• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

JATONKA's winter project: M35 dump/plow truck

dabtl

We have been inside for two days wondering if the world is at end with about the same amount of snow on the ground here. And, you guys are playing in it!

surfdog

Plow frame and setup was originally fitted to a bobbed deuce by member TRUDGE, then I bought the plow off him when he moved south to Georgia. I bet he's kind of wishing he kept it right about now :cool:. PM him and he can give you more details on what it started out as. JATONKA modified it a little bit but most of it was as I bought it.

I will take some more pics of the mounting arrangement and underhood setup, and let y'all know how it plows when it sees some action later today. So far w have got about 12" and it's still snowing.

jatonka

It is an 8 foot Meyers on a Fisher minit mount setup. It is powered by a Fisher belt drive hydraulic plow pump, left side of motor, mounted to line up with the compressor pulley, then installed a longer belt to run both comp and plow pump. Ficher single lever control in cab to angle and hoist. And, a picture of the cargo dump lifted. JT out

Attachments

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sweet looking blade setup I am not surprised to hearJohn did it for you when I saw the pics the whole unit looks great. I really need to come up with somethis like that for my
Deuce as of yesterday we are now at 51 inches in Fargo ND I am starting to really dislike snow folks!
KK

Akicita

Neat setup !! A few questions:
Would a setup like that work on a Deuce w/w ?
Is having all that weight so far forward of the engine an issue ?
This wouldn't work well in my driveway because I have to go around a short and sharp curve in my driveway. The extension of the plow added to the length Deuce would make that difficult. It seems to me as if this is only great for doing parking lots where you can go back and forth in straight lines more or less, and for roads. My driveway is wide enough to park two full-size American cars next to each other with room to spare for opening doors, or the truck and another car, but it's not a straight driveway.
Just thinking out loud. Any helpful comments appreciated.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Gosh...I could see a BIG market for that outfit in states with alot of snow...hey JT...let's create a market for affordable snow plows!!! After the snow melts they can become hobby vehicles again!:beer:

surfdog

...affordable snow plows!!! :beer:
PB:
That's was how I tried to sell the idea of this truck to the ol' ball and chain.

She probably would have believed it except for the other dozen or so OD trucks scattered around the homestead!

I think she doesn't mind them too much because she knows working on the trucks generally keeps me out of trouble (as long as I don't hang around too much with the likes of JATONKA (and I suspect you too!)!):p

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey papabear their certainly IS a market for that rig we just crossed into the 55 inch range for snow fall this year in ND I I have a couple big parking lots to clear needless to say I drool over pics like these! I have a great running Deuce and if I could get a blade setup that ran the blade hydraulics off the PTO Dont need a dump bed in my case, and if it mounted to the truck in such a way that MOST of the assembly came off for summer AND the cost woud be in the 5 to 9K range I know for a fact I would most certainly be interested! If you guys get something like this going PLEASE keep us posted I think you might be surprised HOW MANY of us would be interested! BEST OF LUCK!
KK

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
PB:
That's was how I tried to sell the idea of this truck to the ol' ball and chain.
I think she doesn't mind them too much because she knows working on the trucks generally keeps me out of trouble (as long as I don't hang around too much with the likes of JATONKA (and I suspect you too!)!):p

She has us pegged for sure!! :roll:

If JT and I were ever placed in the same area...that area would turn OD Green and prosper!!!:lol:

jatonka

Here is a picture of the first plow truck I did last spring, It completely comes off the truck with 6 pins. No bolts. I can build these any time anyone wants one. It can be powered by belt drive plow pump like Surfdog's, or by 24 volt electric forklift pump like this truck in the picture is. The pictured truck has a 10 Western power angle blade and now resides in Maine. JT out

Attachments

surfdog

Latest Update:

Went to do a little touch up plowing this past Sunday and she fired up OK with the ether bottle almost instantly. But the belts were squealing like crazy and didn't quiet down after a few seconds.

Popped the hood and the generator was set up tight and not turning. It was single digits out and d@mn cold and windy to work on the truck! JATONKA and I messed around with it for a little while but couldn't get the gen to budge.

Today it got up to much more mild temps (about 18') and no wind. Got the belts off and drove it the 1500' to where I could get an extension cord to it. Got a little space heater right down near the generator and it was loose in about 5 minutes.

Of course it took me about 30 minutes to get those darn belts back on the pulleys. What is the trick to get these on easily? I had the most trouble with the rear belt on the crank pulley because I couldn't get my hand down near it.

Teaching point: Get a winter front or put cardboard over the radiator (to stop snow blowing into the engine compartment) and don't shut down right after plowing or you may freeze up you generator 2' to the tiny amount of snow that will melt on it.

I also suspect that plowing the snow to the left may decrease the blowing snow up under the generator side of the engine.

Pics of my (hopefully effective) fix:

Now another 6" -- 12" snow expected tomorrow night!

Attachments

Mikey90744

I dont know how the generators are set up on these things, but could you take say a 800 watt or 1000 watt (1000 probably on the high side) blanket heater and glue it to the generator body instead of oil pan?

surfdog

Definitely need a wider blade - probably will add at least 1 ft extensions to get to a 10' blade. Stuck it today trying to push my plow ridges back. The plow doesn't push the snow far enough to the side and it comes back down into the wheel tracks. Had to shovel a few thousand pounds of heavy waterlogged now to get out.

Certainly doesn't help that I dont have any weight in the back either. Next year it will have the 1200r20 aggressive tires and 5000 pounds in the back.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks