• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Its cold outside lets talk Heaters, H81, H82, H83, etc.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isaac, was this out of an army use heater that probably got psi washed? or was it from a long term storage, real 1 hour heater?

Last edited:

Isaac-1

This heater had its hour meter disconnected, so I don't know actual hours, but based upon cosmetic condition when I bought it, I suspect it was relatively low use. Though being in Louisiana with high humidity anything is prone to rusting.

Cdtdiesel

It was running fine for a few hours shut it off came back out and it turns on runs for about 20 seconds and then alarm goes ofg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the flame sensor for proper alignment. The sensor is held in place with a rubber tube, tube gets hot, then cools down and pulls the sensor out of alignment. Not the greatest enginerding , had 1 heater that had to be re-engineered with plastic ties to keep it in place.

Cdtdiesel

Check the flame sensor for proper alignment. The sensor is held in place with a rubber tube, tube gets hot, then cools down and pulls the sensor out of alignment. Not the greatest enginerding , had 1 heater that had to be re-engineered with plastic ties to keep it in place.
Thank you checking it now

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you remove the whole burner assy? or just the cover? If you removed the burner assy, check and double check the spark gap and alignment to the injector. When you say fuel but no spark, when you view the burner chamber thru the peep sight, you have no blue spark while in vent mode?

Cdtdiesel

We have the whole burner assy. Out and hooked up but no spark. When it was still in we looked through the peep and there was nothing

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
take it to a oil heater shop, this is almost the same as a oil heater for the home, it uses like parts, but since its military its numbers wont match exactly.

Triton

I'd like to purchase one of these heaters, I know winter is probably not the best time to buy one but I never see them for sale. Does anybody have a source for them?

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doggod10, are you having issues? if so,post up your questions.

Triton, I have one extra, but I have never fired it and have controlled exchanged parts. I do know of one I sold that might be for sale. will make a call.

IceCastle

Hi folks, I'm trying to get my H81 heater running. I purchased this unit 25 or so years ago, first 2 winters it ran fine, it was a warmer climate, only used it on coldest days for a few hours to knock the chill out of the warehouse, of note, we were running it on a 50/50 mix of diesel and used motor oil. 3rd winter it would light on warm days, refused to light on cold days when we needed it. At that point in time I had no manual, I remember tracking problem to K8 relay, I remember watching relay heat up and turn unit off. I moved to a smaller shop, heater got shoved into storage for 20 or so years, presently setting up a new shop, in new location that is much colder, I need heat before they find my frozen body.

Heater is now installed in new shop, exhaust pipe plumbed to outdoors, igniter throwing nice blue arc, it fires for a few seconds and goes out. Plan for today is clean oil filter, its a "self cleaning" type filter, you are supposed to turn knob on top to clean, knob is currently stuck. Next step will be to open burner and make sure flame sensor is properly positioned, maybe pull and clean injector nozzle too.

I read this entire thread last night, little confused on what to do about K8 relay, one poster mentions potential ground issue, then recommends letting relay hang loose, which seems to me it would have no ground that way? Looks like one of you found an off-the-shelf replacement for K8, not sure if I need that yet, but a link to replacement might just come in
handy.

Anyone ever consider rewiring one of these so it operates more like a conventional heater? Seems to me that a standard oil furnace control could be used so fan turns on, delay and sense fan is on, burner ignites. When temp is reached solenoid closes to shut burner off, fan runs till burner is cool, fan shuts off. Does not sound too difficult, of course that is a job for next summer, right now I just need heat.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks