• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Insurance problem!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruceB

We bought an Arizona-registered bobbed Deuce a short while back. The truck is still in Arizona, but I have the title andBill of Sale..

Today I went to my insurance company(Country Financial) here in Nevada to get coverage for this truck. They said they would not cover it "because it's been MODIFIED".

Now what? I have six other vehicles covered by this outfit, and I am quite prepared to tell them to take their policies and place them "out of the sunlight".

Suggestions would be much appreciated. Right now I am angry...VERY angry.

Last edited:

Flyingvan911

I know this will seem obvious but, start calling around. Some company will cover it. You should try searching on the sie. There are alot of insurance threads.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you ever ask your insurance company about coverage , before buying it?

Quite honestly, can you blame them for not wanting to insure a 40 year old truck that some unknown backyard mechanic probably modified(seriously). At least without an inspection and re title from your state DMV, why would they?

I bet you would have trouble insuring your car, if you added a second rear axle to it.

flyxpl

I was asked if my truck was modified by my insurance company, It was not modified though . I figured if it was they would tell me no insurance for you . If you find someone that will cover it you may want to move your other vehicles to them .

BruceB

Did you ever ask your insurance company about coverage , before buying it?"
"
Yes, I did ask the agent (in person).

I was told to just bring in the VIN and they would add it to my other coverage. NO mention was made of modifications etc.

Thanks for the replies. I have sent a PM to another Nevada-based SS member, and perhaps he can offer some insight. I'm going to the company that provides our house coverage now, to see what they say. I'll keep y'all posted.

B

sewerzuk

They said they would not cover it "because it's been MODIFIED".
I got the same story when I tried to insure mine through state farm, and again through California Casualty...
I currently have my M35A2 insured through Progressive, liability only, for $8/month (I also have my boat insured through them as well; couldn't insure IT through State Farm or CalCas either, because it was over 300 HP).
I've never had a claim through Progressive, so I can't comment on their claims service, but other customer service has been more than satisfactory.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
if it is modified, it is no longer a historic vehicle. sorry, but it just isn't, it now is a custom truck and you should get the appropriat insurance. if you don't and have a claim, don't expect them to stand behind it. many people are 'getting away with it', but sooner or later they will regret it in a big way.

tom

sewerzuk

if it is modified, it is no longer a historic vehicle. sorry, but it just isn't, it now is a custom truck and you should get the appropriat insurance. if you don't and have a claim, don't expect them to stand behind it. many people are 'getting away with it', but sooner or later they will regret it in a big way.

tom
Agreed; the "modified" issue was my problem with both SF and CalCas; I was upfront about my deuce when I tried to insure it...State Farm told me that they would cover it if it was unmodified, but they don't insure "modified" vehicles. I did ask her where the line was between modified and unmodified; because they certainly do insure passenger vehicles and light duty trucks that have been lowered/lifted/etc. She couldn't answer that question...truth is, my deuce is closer to stock than many of those vehicles. But, I didn't want to push the issue, when Progressive was willing to insure it as a modified vehicle.

plym49

Part of the problem is that there does not seem to be a written explanation of what 'modified' means. If you install an aftermarket oil filter or LED turn signal bulbs, it is 'modified', right? It is a judgement call, and unfortunately the insurance companies make the judgements.

ctmustang

My deuces and 1009's are insured with State Farm. Had to explain that they are retired gov vehicles so they can add the vin # to their system. They have never asked if the deuce has 2 axles or 3 axles. Sometimes you can share too much info. The deuces are on a commercial policy because of their weight but is cheap like motorhome coverage.
CT

My State Farm agent came out and took pictures of the deuce when he insured it. At the time it was stock and insured as a classic antique vehicle. I'm in the process of bobbing the truck, and it's still insured that way, but since it's not on the road, I'm keeping the insurance on it just to keep the plates valid. Once it's road-worthy, it will be getting proper "modified" insurance.

sewerzuk

. They have never asked if the deuce has 2 axles or 3 axles. Sometimes you can share too much info.
CT
Not trying to make any judgements here, but what happens if you get into an accident and your insurance refuses to pay out because you didn't disclose all of the information about your vehicle? Maybe your vehicles are mostly stock (I don't know), but it sounds like you are advocating withholding information from your insurance company.
That was my concern when I insured mine...and that's why I couldn't insure with State Farm.

I'm sure each company/state has their own rules, and you'll probably get a different answer from each agent you speak with even within the same company. But, I would recommend disclosing all of the details about your vehicles to your insurance company...

paulfarber

Change the vehicle to a 'replica' and insure it as an XM381 replica.

Lying to the insurance agency will most likely get any claim denied.

Using any of the 'historical' or 'antique' insurers will place sever limits on the use of the truck.

Pick what route you want to go.

jleasure

I deal with insurance claims from wrecks every day. With that in mind, my advice is to be 100% truthful in the application process to eliminate problems later. However, although I do not advocate this, if a deuce is bobbed after the policy is already in force, I seriously doubt whether most "run of the mill" insurance companies, plaintiff's attorneys, or your own defense attorney would ever catch it.

If a wreck is caused by you, and you are sued, the insurance company pays for the cost of your defense---they hire a defense lawyer for you. That attorney represents you, not the insurance company. He/she has no incentive to get your coverage cancelled and would probably be ethically prohibited from advising the insurance company of the issues relating to the bobbed status of the truck. The plaintiff's attorney has no incentive to make a fuss over it because that might eliminate insurance coverage. In almost all cases, the only way for a plaintiff and his/her attorney to get paid is through an insurance company. In the end, your own insurer, in an effort to deny coverage that you paid for, is the only party with any real reason to make a ruckus about the bobbed status of the truck. From experience, I doubt that 99% of the insurance adjusters and 99.99999999999% of the attorneys that I have dealt with would ever catch or even suspect that such modifications were done.

With all of that said, there is probably no reason to take the chance if you can help it.2cents

shannondeese

I have USAA and they came out and took pictures of my Deuce, understood it was modified and bobbed. Wrote my policy and now I pay 41 bucks every 6 months for my insurance.

ctmustang

Not trying to make any judgements here, but what happens if you get into an accident and your insurance refuses to pay out because you didn't disclose all of the information about your vehicle? Maybe your vehicles are mostly stock (I don't know), but it sounds like you are advocating withholding information from your insurance company.
That was my concern when I insured mine...and that's why I couldn't insure with State Farm.

I'm sure each company/state has their own rules, and you'll probably get a different answer from each agent you speak with even within the same company. But, I would recommend disclosing all of the details about your vehicles to your insurance company...

I never said lie or withhold. All I've been asked is the weight of the vehicles and they never asked to see them or take pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.