Its cold outside lets talk Heaters, H81, H82, H83, etc.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Decrease fuel pressure, after first test fire. better to have not enough than too much and flood the chamber

sounds like it wasnt clean burning if the sight window was dirty

IceCastle

I got this heater back together today, its rocking out the heat, 45 minutes running now, burner is cycling on/off without issues, and the chill is out of the shop! Future readers, if you keep getting red light of death, clean the flame sensor and nozzle first.

Last edited:

IceCastle

Running 100psi today, see a little smoke on startup, then it clears up. Snowy overcast day today, hard to judge the smoke, think its clearing tomorrow, might bump it down 80-90 and see how it looks tomorrow. Need to look into running a duct for better heat distribution, shop space is long and narrow, north end is toasty warm now, south end is not bone chilling any more.

Last edited:

Drkatzphd3

Guys I know this is an older thread but I'm trying to figure out thenissue with my H82. I picked this up for 50 bucks (right place. Right time) and had to fix a broken fuel line. Other than cleaning the sediment bowl everythign was working great till yesterday. I heat my garage with it, and I had it running basically all day. I was working on a snowblower when it started making a noise. I wouldnt call it a click, more of a buzzing sound. It would go buzz, buzz, buzz and cycle off. After the third time i walked over to it, and watched. When it was buzzing, the fuel pressure gauge would flop around wildly then down to where it sets when the burner is off. I watched through the sight glass and when it buzzed the flame was intermently going off and on. Ive had it a month or so, burned probably 1 tank of diesel through it. Recently got some fuel oil from someone switching to natural gas, and it just started acting up. I doubt the fuel has anything to do with it because it burns just fine. I fear it has something to do with igniters or transformer, just hoping someone has had the same experience......

Attachments

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
remove and clean the burner, also adjust the igniters while you are in there, check bottom of burn chamber for fm, verify exhaust is clear and free flowing, verify ‘fire eye’ sensor is looking straight down the tube

clean fuel filter again....

you said sediment bowl, there should be brass filter assembly inside that sediment bowl

Last edited:

Drkatzphd3

Yes i read all 7 pages, didnt see anything refering to buzzing. I see clicki g, issues with the solenoid ect. There isnt a filterlter inside the bowl...any idea where to find parts other than the burner i see on ebay. Scheduled to take it apart this week for cleaning, just trying to find a scenario that sounded like mine.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
there is a funny filter, its like a whole bunch of copper washers stacked on top of each other, i think it just needs a large micro filter to jkeep the big chucks from going thru injector

i attempted to make my recreate your problem but its not cold enough to get a good run, but mine throws a fits below freezing always sputters and fluctuates fuel pressure when starting, i am sure my selector valve leaks so it won’t maintain prime, but only really notice when its cold, like below freezing

Last edited:

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You cant hear it sputtering because the fan wind noise, thats why i tried to get burner in video but heater is hard to get to the back where its placed.

Drkatzphd3

I see what your saying ill have to get a video of mine because the sound and the needle movement arent quite the same, but its probably the same issue. I appreciate your help, i dont think too many furnace repair guys are familliar with these

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its the same as an oil burner set up, NY has lots of those dont they? force in Air, force in fuel, toss in an igniter and you got heat

Guyfang

Could the "buzzing" Be the igniter, firing off, but no start? I seem to remember that after a certain amount of firing, and no flame, it will cut out the igniter, to cool it off. Hence, sometimes you hear it, sometimes you dont?

Drkatzphd3

Its the same as an oil burner set up, NY has lots of those dont they? force in Air, force in fuel, toss in an igniter and you got heat
Yes, unfortunately many of the new to the industry guys look at you weird when you tell them what it is and since they are not familiar with the model tell me they can't help me. I'm sure the older techs would have no issue. I am going to take a crack at it myself this weekend, we shall see.

Drkatzphd3

Could the "buzzing" Be the igniter, firing off, but no start? I seem to remember that after a certain amount of firing, and no flame, it will cut out the igniter, to cool it off. Hence, sometimes you hear it, sometimes you dont?
yes that is what I am thinking. The buzzing is coming from the transformer box connected to the igniter, and when you look through the glass you see the flame going on and off to the the buzzing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks