• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Its finally here!

Poolboy 7631

My M1078 arrived last Friday while was out of town, and I finally got to see it yesterday. It was frozen in the ice when the driver arrived to get it, but it was at a towing company lot, and they used a wheel loader to break it free. Winched it on the Landoll and got it home. Checked it out on Sunday and was pretty pleased. Two things of note, cab has the distinct smell of mice, arg! Removed the PDP cover and found what is detailed in the picture. Hoping they did not go nuclear on the wiring, I will go really deep into the dash before putting any power to the system. It is cold in Chicago and the batteries were just blocks of ice. I am doubtful but I am going to thaw them out and try giving them a repair/maintenance charge and see what happens. On the positive side I found this when I opened the toolbox door. I have not seen any pictures/mention of trucks coming with what I believe to be the "factory" set of tools. Appears to be a lug wrench, tools in a canvas style pouch, flare kit, handle for the hand hydraulic pump and/or the bottle jack (still wrapped in its original paper), a radiator cover and snatch block.IMG_20220213_164620.jpgIMG_20220213_164235.jpg

Ronmar

Cool! I had a mouse nest under the instrument panel. They used the drivers seat cover to make the nest but didn’t touch the wiring… that mess looks like outside material so hopefully yours is the same. Lots of space inside the entire dash for them to make a mess though…

Poolboy 7631

Cool! I had a mouse nest under the instrument panel. They used the drivers seat cover to make the nest but didn’t touch the wiring… that mess looks like outside material so hopefully yours is the same. Lots of space inside the entire dash for them to make a mess though…
Thanks for the insight on their choice of nesting material, that helps ease my mind a little on what I might find.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Definitely carefully inspect that PDP board. They are known for solder cracks and mouse pee doesn't do anything nice to solder or electrical connections. You will want to pull it (carefully document where everything goes) anyway to check the wiring under there and especially the ground point on the passenger grab handle, etc. I would disassemble it and clean everything with isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush. Might be wise to just go through and reflow all the solder joints with some real lead based electronics solder.

Poolboy 7631

I spy a Skookum in that box.

Worth almost as much as the truck (according to some surplus scaplers).

;)
Would love to see some additional pics of all the tools/accessories. Mine didn’t come with any but I would love to source the correct kit.

congrats on your score!
I will post pictures and get as many NSN's as I can. Probably won't be until this Saturday. I think I should start a new post, looking guidance from the admins on this.

INFChief

Would love to see some additional pics of all the tools/accessories. Mine didn’t come with any but I would love to source the correct kit.

congrats on your score!
There isn’t a kit per se; but if you look in the back of the -10 you’ll see a list of On Vehicle Equipment (OVE), Basic Issue Items (BII), and so forth. Not all 1078’s or 1083’s (etc) came with the same tools. Trucks with winches or wreckers, or trucks with cranes had additional items.

The LMHC (light material handling crane) could be ordered as a kit.

When these trucks were originally issued all the tools, etc., that came with them were boxed up and the components were for specific models / “sub-models”. Something (if They were Generous) the Equipment Fielding Team would uncrate those tools and put them on the vehicle. The gaining unit would still have to sort through each piece for inventory purposes and check those items off of a “hand receipt” that the gaining unit would sign and turn in to ‘higher’ signifying that they had each item. The gaining unit would then reissue all that stuff down to the actual operator who would sign for the vehicle and all the gadgets that came with it. It was like signing your life away!

Lostchain

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isn't the basic kit shown in the TM somewhere?
My hunt only revealed part numbers, but not diagrams or anything? Maybe I looked in the wrong place? My interest in the accessories is just to know (for example) what an official winch truck snatch block looks like, so even if some website fudges the NSN of their product, I would know if it’s the correct one. I would like to get the period correct accessories to try to keep the truck as original as possible.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks