• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Iraq / Afghanistan conflicts Gun truck build

vtdeucedriver

Maddawg here's your VW---I don't think anyone really knows for sure but I also believe that the kits used in Nam started as armored troop carryers, When I started consulting for Livermore one of our first meetings were at Stewart Stevens headquarters in MI---three or four other manufacturers were there with their product which was all armored troop carryers, we had all our plans laid out on the table---unlike everyone else we held back no secrets---a month later at a meeting in Ca. everyone showed up again but this time no armored troop carryers---they were all now gun boxes, there was some armored troop carryers made out of some left over Striker armor and I will look for my pics of that----let me know what you are looking for and I'll see what I have---I do have a bunch of photos from the skunk works in Anaconda when they began putting our boxes together and removing the hillbilly armor
Larry,
no doubt about it. was used for troop protection from sniper fire.

Attachments

Driver523

Well---I agree thats probably the way it went but in talking with Killblane he said there wasn't an explanation of just what your photo was of, no gun ports and there is a different set of holes in one sheet, and no hole for the mirrior, this is your photo isn't it?---can I ask where ya got it?-----but if I had to put my money on something I'd say your right---In 2004-2005 when the 1073rd was in Iraq and Larry was putting some Livermore boxes together he told me he thought that this gun truck thing had started from armored troop carryers----Larry was on Satans Chariot in Nam

vtdeucedriver

Well---I agree thats probably the way it went but in talking with Killblane he said there wasn't an explanation of just what your photo was of, no gun ports and there is a different set of holes in one sheet, and no hole for the mirrior, this is your photo isn't it?---can I ask where ya got it?-----but if I had to put my money on something I'd say your right---In 2004-2005 when the 1073rd was in Iraq and Larry was putting some Livermore boxes together he told me he thought that this gun truck thing had started from armored troop carryers----Larry was on Satans Chariot in Nam
Hey larry,
Yep I own the orig and 2 others. The information is on the back of the photos. Crazy part is that I have done some digging at a contact I got over at Tank Automotive Command in Mich and though they do not deny the picture as it is taken at their facility and the building behind it still exists today. They have no record that the kit was produced at their facility.

Their thoughts are that its the early version of the kit, hense no firing ports or vision slots for the cab. Since the picture is dated Dec 1965, we have always known that the kit was made and sent out in 1966. What is neat is this pic shows the 2x4' panel that was created for the differences between the 12' and 14' beds of the M35 and M54 Series trucks.

SMOKEWAGON66

Driver I would like to see those pictures. I will put the vic in my truck, I am just not sure if I want to give up my bench seat. Anyone have pictures of how they would be set up. Are there any special brackets?
Let me go through all my pics and Ill see if i have any random pics of VIC systems in any of our M1114's or M1117's. Gimme a day or two [thumbzup]

Vintage iron

UPDATE! I just received my 2 mounts and 2 BMG cradles. General Mcgregor finished the drawing of what I have planned for my GT build. I am now looking for a dropside 5 ton bed to build my Gun box on. Anyone in the New England area that can help?

Attachments

Vintage iron

I have my gun truck build back on track. I have made some changes.
First, I am using a M923.
Second I located to a LWS gun ring for the cab
third, I have located the parts to build the proper wall mount pedestals for the rear gun box
fourth, I have purchased a Mk-19 cradle for the gun ring and I have two 50 cal cradles for the rear gun box.
fifth, I purchased 4 MRAP fold up seats for the rear gun box seseating

so I have been busy and it just comes down to building the rear armored box. I am hoping to get some Marine Vets involved in the build since I want this to be a Marine tribut Gun Truck.

I have listed up my Vietnam era gun mounts for sale in the classified, if anyone is interested.

Vintage iron

Any pictures and help would be appreciated. There are some parts that I am looking for I am on a budget but let know if you guys have or seem any of this stuff.
Secondary gun mount for my gun ring. I will put the Mk-19 on the gun ring and a M 60 in the secondary mount. I also am looking for a roof porthole/hatch off a LVS or Hemmt for my hardtop. I have parts to trade or I can just pay for them. Cobra1, I need your help here :)

Last edited:

Vintage iron

wscougarx, I like the secondary weapon mount on the LWS. I bought a MK 64 cradle to mount a MK 19 grenade launcher on my LWS gunner ring. Since my tribute Gun Truck with be a Marine corp. truck. I would like to mount a M60 on a secondary mount off the LWS. I am looking for a secondary weapon mount :) I am not sure everyone is following my lingo?

Vintage iron

Sorry, for the delay guys. I have been busy working on customers trucks. So I finally got a chance to start my Marine Corp, Afghanistan/Iraq Gun truck build. I have been busy getting the key parts gathered. I have a Sand M923 truck for the (base) vehicle, LWS gunners ring complete, Mk 64 cradle with can holder, (2) M23 cradles with can holders. This week I put on a set of locking handle that a good friend gave me, a spot mirror for that passengers side blind spot, a exhaust flapper, rebuilt the front end, put on the 1 1/2 wheel spacers and mounted the 1600R20 XZLs.

Attachments

wsucougarx

The secondary mount I went with is off of a Stryker Vehicle. It can mount either the M249 or M240B. It has dual ammo can trays built into the mount for either platform. It also swivels to where you need it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks