• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

insurence!! ahhh

Gunner0311

Commercial Vehicle?

I had ALLSTATE for years. They insured my M207 and the M109A3 with no problem
at all.

Then I bought my 5-Ton(M52A2) and they said NO WAY! "You cannot use a commercial vehicle for private use!" I told them the definition of a "commwecial
vehicle" is a vehicle you use for commercial purposes. It has nothing to do with
the configuration of the vehicle?? They repeated their rant at nauseum.aua

The "TRACTOR" designation on the title is what gave them fits. It had to show
them photos before they understood I was not trying to drive some sort of farm
tractor on the road.

Long story-short, I switched to STATE FARM, as they needed photos for their
file and there was no problem at all....:beer:

powersmoke18

well i'm making a fancy picture show for the state farm agent down the road!! maybe he will like it?? i'm also going to call an independant truck insurer monday who saw my other truck at a show and said it was cool i think i found her website......?? and then i went into direct auto today and told them what it was and that i needed a 30 day policy to drive it home. and of course it didnt show up in her computer so shes gonna have an underwriter call me on monday!! 3 more attemps to get shot down! maybe ill fuel it up and drive it to mexico and sell it for 20gs!!!

grunex125

well i'm making a fancy picture show for the state farm agent down the road!! maybe he will like it?? i'm also going to call an independant truck insurer monday who saw my other truck at a show and said it was cool i think i found her website......?? and then i went into direct auto today and told them what it was and that i needed a 30 day policy to drive it home. and of course it didnt show up in her computer so shes gonna have an underwriter call me on monday!! 3 more attemps to get shot down! maybe ill fuel it up and drive it to mexico and sell it for 20gs!!!

I wouldn't try to sell the truck to Mexico, (I'm assuming you are joking anyway) because your EUC states it will not be sold to foreign countries and the such. I think the feds would not look too kindly on this idea. What gets me is that the Gov. wants to sell the trucks, you would think that they would make sure that there is some sort of provision for insurance to allow for them to be on the road.
I guess what I am getting at is that they know full well that their "old junk" is going to end up on the the highways in a lot of cases.......why in the heck wouldn't they offer some leeway to those of us who are buying the vehicles.

I hear ya in your frustrations.......I guess I'm luckier than some in that I've got a way to have legitimate use for one and that I can insure it for legitimate purposes other than classic vehicle or something of that nature.

I'm a relative newcomer to the ownership ranks of the trucks here, but I do have to say that since buying my first truck, I've come across many military trucks on the roads without insurance......... My thoughts is that what if someone gets hurt, and the insurance co's wouldn't allow the trucks to be insured, and the medical bills rack up to some family that was involved?......... this don't make sense to me.
If the trucks are inspected and subject to the same laws as the civilian counterparts and the driver of that vehicle meets the requirements to drive a civilian truck why the heck can he/she not have insurance just because it has military designation.........
We should not have to prove that we need the truck for commerce just to insure it. If we are willing to pay the price for commercial insurance then that should be all that matters. (provided that we meet the requirements for safe driving of course.)

powersmoke18

my truck didnt require an euc so i guess for all the gov cares i can sell it anyone right?? i'm going to try doing it thru a commercial policy again i guess!! then i can use it to haul my dozers and backhoes around and play with it!!! i hope this commercial company can help me out all the rest gave up!!!!

grunex125

I came up with two options, one was an AG commercial policy and the other was a regular commercial policy. Both cases required that I state the intended use. I'm intending to haul heavy equipment as well, so if they give you a hard time on this point I would ask them what their major malfunction is...... State farm was willing to cover me on both types of policies.

powersmoke18

my intent was never to use it to haul but... if i end up paying as much as i do for my autocar tractor and mack then i might aswell use it for backup!! prolly just a broken toy retreiver but never know!!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
if i end up paying as much as i do for my autocar tractor and mack
So, do you already have commercial insurance on those trucks? Do you own a business? It seems like there would be no issue simply adding the truck to an existing business policy.

Last edited:

powersmoke18

yes i have commercial insurence thru proggresive. but i treid to put this truck on the policy and they said no. we have a few companys, horse farm, printing, and distribution. i really dont know why they caint do it, i want to switch companies now that proggresive decided to be jerks. makes me wonder if they want to make money!!!!

powersmoke18

they did say if it was another mack or even a peterbilt it would be fine. but not an A.M. general. and thats when i started telling them that a military tractor iss the same as a mack tractor and they said i didnt know what i was talking about. so i hung up. good thing i dont have their home addresses i would drive it thru their house and ask em what they thought!! hahaha

Jersey4x4

yes i have commercial insurence thru proggresive. but i treid to put this truck on the policy and they said no. we have a few companys, horse farm, printing, and distribution. i really dont know why they caint do it, i want to switch companies now that proggresive decided to be jerks. makes me wonder if they want to make money!!!!
Progressive is anti military, or that is what the rep told me when I called them about my M816 so they would not touch it. State farm said it was too heavy, 10,000 was there weight limit. Esurance said nothing over a 3.4 ton pickup truck. So travelers was the best option for commercial, classic insurance for the truck. I think it is 223.00 for the year with replacement value if totaled. I used the NSN from Gov deals to show the value when it was invoiced to the gov for proof of value otherwise i would have to get it surveyed.

Jersey4x4

The real weird thing was the MVC had the model in there system, so someone had to have an M816 registered in NJ before. I was not crazy about the $600.00 bill for the reg. but I wanted it to be legal.

Jersey4x4

I dont think I had an agent? There was a lady that helped out and I think her name is Gloria? not 100% on that. I used the gulfway web site and filed out all the information using the military designations and had to jump some hoops faxing info back and forth but after about a week it was insured and registered. Maybe try them again but dont tell them it is a tractor, just give them the M number for a model, that is what I did after a recommendation for a SS member.

grunex125

Powersmoke:

I just got off the phone with my agent in Lakeville MN today and he said that Indiana Insurance Co. has provisions for this sort of policy. and that they write a lot of policies like this. Anyone in Wisc. and MN can contact me and I will be glad to put you through to my Agent. Rick Is a darn good guy, he works hard for his customers and I truly believe that he is sincere in what he has to tell us.

powersmoke18

wish i lived there!! i found a company!!! its gonna cost a bit more than i want and apparently i have to register it commercial?? awesome!!! her comes a 5 thousand dollar bill!! haha i'm going to the dmv after i get my title and we will see how it goes!! i want to register it as a non commercial 20,000gvw truck. but idk if its gonna fly. good thing trailers are cheap to register!!!

DeucesWild11

Got a garage that you can claim that it lives in.. Then try Hagerty, I got mine insured for $89 a year vs. regular non historical for $350. Perhaps you have a buddy that has a garage?? You can do the whole quote on line without talking to anyone.. Sometimes talking gets in the way of getting things done!All depends on what you plan on using her for as well..

rrrr

I tried to go with Collectors since I have my Deuce with them. Since my 932 is a tractor and I was thinking about doing some towing with it, Collectors said no towing. You also need to keep'em inside. Not enough room for my Deuce and tractor in the shop. I went with USAA and they have an agreement with Progressive, 1 year, commercial insurance $520. If I tow a trailer I need to add that to the coverage for another $100/year. Not excited about the cost but no limitations with regards to storage, mileage, or off road use !

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks