• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

It's not a deuce

BILLDEUCE

Trying to come up with some type of slogan or saying to have made into a sticker to put on my truck. Saying it's not a deuce it's a 5ton anyone have any good ideas or thoughts?

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the same problem talked about in this thread: people keep calling my truck a REO (as in a Deuce built by Reo). My solution (not ready yet) will be a T-shirt with a Deuce and a 5-ton next to each other, with the following text:

No it is NOT

• [*=center]a REO

[*=center]a Deuce

[*=center]a 2 1/2 ton

Proud owner of a Kaiser Jeep 5-ton Dump Truck

Hawssie

That brings me to a question. Whats the purpose for a deuce in the Military in the first place( at least now). Having a whole different 3 axle lighter duty truck doesn't seem sensible. Nothing against the Deuce (well maybe a little). I guess the military figured that out with the newer Fmtv Lmtv Cabover trucks where the 2 1/2T only has two axles and the 5T has three, most of the rest being the same except engine HP tuning for output.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not an expert but a Deuce in war time in a lot of situations is easier to handle and work with than a 5-ton. The here-famous Czech Prage V3S and the Dutch Daf are also in the 2 1/2 - 3 ton range. In WW II and the first part of the Cold War, that size just was easier to do. So the military just continued that tradition for a long time.

Today, at least the Dutch Army uses trucks for transport that are directly based on existing civil versions, like the DAF YA 4440 series (4-ton trucks) with single rear axles; as you say, double axles are overkill in almost all situations for those trucks.

wiggall

I kind of have the same problems in Parades I have signs on my doors that say: ( 1968 Kaiser-Jeep M35A2W/W !) And I get a Vet or two who will yell " THAT IS NOT A JEEP!" I am not saying that it is a little jeep, but it WAS BUILT BY Kaiser-Jeep!