• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jeepsinker's M35A2 6BT Cummins swap ( pics and videos)

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jeepsinker, out of curiosity, what is your background? Mechanic? Welding? I admire the work you do (and blatantly envy you for your work space).

Jeepsinker

Yes, mechanic and welding. Been a long time since I've done much welding though. I am clearly out of practice as some of my welds on this showed, but I got it back now.

winfred

if you need the goodies to set the timing on a p7100 i have em (also have the ve tools), dial indicator so you can get the advance right where you want it for performance or to exact for your cpl's spec, my 887/215hp 12v likes an extra 2 degrees but not every pump has the same tastes and "the turbo diesel register" is a good resource of what works with some searching for dodges

Jeepsinker

I already got a replacement pump installed and set at 16.5°.
What I need now is special tools to service the broken pump. I need the governor nut spanner and the flyweight assembly puller, but I can't seem to locate a place to purchase them. Even finding replacement parts has been difficult, which is frustrating because I've browsed a website that had all this stuff a few months ago. I just can't find it now. I found Star diesel but that isn't the same place. Not nearly the selection.

Jeepsinker

More progress. Intercooler charge pipes painted and installed, and headlight panels finished. I had to trim them more to provide adequate clearance for fender movement without contacting the intercooler plumbing, then weld the corner braces back on again.

The intercooler charge pipes are a 1994-2001 Dodge diesel pickup cold side pipe ( straight one), and the other one with the bends is the hot side charge pipe from a 2003-2007 Dodge diesel pickup.

Attachments

Jeepsinker

Some more updates. Got the air induction system finished. Had to shorten the box by 4" but it came out just like I wanted.

https://youtu.be/QUCHHHzgSYg

Attachments

Jeepsinker

Fuel tank and associated parts cleaned, primed, painted, and assembled.

Believe it or not, the lower pictured fuse block actually was functional. I restored another complete pump hanger and fuse holder assembly for use though.

Attachments

seabeehotrodder

Hey guys, I know I don't post a whole lot in here anymore, but I thought this project might interest you since this swap is going to become a necessity in the coming years. I will be posting pics and explaining things here as questions arise, but you can also follow the project on my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_6OEBrY6vNe4HK4CCpO21w
did you by chance catalog all the parts #, prices, sources, to do the conversion. after seeing your you tube videos i'm convinced and looking to do the conversion in the next year, but I should start collecting parts now, unless you have a spot at your shop where I can camp out and do the work with your expert help. yes i'm sucking up a bit.

BinderDan

No power steering yet, but I have made provisions for it. The type E compressor I've installed came with an industrial power steering pump mated to the rear of it. I can't afford to do power steering right now, so I made a block off plate ( actually Larry made it) and I put the pump on the shelf until I'm ready for it. When I do install power steering I'll also install a hydromax brake system.
The power steering could be done prior to the steering gear by cutting the shaft and installing a charlynn style in shaft hand pump they work quite well, I put one on one of my old two ton IH trucks and it works well, the disadvantage is losing your horn wire I will try and post pictures sometime

DB556

Some more updates. Got the air induction system finished. Had to shorten the box by 4" but it came out just like I wanted.

I'm really liking your airbox is that from originally from a M88? I'm getting the parts together to swap in a 12v incase my multifuel dies.

DB556

With reading over your thread again I decided to bite the bullet, and I picked up a 5.9 out of a 1997 f800, actually has a eaton 5 speed behind it, hopefully it is a overdrive unit. But with all this snafu going on they wont ship it for a bit, so I have time to to put on some power steering on my truck, and find a radiator and intercooler.

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 6BT is a great engine. Had one in a Dodge Pick-up but is too fussy about
fuel quality. Been thinking about a 6 cyclinder CAT of some sort.
What do you suggest?

Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks