• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is a Boyce m35 Bobber right for me?

Mr. Bliss

Dear m35 enthusiasts,

After some research I have decided that a bobbed m35 is the right truck for my needs. I'd like to express my needs and explain my logic and see if others agree that I have made the right decision.

My needs:
1. Normal everyday pickup truck use. i.e. Moving heavy or bulky items from point a to point b.
2. Family recreation. Camping, off-roading, etc.
3. Diesel fuel/improvised fuel. In the event of an emergency I'd like a vehicle that can run on whatever fuel may happen be available. Also, the ability to store fuel for more than a year or even make my own fuel would be very helpful.
4. EMP resistance. In the event of a nuclear attack or other EMP threat it will be very handy to have a vehicle that still operates for a wide variety of reasons.
5. Bug out. In the event of an emergency I'd like a vehicle that will be able to carry my family and I away from a dangerous situation.
6. Parts availability. Vehicle needs to be common enough that parts can be had fairly easily.
7. Simplicity. Vehicle must be simple enough that even I can maintain or repair it if need be.

I realize that the m35 is about 26" wider than most trail running vehicles and thus will not be able to fit down every trail, but I'm willing to sacrifice some off-road capability to suit other needs. Also, I live in southern AZ and we don't have too many trees in the way.

I also realize that stock surplus m35s can be had for very inexpensive prices and that if I were to do all the work myself I could save a lot of money. However, I am not a diesel mechanic nor do I have the time for another major project. Because of this, I am considering having Boyce Equipment custom build me a bobbed m35. As far as I can tell they are the closest shop to my location that specializes in restoring and bobbing surplus m35s.

Having Boyce custom build me a truck is going to cost me about $24,000 with all the options I'd like to have. Their base restored and bobbed m35 starts at $15K and goes up from there based on options. I checked and other shops such as C&C Equipment out in Indiana seem to charge a very similar price.

Basically I'd like to know the answers to the following questions...
1. Have I made the right choice of vehicle based on my parameters listed above? If not, what are your suggestions?
3. What is your opinion of the Boyce product and are they worth what Boyce is asking? If not, what are your suggestions?

Thank you for your time.

212sparky

first of all welcome to the site. my truck has all 10 wheels still on it and i do not have any issues going off roading out here. If a little jeep can do it i usually can do it as well. when they get bobed you loose the capacity they can carry. plus you have spare tires with you. but it is your truck and do what you want.

Josh

I'd go to 100dollarman in Cali over boyce personally. Dunno what boyce charges for a bobbed deuce, but 100dollarman I've delt with and have always had fantastic service. Boyce isn't bad, but most of the things I've seen of theres is way overpriced.2cents

Last edited:

KsM715

Check out 100dollarman in Cali. It might be like comparing apples to oranges but I know his trucks are way less than 24 grand.

Nothing against Boyce Equip. Im sure their stuff is top notch but for what you listed as your uses, one of hundys trucks would do.

edit: Josh types faster than I do.

Josh

Check out 100dollarman in Cali. It might be like comparing apples to oranges but I know his trucks are way less than 24 grand.

Nothing against Boyce Equip. Im sure their stuff is top notch but for what you listed as your uses, one of hundys trucks would do.

edit: Josh types faster than I do.
And I'm on a phone to boot:beer:

Mr. Bliss

Extra options are as follows...

Base Price $15,000.00
Top DOT Lighting $156.00
Sliding Rear Window $190.00
Passenger Spring Seat $350.00
Bed DOT Lighting $100.00
Power Steering $3,155.00
Air Conditioning $1,860.00
60amp 12v Reducer $440.00
Trailer Hitch $240.00
Spare Tire with Custom Wheel $750.00
Lock-Out Hubs $645.00
Detroit Locker Rear $850.00
Detroit Locker Front $850.00

Mr. Bliss

I saw 100dollarman, but noticed that they aren't painting the trucks. Maybe I shouldn't care? I'm glad to hear some have had good experiences with them and their products as they are much closer to me and much more affordable.

rattlecan6104

Post #1 and you come out swinging... I cant tell you much about boyce equipment products, but I figure an m109 will best suite your needs for all of the above except the "daily pickup needs" and parts availability.

Asking for a dual purpose rig is common, but if you are really that serious about bugging out and survival, I would suggest a setup like the oddball express. You will have protected living space as well as carge space to haul all of your fuel, tools, and spare parts. Speaking of spare parts, that parts ability thing, unless you have a field of deuces nearby to cannibalize off of, in a SHTF situation, parts will become very hard to come by, mainly because no venders will be around to sell you the stuff. 2cents

Mr. Bliss

My first thought to fit my parameters was an 89-93 4x4 Dodge pickup with the 1st gen Cummins, but those proved to be WAY harder to find than m35s.

DeucesWild11

Mr. Bliss, sounds like you have about the same needs that I do/wish with my deuce. I looked at having one built and the guys out there that do it are great, however you can find a used one at a fraction of the price. I found mine for $5500 (a steal) and then added the larger tires so I am into it for about $6,800 currently. Check out my thread "My Deuce Before and After" to see what I did.
I would suggest looking on Craigslist in states somewhat close to you and see what you can find first.
Good luck in your search, hope to have you as a SS member soon.

joshs1ofakindxj

1. Normal everyday pickup truck use. i.e. Moving heavy or bulky items from point a to point b.
Check

2. Family recreation. Camping, off-roading, etc.
Check

3. Diesel fuel/improvised fuel. In the event of an emergency I'd like a vehicle that can run on whatever fuel may happen be available. Also, the ability to store fuel for more than a year or even make my own fuel would be very helpful.
You'll want an M35A2 with the multi fuel engine and access to lots of waste motor oil.

4. EMP resistance. In the event of a nuclear attack or other EMP threat it will be very handy to have a vehicle that still operates for a wide variety of reasons.
This is hyped up to be way more of an issue than it actually is. There has been a lot of testing on many vehicles and the results are conclusive. Vehicles will be mobile, but the systems that deliver fuel will be the reason the vehicles stop. Those systems and all other systems dependent on the electricity grid will be down.

5. Bug out. In the event of an emergency I'd like a vehicle that will be able to carry my family and I away from a dangerous situation.
You'll be a big and slow target. Hope you have a plan and a destination.

6. Parts availability. Vehicle needs to be common enough that parts can be had fairly easily.
The more I become involved in these trucks, the more places I find for new and used parts.

7. Simplicity. Vehicle must be simple enough that even I can maintain or repair it if need be.
As far as working on vehicles goes, there is specialized knowledge for these trucks, similar to other heavy old trucks. Learn as you go. Hopefully you bring some skills and experience to the table. I find working on my truck to be no more complex than working on one of my old jeeps, but the scale is larger. Changing a tire is significantly more time consuming for example.

I have no further comments. Good luck!

Chief_919

A CUCV pickup will meet all your above needs, and do it in a better and far more practical way than the bobbed deuce will.

For everyday use, the bed height is more practical.

Far more comfortable for the family.

The 6.2 will run on pretty much everything the LDT will, except it will need more oil dumped in with gasoline. And the CUCV will use a lot less fuel- that is important in your scenarios.

Only part possible affected by EMP is the glow plug card, 20 minutes and $5 and you can eliminate it.

Attracts a lot less unwanted attention when things get crappy and you need to bug out.

Parts availability. The CUCV is simple- walk into any parts store and they are all over. The Deuce is the exact opposite, aside from filters you can't get anything at a parts store. No starters, no alternators, no anything. Not even a headlight for a deuce at most parts places. CUCV parts are also cheaper.

Simplicity- only complex part of a CUCV is the electrical system, and that is easy enough to learn, or for your uses conversion to 12v is the best plan.

And I can build a kick ass truck, and toss in a trailer, for $14,000 less.....

I would advise you to look at starting with an M1008, M1028, or M1010 ambulance and building it for your needs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks