• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Insurance problem!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rustygears

I have USAA and they came out and took pictures of my Deuce, understood it was modified and bobbed. Wrote my policy and now I pay 41 bucks every 6 months for my insurance.
How can this be? USAA refused to insure my stock MV (after they quoted a policy) and when I threatened to sue, they then tried to broker me out to Progressive as a commercial vehicle for about $1000 a year for just PL/PD with excessive restrictions, like no travel more than 100 miles from home of record. I have Gulfway, full coverage, no use restrictions other than non-commercial for less than half the price and couldn't be happier.

I think the overall issue is not over modification per se, like lights, but more about structural modification. Just one consideration on an axle bob as an example of such a structural mod is that you've significantly changed the handling, roll stability on curves and reduced braking capacity by 33%. Since those changes were not tested by either the US DOT or a professional engineer certified to practice in the state the vehicle was located, any insurance company would be crazy to take on the liability exposure unless the policy was ridiculously priced to offset the risk. The stock mil vehicle design was at a minimum certified by a licensed PE and therefore it's characteristics known.

spicergear

Threatening to take business elsewhere *may* get you covered until something happens and they just sting with a claim denial then. Really...so it's only a 6 ton truck with bed, frame, axle, brake, and tire size modification? Sometimes the insurance companies aren't just being spiteful pricks. Then, for argument sake, they cover you as you hypothetically met some qualification that made them feel good and then an accident occurs which goes to litigation. Huh, oh you never got a reconstructed title for you modified frame? Bye-bye...

jleasure

I use usaa for all of my insurance. When I discussed a mv with them, they tried to pawn me off on their bs collector car, highly restricted, garage required "partner" company. I'm not sure how you pulled it off, but I would like a page from that playbook which got you through usaa's door. In the interim, Carol at gulfway has been a pleasure to deal with.

shannondeese

I didn't do anything special with USAA. I didn't even have them as insurance at the time. The lady I talked to asked what it was I wanted to insure. I explained the deuce as bobbed and she said she would have to come and look at it. No Prob there. I am in San Diego so she drove over, took pictures asked me what was the likley hood of damage to my truck in the event of an accident. I logged in to steel soldiers showed her pictures of guys trucks on here that were involved in collisions with other vehicles. She said she'd get back to me in a couple days. The next morning she called and gave me the speal that I needed to have the rest of my vehicles listed under USAA and then they'd cover the Deuce too. No Prob there. They matched the coverage I had with my previous insurance company for the same price. I paid the payment and printed my coverage cards and off I went.

BruceB

Many thanks for the thoughtful and helpful replies.

"Carol at Gulfway" is not much of a description. Carol WHO? Gulfway WHERE? Address? Telephone number? It does sound like a good possibility, I must say.

If my other insurer here (carries our homeowner policies) doesn't come through for us, I may have to look outside our small town.

Thanks again.

B

Rustygears

Many thanks for the thoughtful and helpful replies.

"Carol at Gulfway" is not much of a description. Carol WHO? Gulfway WHERE? Address? Telephone number? It does sound like a good possibility, I must say.

If my other insurer here (carries our homeowner policies) doesn't come through for us, I may have to look outside our small town.

Thanks again.

B
30 seconds on google solves that problem. I heard of Gulfway on this forum last December and did the 30 seconds of in depth research and had a policy 2 days later. Also, using the search on this forum will provide many, many links to Gulfway.

BruceB

Excellent, thanks.

I'm an ol' f--t who isn't all that comfortable with the Computer Age, although I HAVE searched successfully for a few topics here at SS. Seems to me that the biggest problem is choosing the actual wording for the search. Pick the wrong words, and we stand a great chance of missing-out on a lot of information.

Thanks for the further replies!

B

jleasure

Bruce,

Try this:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Carol Smith
Gulfway Insurers of Hudson Inc
12701 U S Hwy 19
Bayonet Point FL 34667
Phone (727)863-5451 or (800)940-5010
Fax (727)862-3003

http://www.racensur.com

Link to form to be submitted for a quote

Like everything else, some people love Gulfway and some hate it. I can personally attest to the great service provided by Carol (for what my opinion is worth). For me, she has gone above and beyond what I expected. The coverages quoted have been reasonable, although there are some restrictions that must be considered.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

[/FONT]

Last edited:

mtruitt1971

insurance companies are a SCAM they take your money and if you never need them they don't give it back.
lie to them they lie to you.
if you don't like to lie just answer their ?s with general answers
is the truck modified? - nope (did you modify it? you are not lying
is the truck stock? - is their car stock ? i bet there is something added to their car that the factory didn't add (rims, stereo, pin stripe, etc)

Welder Sam

Good info here. I use st farm for my auto policies and asked my agent abt covering the m35a2. He said they do dover them under a personal commercial policy that would cost me $160 for 6 mo. Guess i need to delve deeper into it by laying out my plans.

steelandcanvas

insurance companies are a SCAM they take your money and if you never need them they don't give it back.
is the truck stock? - is their car stock ? i bet there is something added to their car that the factory didn't add (rims, stereo, pin stripe, etc)
The problem with your way of thinking is when they catch you misrepresenting yourself on the application, their responsibility is null and void. Lawyers and insurance investigators aren't stupid, they are just looking for people that are not truthful. And since when is it acceptable to lie to anyone? You have a very bad attitude my friend.

mtruitt1971

You have a very bad attitude my friend.
personal attack or just early opinion?

but ask me if i care ............ uh ...............no, not really

i really wouldn't go as far ar to actually argue with one insurance company when there are several companies out there. i, in honesty, would just go somewhere else and drop all my business with who ever ot was, done it before, will do it again.

point is, never settle for an answer that one person gives you, get up go look and get more info.

Truckoholic

I went to State Farm (because I have my other vehicles insured with them) and was given a quote of something like $760 for 6 months on my M813 registered as a historic vehicle. Sounded pretty dang high to me! They've been working on it for about 3 weeks now and still have yet to let me know for sure what it would cost, and if they can insure me. I am really thinking I should go to one of these other mentioned companies. Because I am planning to put this truck in a parade in a few weeks, and time is running out to get this dang thing insured! Not too worried about the fact that I still have not recieved the SF97 for it. I can go get a round trip permit from DMV, but there is no temporary insurance for me to get.

paulfarber

You really have no idea how insurance works, do you? If insurance is a scam then you must be self insured and posted a bond with the state (which you won't get back either).

Insurance companies provide you with exactly what they will do for you. Its called a binder, or a contract. If its not in that contract they will not do it.... pretty simple to me.

Adding something to a car that has been designed to fit properly by the aftermarket manufacturer is not modifying it. Chopping off 3 ft of frame, and an axle then reworking the brakes and drive shaft is most definitely is.

I would hate to get behind you at the supermarket... you would probably argue that they should not count the weight of the stems in a bag of grapes. :razz:

Tlauden

I would hate to get behind you at the supermarket... you would probably argue that they should not count the weight of the stems in a bag of grapes. :razz:
Well now that you mentioned it.... LOL

State Farm has always been great to me, maybe it's just the people but I've NEVER had a problem that wasn't corrected as soon as it was spotted, when I insured the deuce I sat in there office probably close to an hour as we decided how it needed to be insured.... When I recently bought a new truck, my insurance was switched over to it in 1 five minute call. They gave me a $15 dollar discount if I opened a new $8 life insurance policy, saving me $7 (not much but hey). Right now they working with me to figure out if they can insure a M108 I'm looking at, they said they most likely can but need to find out for sure. Like the commercials always say, like a good neighbor. And they are. Personally I know with state farm they see me as more than "just a customer" they treat ya like a real person!!!

I wouldn't trust all these places that give you the state minimum. They are the ones that seem like a scam.

Status
Not open for further replies.