• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IP Rebuild

hdexpert

Yes

when you put the fuel control shaft in, it does have the little tab in the end of it, right? without that tab, it will be in min fuel position. (off, no fuel to injectors)

tom
Yes, the tab has been in place during all HH swaps. Gimp and I installed another IP today and the truck fired up with a whiff of ether. Doesn't want to idle and there is air in the return line. We'll be working on it tomorrow.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm still questioning if you have good fuel.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might consider just trying some fresh new diesel and see if that solves the issues. Would only take a little time and effort.

I'm not worried about water as much as "weak" old fuel. Your current condition just sounds like very bad fuel.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I've got a friend that is supposed to get me the documentation on the injection pump rebuild. I'll keep everyone posted.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
at least it is running. now is a good time to check the pressure at the filters. 20 - 70 psi depending on rpm. air in the injector return lines may be normal, just depends on how good the injectors are.

tom

hdexpert

The deuce started today with a little ether, warmed up nicely and then idled ok. Quite a bit of smoke from the exhaust with an odd exhaust note. It seems to run rough and smoke a lot every other engine revolution. Gimp and I will be checking the IP timing tomorrow.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
hd, sounds like you now have it 180 degree out of timing. pull the front valve cover, rotate so #1 valves are at overlap and if the red tooth is showing it is 180 out.

tom

derby

Check the check valve on the return side of the head. I found one that had what looked like weed stalks in it and held it open. After you shut it off all the fuel siphoned back to the tank and was a son of a gun to re-start.

hdexpert

So Gimp and I swapped in another IP. Got everything timed correctly and found the truck would only start with a shot of ether. After it starts it runs fine, has good power but the rpm's at idle fluctuate between 500-1000. I'm going to drain my fuel tank, add straight diesel with some seafoam and see if that cleans up the internals of the IP. I'll post the results when I'm done!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks