• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jeepsinker's M35A2 6BT Cummins swap ( pics and videos)

gentrysgarage

There is quite a lot on building the mounts and later modifying them during installation on my YouTube channel. I thought you were a regular viewer? Maybe I'm mistaken.
No I had just found out about your youtube channel a couple of days ago, haven't had a chance to look at more than one yet, but I will! If you get it on level ground maybe use one of the cheapo Harbor Fright angle gauges on the valve cover for me. I am going to run a New Process 205 but don't know how long that would last and was thinking I would run a M35 Tcase if it ever blew up.

Jeepsinker

A trimmed lower M35 radiator hose will work just fine, but I elected to go the modern commercial truck route and make a steel tube in order to use short silicone hose sections. Less failure prone.

Attachments

Jeepsinker

Exhaust work. Had two iterations in two days but turned out great. Had to make an adapter/ spacer plate and bend the original mount outboard a bit, but it works great. Looks good too.

Attachments

winfred

yea me too, if the ldt takes a dump its totally getting replaced with a 12v. on that subject anybody know what the spicer's torque tolerance is? power is so easy to squeeze out of even a rotary pump 12v i see it possibly being easy to blow up gear boxes, im only maybe a upgrade or two from triple the torque of a ldt on my dodge, doubt the spicer would tolerate that for long with a 15000# truck to move
That would be amazing. I'm nearing the end of my project but it still may prove useful, and I may do another one.

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

yea me too, if the ldt takes a dump its totally getting replaced with a 12v. on that subject anybody know what the spicer's torque tolerance is? power is so easy to squeeze out of even a rotary pump 12v i see it possibly being easy to blow up gear boxes, im only maybe a upgrade or two from triple the torque of a ldt on my dodge, doubt the spicer would tolerate that for long with a 15000# truck to move
If I remember right, the Spicer's rated input torque is right at 400 or 450lb/ ft. It is built way heavier than an NV4500, but it is also in a much heavier truck. I feel like the Waterloo upgrade coupled with the 1308SL input and output bearing upgrades strengthens it beyond the original rating, but I have no idea how much. At some point hardened keys and upgraded bearings don't make a difference because the mainshaft and countershaft flex and spread apart under heavy load, and there is nothing you can do to stop that.

I'm certain that with the small upgrades I've done I am already exceeding the original rated input torque, but I have found an Eaton 5 speed with an overall length of 24" and a 5th ratio of .66 that is rated for 1,000 lb/ft input. When I break the Spicer, that's what I'll be installing.
Eaton TO-11605A

Last edited:

Kwaligura

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only things that I don't like about the metal coolant pipe is that there are now 4 hose connections instead of 2 that can leak. And they rust out.

Kwaligura

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know that we kept them in stock in the parts room when I worked at Fraley and Schilling Trucking. But we had about 500 power units company wide.

Jeepsinker

Having trouble figuring out what to do with the air intake. Was going to use the filter housing from an M54, but I need to shorten it by 6-8" for this application and then it'll only fit an M35 air filter, which defeats the whole purpose. The box will flow more but the filter still doesn't.
It is impossible to find a CFM requirement for the 5.9 from Cummins, but I'm seeing reports of around 900 cfm under heavy load, so the original filter isn't enough. Not sure what to do. I may have to shorten the M54 box and fit an aftermarket filter of some kind.

Keith_J

F yeah! Love the RRAD style driver's seat ;) Good call on engine stop precaution of leaving it in low range. But with the no idle, all was safe.

Yes, the LDS and 6BT do sound similar, they are both inline sixes, overhead valve diesels with the same firing order. Even a minimally muffled Ford 300 sounds similar.

Jeepsinker

More done. Intercooler fitted but not mounted. Would be great to get some feedback here.

I'm mounting the intercooler to the radiator bracket. The radiator bracket is already insulated from vibration by a 3/4" rubber pad and the original radiator mount springs. Conflicted on hard mounting or also using 3/4" rubber to double insulate the intercooler mount.
Gringeltaube? Rustystud? Others? Thoughts?

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks