what members are paying for premiums it sounds like they are on limited use collector policies. Be careful with this guys. If you have an accident (run over someone) and your insurance carrier finds out the policy isn't as originally described or that you are using the vehicle as a daily driver etc they might refuse to pay.

Also, this is a public forum. I don't want to come off as the Insurance Nazi (I don't have a dog in this fight) but who's to say that an underwriter or other insurance company official isn't going to someday view a post where someone has made a wink and a nod about insurance and take a broad brush issue with it. I know we are among friends but this is the world wide web, not a back porch conversation.

If I were shopping for insurance I'd make sure the insurance company knew what they are insuring and I wouldn't be coy or cute in devulging information. The purpose of having insurance is so you are covered should you find yourself in an unfortunate situation where there is blood and glass on the highway.

I built the Power Wagon this past winter specifically so I would have a daily driver --- not a token daily driver --- a real one.

Respectfully submitted.

gonorth

Since you are going to bob yours this may not apply to you but my insurance company (Farmers) will not insure anything with more than two axles under an automobile policy. You would have to go into their commercial side of the business and then get into big $$$$'s. By the way bobing is not cheap.

Your thought of using this thing as a daily driver in the winter, think twice before you expect you will really do that. They take a long time to warm up and then you should also let them cool down. Fuel use, I got 8 mpg takeing mine home and that was 95% interstate highway. Your actual results will vary. Then there is the engine noise. You can't hear yourself think much less talk to someone in one of these. Sticker right on the dash says hearing protection required. But good thing you are doing some research before you jump.

I am not sure who I will insure my new purchase with but Taylor has a $50 per year minnimum in Minnestoa. That gets me $300K liability and $3000 comp for $51. But they limit use and require storage in a building.

IHASFIP

Well I live in Texas and I went today and got insurance. I gave them the VIN number and told them it was a 1970 Kaiser M35A2. He said ok and called me back. Said he need pics of the front, rear, inside and motor. I sent them to him. He called me back and told me it would be $1.79 a month for no restriction liabilty insurance. He then said for $3.67 I could have liabilty and personal injury protection (i.e. if I get hurt in it they will cover $50,000 worth of medical bills). I decided to take the more expensive plan. A whopping $22 every 6 months.:roll: That is outrageous. Haha. BTW, I am 22. And I don't have the greatest driving record. Good luck though.

D

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
No matter who you have, wether they took your VIN and said "OK", no matter if you are getting charged each month for insurance,

IT IS CRITICAL THAT YOU CONTACT YOU INSURANCE CARRIER CUSTOMER SERVICE AND SPECFICALLY ASK ABOUT VEHICLES OF YOUR GROSS VEHICULAR WEIGHT (GVW). YOU MAYBE SURPRISED AT THE ANSWER YOU GET FROM THEM AND REALIZE YOU DON'T HAVE VALID INSURANCE.

Understand there are exceptions such as the companies that routinely deal with historic vehicles such as JC Taylor, Haggerty, and such. Contact you insurance carrier directly via their website. Better you find out now and can take action than after you run over a van load of kids no matter who is at fault.

Take the advice or leave it.

IHASFIP

No matter who you have, wether they took your VIN and said "OK", no matter if you are getting charged each month for insurance,

IT IS CRITICAL THAT YOU CONTACT YOU INSURANCE CARRIER CUSTOMER SERVICE AND SPECFICALLY ASK ABOUT VEHICLES OF YOUR GROSS VEHICULAR WEIGHT (GVW). YOU MAYBE SURPRISED AT THE ANSWER YOU GET FROM THEM AND REALIZE YOU DON'T HAVE VALID INSURANCE.

Understand there are exceptions such as the companies that routinely deal with historic vehicles such as JC Taylor, Haggerty, and such. Contact you insurance carrier directly via their website. Better you find out now and can take action than after you run over a van load of kids no matter who is at fault.

Thats what I told my guy. I said look at this. Its big. And its heavy. I then showed him the registration and the GVW and he said that is fine. Its under the 26,001 so I was good. ?

D

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter

CARNAC is absolutely right. When you get the copy of the policy handbook read what the definition of "Your Insured Auto" is and then go to the "Exclusions" page and review it as well. A lot of guys say they have a Progressive Auto Policy but when I worked for Progressive the Auto Policy had a specific exclusion for vehicles over 10k GVW. Just because an agent says you're covered doesn't mean you are. They're salesmen and their main concern is the commission.

yeager1

My girlfriend works at a law firm dealing with auto liability cases, and on an almost weekly basis I see insurance companies leave the customer holding the bag after they "Disqualified' them after the fact (i.e. after the claim). They send you a full refund for you premium, and you then lose your house, car, and everything else, plus they typically get a wage garnishment that you will never get out of that often lasts for decades. If see honest people end up with millions in judgements against them, which means they can garnish your wifes check as well.

Take this for what it is, just my opinion, but I see horror stories daily!!!

MAKE YOUR CASE CLEAR TO THE INSURANCE COMPANY, AS TO WHAT YOU HAVE, SIZE, WIEGHT, AND ADD A PICTURE! DO IT CERTIFIED MAIL OR IN PERSON, AND KEEP ALL RECORDS!!! A JUDGE WILL NOT LET THEM (the carrier) OUT OF THEIR LIABILITY IF YOU HAD FULL DISCLOSURE!

IHASFIP

Btw they have 5 pictures on file of my truck. Front, Back, Interior, Side shot, Engine. I guess I will make a copy of my registration and take it to them and make them double check.

D

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks