• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

It's a m309!

BadMastard

Well, if you add m200 and m109 together, which is what this is. Back story- we bought and used a m109a3 to move our gear to Seattle from SLC. Of course, there were many other reasons to buy one, mostly because we really wanted one. What a great excuse moving was.

After moving we started kicking around ideas of what we wanted to do with the beast. Affectionately called Grandpa. We voted on bobbing, and bought a m105a3 for parts.

Here is where plans went awry. After we bought the 105, we decided to use our 109 for a camping trip to a burning man event. The event was warm to cold, wet to mostly wet and the 109 did an awesome job as a camper, with little more than a bed rack in, and a 24 volt converter.

Change of plans. Rather than just get rid of the 109 box, we decided to keep it. So, we stole(sub $250) a m200 2.5 ton gen trailer from Fort Lewis. Took some old aluminum c channel that was lying around, some 4x10 lumber, grade 8 bolts and voila! We now have a trailer with capacity to move the 3800 lb box to.

Throw in a wrangler unlimited with a winch, a little wood, some serious unbolting and hammering, and we have created a m309a1 camper. Yep, photos coming.

Things to do. Add water tank in gen frame area. Add solar panel and 12V battery for what power we might need. Maybe a generator, and some nice steps. replace a tire or two, and give it a whirl.

Attachments

BadMastard

End result

Here she is. 6200 lbs total, 600 lbs front tongue weight, 4 inches of tire clearance.

Tires didn't line up the way I hoped for as we had some adjustments to re-balance the weight. Box wasn't quite evenly weighted front to back, it almost seemed too heavy in the back. Odd. Distance from box to lunette ring limited too. This will have to be field tested, might be ok, might need rework and move back the 12 inches originally in the design.

We don't see it being used for heavy off road, mostly extended camping outings in primitive camps. And I'm told I have to say that we will be painting it as a gypsy wagon. This should be fun!

Side note- the 109 is faster without the box. OMG faster. I can actually spin the tires in gravel, though not intentionally. Something about all the weight being gone. I now understand why some of our dear friends drive the semi MV's. Unloaded, this thing rocks! Brakes fast, turns smooth, great pickup. No real change in top speed, but this one didn't need that. Little bouncier. I will note more as the bob continues.

Attachments

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, looks good. I also have a m109a3 and an m200a1 trailer I was thinking about doing that to. It's not often you use the m109 as a camper but it would still be nice to have around. I'm almost leaning toward making the m200a1 into a dump trailer though... Too many choices! Haha

BadMastard

We are loving the way it's turned out. As a drop at base camp trailer, it's awesome. Lots of space, room for tools and extra gear. I was worrying it was going to be a inadvertent dump truck though. Fortunately the balance is good where it is. The reptile part of my brain is saying it needs super singles though. If only there was tire clearance!

SGT LongT

This is exactly the idea I had when I searched for "camper trailer." I look forward to see your progress in both the bobbed and the camper trailer :beer:

BadMastard

The trailer is rated to 7000# on road, so the axle with the duals is pretty well mid weight fully loaded. Dual axles might be the next attempt, after I see how the single axles work out. I'm thinking the way it's setup is good, but time will tell. We have been a bit busy with my dad having major back surgery, so the box project has been on hold. Time to get wrenching on it again though!

Hmmm... Odd thought just crossed my mind. I will be bobbing the deuce, and using the m105 to donate a bed from it. I'll have to rethink dual axles, as I might have enough gear to drop the hangars and all from the deuce bob to the 200 trailer, and reuse the 105 axle. Decisions, decisions.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
any updates on this thread? i am thinking about putting my M109 Box on a deuce frame with M105 springs and either my M200 axle or a dualed M105 axle. does anybody know if we can flip the hubs on a M105 to make them dualed like the M200? if its too much of a pain to make the M105 trailer axle dualed with respect to getting the bearings to be properly centered so i dont tear them up, ill just put new spring perches on my M200 axle and use that i guess. be nicer to use a M105 axle so i dont have to rob parts from the M200. after it is on the deuce frame, ill put a tongue on it and tow it with the deuce!

shenkmen

any updates on this thread? i am thinking about putting my M109 Box on a deuce frame with M105 springs and either my M200 axle or a dualed M105 axle. does anybody know if we can flip the hubs on a M105 to make them dualed like the M200? if its too much of a pain to make the M105 trailer axle dualed with respect to getting the bearings to be properly centered so i dont tear them up, ill just put new spring perches on my M200 axle and use that i guess. be nicer to use a M105 axle so i dont have to rob parts from the M200. after it is on the deuce frame, ill put a tongue on it and tow it with the deuce!
There is another thread active right now where they concluded flipping the hubs on the the m105 get's you nowhere. I'd go with the M200 axle.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/trailers/73037-can-m105-trailer-hubs-flipped.html

Last edited:

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any ideas what i shoukd use for a tongue on the deuce frame? I like the M105 landing gear but is the tongue strong enough to be attached to a deuce frame that i would use to put the M109 box on? The M105 frame width and the deuce frame width are the same so maybe it would be easier im thinking. Any suggestions anybody?

wildbilly1760

I dont think there is a need to flip 105 hubs. just need the Budd lug nuts like the m35 rears have, then add the extra tires to make it a dually trailer. Some were used over in the desert that way. I have seen pics on SS of the set up. the 105 tongue fits right inside of m35 frames. several SS builds with that set up on here. My plan is to stretch a 105 frame, dually the axel, and place 109 box on it. Putting the wheels under the rear wheel well of the 109. lengthening the frame would be my easiest part, since I am a welder by trade and have stretched a few truck frames in the past to make dump trucks. My only other needs is to lengthen the airlines and electrical wires, which shouldnt be super complicated. the 105 frame is 34" wide the same as a m35. The box "should" fit on there pretty decent. Same use for the trailer, as I would probably only tow it to a few camping events, or to our property for camping. So off-roading would basically just be dirt roads for this thing. It is still in the design stages, and I hope to get started this spring. 1st, lift off the 105 bed from my donor trailer.......then I can start the process. My 109 box was already pulled off, and has began life as a mil surplus supply shed. I need to get this project started so it doesnt get filled up too bad. Anyhow, awesome thread. I love to read all this stuff I can.

Hammer

A stock 105 axle that has duals on it will be slightly over legal width. I think around 103"+
I have thought about so many uses for my m200, but still haven't done any of them.
Of course my extra 5th wheel setup is still sitting 430 miles away from me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks