• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

It's a m309!

jrobinson5093

I have been thinkin about making a camper trailer out of my m109 box. I want to use a dual axel trailer and have it lower to the ground. I want to be able to pull it behind my 1 ton and my deuce. what mil trailer would be a good choice to have? I want about 3 to 4 foot infront of the box for storage. Would a civi trailer be better?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are a few M109 trailers on this site. At least 2 attend the GA Rally. Both builds were covered on here as well. Instead of trying to re-invent the wheel, look around a bit to see what you can find.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I have been thinkin about making a camper trailer out of my m109 box. I want to use a dual axel trailer and have it lower to the ground. I want to be able to pull it behind my 1 ton and my deuce. what mil trailer would be a good choice to have? I want about 3 to 4 foot infront of the box for storage. Would a civi trailer be better?
How do you plan on working the brakes, this would be a lot of trailer without.

Welder Sam

i am using a 105a3 tongue with the surge brakes. let me tell ya, the tongue DOES NOT FIT INSIDE OF A DEUCE FRAME! i dont remember the specific widths. i think the tongue is a bit over 3" wider than the truck frame. my answer to this was simple. notch the frame and graft the tongue in. and... whallah.. M-214?

Attachments

Last edited:

BadMastard

Well, it's been a while since I posted on this, but here's an update.

When light (mostly empty, maybe 1000 lbs in it) The rig tows well, handles nicely, and is just fine. We of course loaded it up to about 4000 lbs, and had it well stacked to the ceiling. This was not as good. There was significant slow speed tilting over semi-rough terrain. Enough to make one worry. It definitely became unruly offroad with side to side sway. I wouldn't be doing that again if I was me.

I'm sure it was all a very high CG problem. If I had to do it all over again, I'd consider the dual axles if I wanted to go off road, and I'd consider pulling it with a 5 ton versus a deuce. Although it's well within the deuces weight capacity, it does make for some slow going up hill.

Everything else about it works awesome. It's still water tight, still electrically sound, and still lots of fun to use for camping in. All we have is an air mattress on a shelf that runs side to side in the front of the trailer, and the underside of it doubles up for storage. Great rig!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks