• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jeeperjoe's build thread

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
there is what appears to be an overflow hose coming off the fuel filter that runs down near the pass spring that is wet, what am i looking at there?
That's the drain from the filter, for when bleeding the system. You may have a not fully closed valve if there's diesel at the end of that hose.

Jeeperjoe

That's the drain from the filter, for when bleeding the system. You may have a not fully closed valve if there's diesel at the end of that hose.
That Joe likes to hear I'll check that in the am... MN decided it wanted to snow this evening I'm not feeling like being wet and cold

cucvrus

Yes if that petcock breather/bleeder is leaking. It could be as simple as that. that would be great. Crank it down tight by hand and see if it stays dry. The slightest bit of air leak will make a fuel drop and a start and stop condition. Check it out and report back. Good Luck.

Jeeperjoe

Yes if that petcock breather/bleeder is leaking. It could be as simple as that. that would be great. Crank it down tight by hand and see if it stays dry. The slightest bit of air leak will make a fuel drop and a start and stop condition. Check it out and report back. Good Luck.
Checked it out tightened with a screwdriver, it turned like a 16th of a turn, I thought that valve went out the lop left fitting, that will also go out the bottom drain hose?

Jeeperjoe

so i though i had this licked with the fuel prime knob being loose but alas went out this morning and no start so i didnt even mess with it just took my expidition to work, well got off early and started looking for the issue, i can not for the life of me find any wet spots on any of the pipes/hoses from the tank all the way through the filter, the entire filter is dirty and oily but i do not see anything that is wet or dripping, after much research on the forums i think i am going to convert to a spin on at least for the summer to get this thing up and running to 100% then when it gets closer to getting cold i will start to look for a new or NOS stock filter housing as i want the fuel heater. i figure i drive it enough to not worry about the WIF sensor but i want the heater...

so called around today looking for a spin on housing. i wanted to get the 4770 filter base as it has 2 inlets and 2 outlets so i could put a heater / petcock / pressure guage on it but i would be waiting until monday for it to come in so im going to settle for now with the 4309 single in single out filter housing and am going to get a napa 3123 filter so im operational at least for now..

on the bright side i found the next thing im going to work on, tail shaft seal on the transfer case is leaking a bit, not enough to be leaving drips but shes wet all right... so somewhere from 6 - 8pm tonight i should have the 4309 and 3123 im going to go yank the stocker right now so im ready to swap the others in as soon as i have them... stay tuned photos will follow on the next post

Jeeperjoe

Well looks like the PO may have had the batteries in and out more than i realized, the battery posts are almost tapered to the top, so while i was replacing the bat cable ends at the firewall side battery i sheared the cable end smooth off. so during my trip to napa this evening i guess i will be getting a new negative battery cable for the front bat.. and i will be adding a new set of batteries to the list of parts to get. too bad all the tax money is gone and im back to working could use another 3k and 2 weeks to get this thing back to where i want it... oh well just keep it running i guess and keep on driving

Update to the list
m1008
tiresdone
registrationdone
alignmentdone
fusesdone
flashersdone
relaysdone
Blackout Switches done
floors temp repaired
paintrims done body / interior remain
door sealsDone
turn signal switchDone
blackout switchesDone
headlight switchDone
heatercore done
dash lenses
roof hole
b pillar hole
Fender Holes
D rings
drivers door
Passenger door
cab corners
windshield mirror
ignition / door locks
U Joints
Marker lights / signals done
wiper motor / switch
marker light wiringdone
floor pans
marker lenses Frontdone
Tail light housing / w lenses done
Push nuts for heater cable spares now on hand
heater core bracketsdone
spare rim / tire got rim, need tire
doghead relay waiting for install
Glowplugs
Batteries
4309 fuel filter housing
3123 fuel filter

Last edited:

Jeeperjoe

SO here is a series of pictures for yall,

you can see wetness and oiliness all over the filter housing, you can also see some on the second injector area and frame rail. i do not see any new fuel or fluids anywhere but this is the only bad stuff i could find.
20170413_165110.jpg20170413_165018.jpg20170413_165006.jpg
****it broke the cable clean off... dont worry replacement already installed and its on the german sclae of tightness... GootnTight
20170413_184557.jpg

here is the new filter housing and filter installed, shouldnt have any issues as its about to be summer as far as the gelling, im going to look into putting in a filter housing that has 2 inlets and 2 outlets so that i can look at putting in a pressure guage and petcock and possibly a heater of some kind... we shall see
20170413_201709.jpg
here you can see i used 2 1" standoffs to bring the filter housing away from the wires and firewall. it also helps to adjust for the filter housing not matching up with the bolt pattern perfectly...
20170413_201715.jpg

anyways after running for 30 minutes and watching for leaks i do detect some fuel seepage from the teflon tape around the 1/2" NPT fittings ill keep an eye on them but with the amount of fuel the filter holds it shouldnt be a major issue but only time will tell

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not necessarily. I've been chasing air leaks for a while now (not on a CUCV) and found that using a temporary electric fuel pump is quite helpful when it comes to finding them. And associated problems in the fuel system.
When under pressure, an air leak can become a fuel leak which is much easier to spot.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A nutsert could be used for the third bolt, I'd think. Anyway, the purpose of a larger spacer would be to get some stability in the "tripod" setup that is now a bipod.

Jeeperjoe

cucv spin on fuel filter update

Well its been 2 mornings since i completed the "Upgrade" truck starts better than it has the entire time i have owned it. cycle plugs one time turn key and it fires right up... granted this is not a cold start exercise as its been in the mid 30's - 40's each time but im not kidding it appears and sounds like it runs better and starts without any throttle or 10 minute starting procedure... im impressed heres a parts list and cost breakdown maybe this will help folks in the future

Napa Parts
4309 filter housing 54.00
3123 fuel filter 22.95
Fuel Hose $6.00 ($1 per foot 5 feet 1/4" 1 foot 3/8")
1/4"-1/4" hose barb $1.50 (Est)
3/8"-3/8" hose barb $6.00 (2)
Thread Tape $3.00 (Est price)
Fastenal
69930 3/8" hose x 1/2" NPT $2.24 (ea)
69923 1/4" hose x 1/2 NPT $1.60 (ea)
hose clamps (bag) $8.00

Total $105.29 (est price plus tax)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks