• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Insurance??

Status
Not open for further replies.

missleman

i got mine thru grundy. they do special interest stuff. they wanted pics. & a value i wanted to insure for. VERY resonable. i've got some cars with them too.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use Gulfway(Travelers). Once I got it thru their thick heads what I wanted. :mrgreen:

Josh

Try calling John Lokting, 503-252-5581. He works at state farm, insures my deuce for aboutr 40ish a month. The only thing is I had to have a civy rig insured also, as they wont do a commercal only policy by itself for anyone under 30.

rolling18

Try calling John Lokting, 503-252-5581. He works at state farm, insures my deuce for aboutr 40ish a month. The only thing is I had to have a civy rig insured also, as they wont do a commercal only policy by itself for anyone under 30.
yes that is what I have found also, not to mention that is very expensive relative to what others are paying . and I can't switch on my insurance around for 1 vehicle . my search continues

paulfarber

My 6 month renewal:

$109 for $100/300/5,000 (the last one is the big money saver... I have insurance via my work, no need to duplicate it via auto ins).

Attachments

plym49

So, based on how many of you are happy with State Farm, today I called my local SF agent. He would not even say hello to me unless I gave him my driver's license number, DOB and SSN. Needless to say I will not go any further with State Farm since there was no need for this information to be disclosed at this level of the conversation.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, based on how many of you are happy with State Farm, today I called my local SF agent. He would not even say hello to me unless I gave him my driver's license number, DOB and SSN. Needless to say I will not go any further with State Farm since there was no need for this information to be disclosed at this level of the conversation.
To get an accurate quote, you will need to provide this info. It is also their way to see if you are serious.

All of the insurance companies will quote you a general figure and if you read the find print, it in fact states that you prices may go up or down depending on the initial info you submit.

Tlauden

Ok, guys. Like i said before i'm insured through state farm, and its a 1969.

GO INTO THE OFFICE, forget the phone.

Take pictures with you, tell them you want it insured as a commercial vehicle for private use.

If you would like, ill give you my policy #, they should be able to look it up and see how its done. they really are a great company, and my agents are AWESOME, and they LOVE when i bring the deuce in for them to see:cookoo::cookoo::cookoo:

steelandcanvas

That would have been the end of the call for me also. Especially no need for them to have my SSN.

plym49

To get an accurate quote, you will need to provide this info. It is also their way to see if you are serious.

All of the insurance companies will quote you a general figure and if you read the find print, it in fact states that you prices may go up or down depending on the initial info you submit.
Yes, and there is a big difference between having a general introductory conversation before you get into the gory details.

It's how business is done, it's how relationships are done, it's how the world works.

Any business whose first questions are those is either ignorant or arrogant. I cotton neither.

paulfarber

So you are *really* going to stand behind the conversation went as follows:

Agent picks up phone
Agent simply says "name, dob, SSN, license number"
You ask a question
Agent hangs up.

I doubt that..

Hmmm... every WEB SITE I go to for a quote wants much more detailed information.

I really hate local agents. I want to give my money to X and get policy Y... and I posted my policy terms and cost in the previous page. I don't want a relationship with an insurance company. I don't care to know their name, or bother me with their sales blather about 'interesting new instruments'. If you need friends visit steelsoldiers.com. If you need low cost (note I did not say cheap) insurance for an M35a2 call State Farm.

Pay more for insurance elsewhere... that will show THEM. :?

Last edited:

RealCavDog

My initial call to State Farm went well, commercial for private use only, due to the tandem axles, considered a bobbed deuce to ease the issue, but shelved that idea for now, looking at a nice A3, and the newer year seemed to help out also ! Have the same problem with no inside storage.

Will be following up on it as time grows closer to ownership !

Progressive stated that they will not be writing any new policies on military vehicles, but will be honoring existing policies on a case by case basis.

Really close to pulling the trigger on this, so very interested in all the new input on this subject !

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking, "I haven't seen a thread on insurance in about 15 minutes. I wonder why?", then bingo! We have a new thread that has been covered by so many other threads I'd be surprised if m16's post covered half of them............

missleman

hey, give grundy a try. 800-338-4005 they'll pics.& will ask how much you want it valued at. i got 6000.oo & it's 87.00 a YEAR. yes a year. it can't hurt to try. i had other cars with them, but i don't know if it made a difference.

Dave08

I have read a lot of threads on the Insurance game....and that is just what it is: a game. Having just went through the entire fiasco on my two M109A3's for insurance as the State of Florida requires insurance in order to get a tag and we also have what is called PIP (Personal Injury Protection(?)) mandatory by the state. I checked with just about all the insurance companies that everyone on this thread has talked about and have come to the following conclusion: Insurance is State Dependent. Meaning that in some states All State Insurance will cover an MV as a private and/or commercial vehicle but will not cover it at all in other states. Some companies have a GVWR limit, others will only write commercial policies. The bottom line is State Dependent and more importantly is how knowledgeable and energetic the Insurance Agent is that is representing the company. Most Insurance Agents are independents and have their own offices. The classic/antique/classic car insurance companies such as Grundy Worldwide, Hagerty, and others all turned me down and/or had a garage requirement. I could have lied about the garage requirement and stated that I had a garage to keep it in which I suspect a lot of our MV owners have done....I am not judging anyone as that choice is clearly theirs. The problem with stretching the truth; ie the garage lie, is not when you get the insurance but when you may have to make a claim and the agent comes out to inspect the various damage and finds out that you are in violation of your policy requirements. When that happens you have an argument and your policy is null and void and you are up the creek. I have USAA Insurance for my personal everyday vehicles and tried to get them to insure my MVs, they sent me to Progressive, which by the way they own. I told Progressive the truth of what I was going to use the vehicles for and as soon as I mentioned off road trails the deal was off. I ultimately went with Gulfway Insurers which they are the underwriters for Travelers Insurance. They are based out of Florida and I was told about them from a fellow SS Member. Great people and easy to work with. I insured both my vehicles for a declared value of $5k each for a regular use policy with no garage requirements. I paid $235 per year for each vehicle for a total of $470 and I have regular use insurance with $300K liability etc...etc...

Bottom line is that Gulfway insures in just about every state; they are experienced with MVs and they write regular use policies for declared value amounts. It all comes down to the actual State in which you reside and the determination of both the intended policy holder and the Insurance Agent. I would highly recommend that you are completely honest with the insurance company when applying as it will bite you in the ARSS should something happen down the road and it is not worth the gamble to lose everything you own in a law suite. Just my two cents worth and again I do not judge anyone as we must all do what we have to....What Risk are you willing to take? Has anyone joined any organizations that could institute an effort to have a company offer Insurance to its members for MVs? This would solve a lot of problems. Maybe it is something that we should all look at and talk with our Insurance Agents about and then we could have the problem resolved and the Insurance Company could even advertise on SS and SS would benefit as well as all the SS members; sort of like a CoOp program. Just a thought. My mind wondered there for awhile...back to the issue at hand; I would try Gulfway Insurers at Gulfway Insurers - A Leader in the Specialty Insurance Industry or give them a call at 1-800-940-5010 or email them at gulfwayinsurers@aol.com or staff@racensure.com.
Dave08

steelandcanvas

This would solve a lot of problems. Maybe it is something that we should all look at and talk with our Insurance Agents about and then we could have the problem resolved and the Insurance Company could even advertise on SS and SS would benefit as well as all the SS members; sort of like a CoOp program. Just a thought. My mind wondered there for awhile...back to the issue at hand; I would try Gulfway Insurers at Gulfway Insurers - A Leader in the Specialty Insurance Industry or give them a call at 1-800-940-5010 or email them at gulfwayinsurers@aol.com or staff@racensure.com.
Dave08
I have spoken to the folks Gulfway and suggested they look into advertising on S/S.

plym49

So you are *really* going to stand behind the conversation went as follows:

Agent picks up phone
Agent simply says "name, dob, SSN, license number"
You ask a question
Agent hangs up.

I doubt that..

Hmmm... every WEB SITE I go to for a quote wants much more detailed information.

I really hate local agents. I want to give my money to X and get policy Y... and I posted my policy terms and cost in the previous page. I don't want a relationship with an insurance company. I don't care to know their name, or bother me with their sales blather about 'interesting new instruments'. If you need friends visit steelsoldiers.com. If you need low cost (note I did not say cheap) insurance for an M35a2 call State Farm.

Pay more for insurance elsewhere... that will show THEM. :?
The conversation went like this:

Hello, state farm

hi, this is john doe, and I would like to speak to james doe (the agent)

what about?

the possibility of insuring a vehicle with state farm

ok, first you must give me your drivers license number, dob and ssn

even to ask him some general questions?

yes

ok, well i am not comfortable with that, thanks anyway

goodbye

Last edited:

plym49

While all of this has been going on I have been working with my regular insurer and to their credit they are attempting to help.

They just called me with a question that knocked me for a loop. It has not been covered in any of the zillions of forum threads on insurance. I even googled it and came up dry.

Their underwriter would like to know:

<drum roll>

How much did the M35A2 cost the government when new?

I kid you not.

Does anyone know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks