• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Insurance Tip

Status
Not open for further replies.

PorscheTech911

Listen I'm just telling you what the lady said. I know $50 sounds a little fishy, but your welcome to call and ask them more questions. Doghead- yes I'm working on buying Fuzzy's extra truck so I'm making sure I got all the ducks in a row before I go all the way to Texas to get it.

I called Progressive and the Commercial agent said they won't do it. State Farm said yes, but you MUST have at least a Class C license for one year. Geico said they won't do it and so did Shelter Insurance. I'm not sure how you all did it, but being straight forward with the agents and explaining exactly what it was, they said no.

lavarok

I'd make sure you clean the truck spotless if you return back on-road after playing off-road. And make sure to not have anything in the bed. I asked gulfway when I was shopping a while back about "can I drive it to work once in a while". The answer was a firm NO. No commuting allowed.
Gulfway will issue a commercial policy via Travelers if you live in FL. Not sure what you get when you live in other states. I have read my policy a few times to be sure and I have not found a single driving restriction.

As far as garaged vs non garaged, I'd think this pertains more to comprehensive coverage not liability. So unless you plan on filing a claim for damage done to the vehicle while its being stored, the issue should never come up.

998Junkie

State Farm said yes, but you MUST have at least a Class C license for one year.
You're 21 and have had your license for less than a year, were there any other issues not mentioned?

I have progressive commercial for my M818...wasn't cheap but it meets CA requirements for a tractor.

I'm happy you were able to get insurance though. [thumbzup]

paulfarber

I think you are in for a HUGE disappointment on this.. it says on their home page:

COLLECTIBLE VEHICLE INSURANCE

on another page:

• Antique & Classic Vehicles including Trucks and Motorcycles

• Collectible Special Interest and Modern Classics

• Street Rods, Customs and Modifieds

• Kit Cars (Including Cobras) & Replicas

• Vintage Fire Trucks, Farm Tractors, and Military Vehicles

• Vehicles under active restoration also may qualify for coverage

What We Don't Insure
  • Daily Use Vehicles – used for daily transportation or as a backup or substitute vehicle

• Hauling & Off-Road Vehicles – used for hauling, off-road or utility type driving

• Business Use Vehicles – used for commercial, business or transportation-for-hire purposes

• Racing Vehicles – used primarily for racing or collectible vehicles that are raced

Let me repeat that last one:

What We Don't Insure
  • Daily Use Vehicles – used for daily transportation or as a backup or substitute vehicle
Its standard collectible insurance. I'm gonna take an VERY, VERY, VERY educated guess and say that if you have regular tags (not antique or collectable) or are using the truck as described in the 'WHAT WE DON'T INSURE' catagory they you are gonna get a huge suprise when you file a claim.

OP says he's 21... no disrespect but you are showing your age. Nothing is free, and insurance is at the top of the 'DEFINITELY NOT FREE' catagory.

91W350

I have been checking around and it looks like a 100 bucks a month for liability and million dollar limits here in Kansas. I have been being honest with the companies and telling them I plan to take pleasure cruises, if my brother is moving or I need some gravel for the driveway.... I doubt I will ever run it over 3600 miles a year, but I would hate for that old Buick to find my truck at 3603 miles that year.

I will check with the General....

Josh

I got lucky, I pay like 49 bucks a month to state farm for a comerical policy that covers me for 1,000,000/3,000,000/1,000,000. No rescrictiongs nothing.

Im 22 with an at fault wreck, no tickets.

I did have to insure my other truck with statefarm to get them to cover the deuce, which costs me aprox 100 bucks for 100k/300k/100k.

PorscheTech911

Well someone else beat me to the truck. I wanted to say the a CLASS C License is NOT a regular Drivers License here in MO. In Missouri the STANDARD Drivers License is a Class F. I have had my standard drivers license since I was 16.

I also did read all of their requirements and everything I plan to do is ok with their rules. It may not fit everyone, but it worked for me. Like I said, call them and ask them yourself. I was VERY clear with my intentions with the truck and the lady said I was definitely insurable.

This was meant to be a tip, not for anyone to insult me. I have a clean driving record, and know things are not free. That doesn't mean I should pay 1000 dollars for insurance, just cause someone will happily charge me that much. I never stated the insurance was free.

powerhouseduece

This was meant to be a tip, not for anyone to insult me. I have a clean driving record, and know things are not free. That doesn't mean I should pay 1000 dollars for insurance, just cause someone will happily charge me that much. I never stated the insurance was free.

I understand what your saying and agree, but your age is going to keep the price up. I just had to switch because I bought a new car, and being 23 years old, Geico was getting ready to collect big time.

For Correct coverage, expect to pay a lot, thats just the way life goes. I have my pick up, (96 2wd), brand new 2010 camaro, and my 818 is on there commerical policy and I pay $350 a month for them all. You have to pay to play!

Sirblissfull

In New Mexico for my M820A2 I am paying around 1500 a year Progressive commercial. Since the weight is nearly 32k with the super singles and lift gate. That is at 35 married zero accidents or tickets.

In addition the fact I am going to be hauling people off road and doing ALOT of driving the next couple of years adds up. I tried Allstate, USAA, Hagerty, Condon and Skelly, Progressive non commercial and State Farm. Even tried a couple of insurance brokers to get exactly the coverages I need to make sure everyone in and around my vehicle will be covered to the maximum I could afford. Once I get the RV conversions done it should be cheaper.

Varyag

I insured mine as a farm vehicle through progressive. I can haul anything I want in it can drive it every day if I want. The only restriction is to mostly use it within 50 mile radius. I can take it further then that but just not all the time.

When I asked specifically about this restriction they said I can haul anywhere. They just don't want me going across the state every day.

320 a year for 300k.

This way I get to use it however and don't have to worry about it getting slapped if I crush a house. I have mine plated commercial as well.

It isn't the cheapest but I drive the heck out of mine so I didn't want my life messed up if I got into a fender bender/mauler.

Last edited:

wbdodgeiv

I have a commercial policy with Gulfway, I think Travelers actually insures it. It is around $600/yr. I told them I wanted to haul things and drive it as much as I want. The only thing they said I couldn't do was carry people in the back.

jonsm114

Thanks for the tip on Cordon Skelly....I got a great quote from them for both my duces and a MB Jeep and 77 Vette...bundled it all up. Saved a bundle over what I had.

All carry MO Vintage tags, pleasure use only.

Thanks!

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks