• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

It's unfair

BobM

We bought our 1008 for a song. We made an awesome roadtrip to towbar it home 644 miles from Ft Mead to west-central Indiana. it has proven to be an awesome truck during the ice and snow that we have had this year.
But this rotten economy may make me sell my FIRST mv to weather the tough times ahead.
Day to day we, the wife and I, are going to work dreading the layoff slip that may or may not come. I guess that we are part of the "underachievers" that a prominent radio host hates.
I don't believe that I will lose my house, but my retirement will sure take a beating. But even if I end up selling this truck, I WILL have another!

M1075

If you got it for "a song", then I don't understand why you would need to sell it. It is not like you have a lot of $$$ tied up in it. Tell you wife to sell some of her shoes or something! Selling off MVs for cash flow purposes should come as a last resort. :-D

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you got it for "a song", then I don't understand why you would need to sell it. It is not like you have a lot of $$$ tied up in it. Tell you wife to sell some of her shoes or something! Selling off MVs for cash flow purposes should come as a last resort. :-D
I can see where he's comming from. Doesn't matter what he paid for it but what he can get out of it. If he gave $100 for it but it's worth $3,000 and he needs $3,000 to keep from going bankrupt then the $100 he gave for it is a moot point.

I do agree it would have to be a last resort though :wink:.

BobM

Having bought it for a "song" it makes the most sense to me to realize a profit. And I didn't list the specifics of my finances, of course. But I just settled up my Mom's estate before this economy hit the skids. Being a cheapskate, I basically used up all my cash so that I wouldn't have to borrow any money. Now that the banks, etc, aren't lending money I see my mistake.

BobM

I can see where he's comming from. Doesn't matter what he paid for it but what he can get out of it. If he gave $100 for it but it's worth $3,000 and he needs $3,000 to keep from going bankrupt then the $100 he gave for it is a moot point.

I do agree it would have to be a last resort though :wink:.

Exactly! And it isn't up for sale yet! :-D

maritimer

dotn fee lbad man i got my first mv just over a year ago, and i spent 3 years dreamign of it lol, got almost 10k eassy tied into it but i need to free up soem cash for a downpayment on a hoouse so off to the sales block she goes, but i knwo where theres a duece not doing anything buried under a pile of wood that i can pick up dirt cheap, and theres no shipping cause its only about 15 mintues drive away just gonna need to spend some mroe $$ onc ei get ti to restore it back up, but the guy hid it for me out of site and i been slowly talkign the other half into it, once the hoouse mortgage goes throug hits mine lol

BobM

dotn fee lbad man i got my first mv just over a year ago, and i spent 3 years dreamign of it lol, got almost 10k eassy tied into it but i need to free up soem cash for a downpayment on a hoouse so off to the sales block she goes, but i knwo where theres a duece not doing anything buried under a pile of wood that i can pick up dirt cheap, and theres no shipping cause its only about 15 mintues drive away just gonna need to spend some mroe $$ onc ei get ti to restore it back up, but the guy hid it for me out of site and i been slowly talkign the other half into it, once the hoouse mortgage goes throug hits mine lol

Good plan maritimer. That's kinda my idea. I'm just sitting here suffering the flu and feeling sorry for myself.:oops:

85-m1028

We bought our 1008 for a song. We made an awesome roadtrip to towbar it home 644 miles from Ft Mead to west-central Indiana. it has proven to be an awesome truck during the ice and snow that we have had this year.
But this rotten economy may make me sell my FIRST mv to weather the tough times ahead.
Day to day we, the wife and I, are going to work dreading the layoff slip that may or may not come. I guess that we are part of the "underachievers" that a prominent radio host hates.
I don't believe that I will lose my house, but my retirement will sure take a beating. But even if I end up selling this truck, I WILL have another!
What exactly makes you an underacheiver? Selling an extra vehicle to cover some expenses?? I don't get it.

BobM

What exactly makes you an underacheiver? Selling an extra vehicle to cover some expenses?? I don't get it.
One of the radio talking heads labeled the people who are having financial problems during this recession/depression as "underachievers". People who did not properly prepare for the present economic downturm.
I was being sarcastic (as usual!).;-)

gumboo

At one point a couple weeks ago, I was thinking of stopping the payments to my Tahoe so it could be repossesed. That would give me an excuse to get a MV for cash. But don't think fiancee would like going without the AC or power windows.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At one point a couple weeks ago, I was thinking of stopping the payments to my Tahoe so it could be repossesed. That would give me an excuse to get a MV for cash. But don't think fiancee would like going without the AC or power windows.
gumboo,
it depends on which mv you purchase. CUCV's can have both a/c and power windows added. By you or most mechanics. And if you want a really built up one, read Devilman's build of his M1009. Of course, he also did a deuce but the Blazer has a lot 'more stuff' in it electronically than the deuce did, but the deuce had tons of electronic stuff, incluing both p/w and a/c. Never underestimate what you can get accomplished. Many folks here have been where you are. I'm sure someone could guide you in the right direction.

clutch

i went the other route. i sold a snowmobile and camaro to get deuce money!:-D have to wait for the ground to freeze or dry out before i can bring it home though.:cry:

zb39

Wreckerman893, you nailed it!!! Also banks are loaning money easier than most think. The "news" doesn't always have it right. If you have decent credit and any job you probably can get credit. if you own a home and aren't totaly upside down on your loan to value, you definitly can get credit.

ralbelt

The news has everybody afraid to spend any money so if nobody buys, the manufacturs stop building, the truckers stop shipping, the retail stores stop selling, people start getting laid off, its an economic cycle, I have talked to several of my customers and business associates and we all have the same theory " Go Buy Something".

AJMBLAZER

My employer's customers are all starting to pull their heads out of the sand, look around, and realize that hey they're still there and their customers are still there so suddenly our orders have picked back up. Not as brisk as they were a year ago or even 8 months ago but definitely not unprofitable.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
glad that some are coming out of it. i hope everyone holds on to their trucks. or at least sell only if its the last resort

KsM715

The news has everybody afraid to spend any money so if nobody buys, the manufacturs stop building, the truckers stop shipping, the retail stores stop selling, people start getting laid off, its an economic cycle, I have talked to several of my customers and business associates and we all have the same theory " Go Buy Something".
Thats exactly what Im doing. My wife hates it and other around think Im crazy and should be saving not spending but I try to tell them that that is whats going to save this mess. Dont go buying stuff you cant afford but to just keep spending like you would normaly. My job is week by week wether or not Ill have a job, but Im not gonna let it drag me down. We can turn this cycle the other way if we all tried.

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Fellas, let's try and keep this MV related........................

KsM715

Sorry clinto. edited my last post.

MV related, I was able to justify my OD purchess's (spelling?) by convincing the wife I could probably sell them for more than I paid for them if not Im sure I could get out what I paid atleast.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks