• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ir armored lights

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Yup, that switch is SWEET!

For the guys that hooked into the headlights, did you use any type of relay to protect your 3 lever switch? I though about wiring mine up with a Y connector but them remembered all that juice might ruin the CB in the headlight switch.​

Now you got me thinking Gimp, I have not done very much if any high beam driving since I wired them up like that and electrical is not high in my skill set. I think when it warms up I will go back and put them on their own circuit and switches to make sure that doesn't cause a fail of the 3 lever..

I checked the bulbs in the 2 that came on my bike and the clear is 12v incandescent Hi/low and IR is a Led 12v spot. The clear is wired into the normal headlight wiring, having high and low, bike lights.jpg the IR is wired straight from a hot + wire through a toggle switch to the high post on the back of the light. bike IR switch.jpg
m1030b1.jpg

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Just know that if the circuit breaker goes bad, there is the potential for your lights to go out.

I've been in a truck with no lights at night. I'd be very nervous that a semi couldn't see me.

AZK9

... I've been in a truck with no lights at night. I'd be very nervous that a semi couldn't see me.
That happened to me during a drive :roll:, heading back to the 'Deuce-Base', on... Thanksgiving Night!

ALL... of the lights went out (dash inside the cab and headlights and tail lights too) while on a 3 lane
stretch of divided road on the Garden State Parkway in South Jersey. :shock:

I was already nervous, driving at 55 MPH in the slow lane, with moderate traffic passing me doing
65-75 MPH. With all the light around me from the combined headlights, of other vehicles, I was
able to cautiously guide the deuce off to the right onto firm, flat ground, but... sheeeeeesh... :shrugs:.

I even managed... somehow... to avoid hitting a reflective, 1/10 mile marker post by just a few feet!

At first, I did not have a clue what the cause was. I just knew I was without headlights and far from
where I needed to be. My switches were all on and I could not find anything obvious under the dash.
Later on, after I moved the battery wires around in the battery box... everything came back on. Once
I realized the general area of my problem, I managed to wedge a block of 4X4 to stabilize the cables
such that the lights seemed like they would stay on.

Traffic had lessened quite a bit, once I had completed my emergency fix, so I was able to get back onto
the highway easily enough. I decided to get off the parkway at the next exit and was extremely nervous
for the next 12 miles along coal-black, country roads. The lights 'flickered' a few times over rough patches,
but never went out completely.

I also have to say that I was less nervous continuing on, because I had attached 6 magnetic FRED Lights
to the tailgate and front bumber! Bright white setting on the front and red flashing in back. Those things lit
up the deuce like I was in a Christmas parade!! :wink:

Turned out to be a weak ground connection coming off the battery, likely because I had recently wire
brushed that area in preparation for priming and painting. :oops: Seems as if a buildup of CARC paint was
all that had been keeping the ground connection. Luckily it all turned out to be just a 'Live-N-Learn'
experience and not something much worse.

After all was said and done... it was an easy fix for me and that's a good thing, because automotive,
electrical, trouble-shooting is not one of my great strengths.

Still.... I continue to learn from threads like this one! [thumbzup]