• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is there a certain year to look for when buying?

ib14a69

Is there a better year to look for? Or will any year do? Looking maybe for some info if there were stronger parts used or a better configuration of something. Is it better to get/find a newer one like a 87 for example or stick with something from around 71 ish?

greenjeepster

The only real important difference between older and new is the T-case. The older trucks (up to late 60s) were all wheel drive with high and low range. The newer trucks are air shift 6x6 so you can engage and disengage 6 wheel drive. Down side to the air shift is that if you loose your air supply you also loose 6x6.

Over the years many have been upgraded and overhauled so a certain year does not mean the truck will reflect that.

wsucougarx

Well, actually one major difference is the braking system. If you wish to have a split brake system then you'll need to find a '87 and later model USAF contract M35A2C. All pre-'86 trucks have the standard single circuit braking systems. Other than that they are all basically the same. The very early M35 (not M35A2) were gassers.

ib14a69

I am brand new as you can see. Whats the diff in the brakes? Are there many out there with split breaks? Can the be changed over if they dont have them? And for how much?

Last edited:

wsucougarx

In a standard pre '86 deuce, if you loose just one wheel cylinder----NO BRAKES!!! The '87 and later models have the front brakes on a separate circuit than the rears. With a 13,000 # truck that can be an issue with our good ole I-5 traffic. The truck does come equipped with a "Parking Brake" but really that's all it is. It will eventually help to slow you down, but with a panic stop...eeks. To change the braking system over to split brakes can be a costly adventure. There are several threads in here addressing this very thing. I wouldn't let the brake thing steer you away from a deuce. With proper maintenance and inspections you should be good to go. These trucks aren't your standard vehicle. Just remember many of these trucks are 40 plus years old and many have been left to pasture before coming up on auctions/sales.

Last edited:

ib14a69

Do you think I am better off to buy from a private party that probably got it from a auction or from gl at ft lewis?

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Private party affords the ability to drive the truck and test everything out before buying. GL at FT Lewis doesn't allow you to do anything to the truck (ie:start is up) before bidding. You do take a bit of a gamble buying from GL in respect to this. You don't know if you're bidding on a deadlined deuce or not.

greenjeepster

Do you think I am better off to buy from a private party that probably got it from a auction or from gl at ft lewis?
What it comes down to is pay less and wait longer or pay more and pick it up when you buy it. If you are strapped for cash and in no hurry than buy from GL, if you want one tomorrow buy it private sale. One benefit to private sale is that you will be able to start and drive the truck around, see how you like it, how it runs etc. GL does not allow you to do that so even if you go and preview and find a truck that will start; that does not mean that when you finally get to pick it up it will drive down the road.

stumps

There is one other issue that may be important to you. In 1968 and beyond, US cars and trucks started to wear a seal from the DOT that said they met the DOT standards in effect on the year of manufacture. Deuces of any age won't have that sticker. Some states (Wisconsin) will not register any military vehicle that was made after 1967, unless it has the DOT compliance sticker.

All deuces, save for a very few with split brakes are built like they are 1965 trucks. No deuce, even the latest and greatest meets DOT standards for any model year after 1967.

-Chuck

kurtkds

With proper maintenance and inspections you should be good to go. These trucks aren't your standard vehicle. Just remember many of these trucks are 40 plus years old and many have been left to pasture before coming up on auctions/sales.

If you plan on buying from GL then you should plan on going through all the systems on your purchase. I spent my free time the first year that I owned mine going through it and replacing anything that was questionable.

If you buy from a private party, hopefully they have gone through the truck and taken care of any major issues.

ib14a69

not to highjack my own thread but i thought i read somewhere that the white diesel engine is better than the herculies but cannot find it now. whats the diff if any?

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No difference, they were all made to the same specs. On later blocks there is a TD on the right side that stands for thick deck though. Most deuces have this engine.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you try to title a deuce made in 1982 or later, you may (depending on your state) have to work your way up to the DMV headquarters in your state. Starting in 1982, all US vehicles have 17(I think) digits in the VIN, and the dueces and 5-tons only have 9 digits. The local office DMV computers will kick it out, and headquarters will have to manually issue a title.

Just plan on a hassle, but it can be done.

BugEyeBear

Also check on your insurance rates before selecting a year.

IF you register it as a vintage vehicle it typically needs to be a certain year or older.

Vintage tags have some use restrictions, and some storage requirements, BUT you can save some serious $$ on insurance!

ib14a69

not worried about the insurance. ive got 14 rigs. they have to be 30yrs old in wa to get the collector plates and not have to buy tabs for 7 years, just have to buy new plates again. ins is cheap. i only pay about 4 bucks for 6 months on the ones i dont drive and only have to call in and tell them if i am gonna take it out.

wsucougarx

14 rigs? Good golly miss molly. You can pretty much expect to have at least 20 now that you're diving into the Military Vehicle scene. LOL, you just wait...you'll know what I'm talking about as soon as you bring your first one home:p Married? Be ready to be doing lots of explaining and spending time in the dog house. How do I know...;-) Since AUG08, 5 deuces and 4 trailers later (sold 2 trucks and 2 trailers)

jollyroger

14 rigs? Good golly miss molly. You can pretty much expect to have at least 20 now that you're diving into the Military Vehicle scene. LOL, you just wait...you'll know what I'm talking about as soon as you bring your first one home:p Married? Be ready to be doing lots of explaining and spending time in the dog house. How do I know...;-) Since AUG08, 5 deuces and 4 trailers later (sold 2 trucks and 2 trailers)
I would have to agree with you. I have always had M-37's and such. I got my deuce in August and have bought 395-85-20's for it, an M-105, an M-103, 3 M-105 trailer beds and am looking for some parts trucks and a few to bob. It's madness. But I like it. Thankfully my girlfriend is very understanding.