• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is a civilian allowed to own and posess an MK48 front unit?

trukhead

I am interested in owning a MK48 and a mk47 rear unit. can a civilian own one and does the army get rid of them?

:driver::jumpin::beer::cookoo::beer:

Stalwart

Last one I saw was pretty rough and rusty and at $50,000 it probably was a good buy.

You WILL NOT get one cheap, as Frodo said, they are all going back for rebuild. The trailers you can get however.

trukhead

Ya I found a trailer and put a bid on it then got out bid and put bids on the other 2 and will probably get out bid on them. I guess I will maybe let them pass.

Stalwart

It could be done and you would need a viscous coupling so minor tire wear differences wouldn't have the trailer either pushing or pulling the tractor. LOTSA $$$$$$

trukhead

What would I do with an Mk47

Well it is rebuilt so I thought I could collect it and wait for the front part to become available and then buy that part.

Until then I thought just graft on a truck front like a cabover or conventional pete. Just use the rear 2 axles to drive and have a steer axle up front.

I'd use it to fetch bails of hay off the farm until I found the MK48 then I'd show it off in parades and Mil shows and generally drive it around the farm.

aua:tin hat::confused::jumpin::deadhorse:fat lady sings

I day dream to much!

budweiser bill

I know for a fact you can own them, finding them is the trick I have 2, bought my 1st in 2003 the 2nd in 2006 havent seen another for sale after that one, which may be a good thing for anybody concidering buying one they are very expensive to restore and the parts are imposible to find. all that being said I love the crap out of my mk48 Im just a few parts away from completing one the other I'm going to make into a movie prop and hope to recoupe some money so good luck with your search

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I day dream to much!
Please wake up enough from your day dreaming, to post in the correct/appropriate Forum.

This thread has nothing to do with improving the SS web site.

rwbrown72

I know for a fact you can own them, finding them is the trick I have 2, bought my 1st in 2003 the 2nd in 2006 havent seen another for sale after that one, which may be a good thing for anybody concidering buying one they are very expensive to restore and the parts are imposible to find. all that being said I love the crap out of my mk48 Im just a few parts away from completing one the other I'm going to make into a movie prop and hope to recoupe some money so good luck with your search
nopics

You can't talk about it and not show us some pictures! Those are the rules!

135gmc

If they're getting rebuilt, government contractors are going to be bidding on them at the auctions so they can rebuild them for sale to the US or to a NATO customer - that happened to me on a surplis sale last year - the price was perfect until the last hour, then it tripled in a few minutes and I quit bidding.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks