• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jerry Can Strap: What is NSN on old one?

Numbers

I cleaned out the Deuce thoroughly today. It's a 1970 Kaiser Jeep model. Found the Jerry Can Straps (STRAP, WEBBING: LIQUID DRUM BRACKET) under and behind the seat structures. Loh and behold I found two of them. One appears to be an inch wide and the other about 1 1/2 inch wide. Same spring loaded snap but different sizes. A picture is included to see if someone can tell me if this is the old NSN 2540-00-968-4060 on the 1 inch wide one and possibly NSN 5340-00-968-4060 on the wider one. Looked through the
2320-209-20P, 2320-209-34P, 2320-361-24P manuals and found two different NSN's and the same part number (8690527) and cage#/FSCM (19207) which to me probably means they changed the material used in the webbing (wide one is different material -nylon?- than the canvas one inch wide one).

In other words, which one is what NSN?

Part number and cage # exists on large one but only a portion of the canvas material exists with no number on the narrow one.

Checked out NSN search device on the web (https://www.webflis.dlis.dla.mil/WEBFLIS/pub/pub_search.aspx) and here but to no avail. Did get some info but none that can ID which NSN is which.

Attachments

Numbers

Yea, I think I might be overkilling this idea of getting the correct webbing.

I went to OpenDNS and input both NSNs and when I put in the 5340 one I came up with the following... when you view "VIEW PART NUMBER" it even shows the 2540 number.

[SIZE=-1]NSN:[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]5340009684060[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ITEM NAME:[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]STRAP,WEBBING[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ANALYST CODE:[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]86B2G[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ICPRIC:[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]SMS[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]IMPC:[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]0A[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]FIACD:[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]T22NT[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]WPNSYS:[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Not Assigned[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]CATEGORY OF:[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]9K[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]SUPPLY[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]UNIT PRICE:[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]$2.51[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]UNIT OF ISSUE:[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]EA[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]View Part Number Data[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]RELATED ITEM CODE:[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]0[/SIZE]

Could it be that the other webbing I am looking at is a waist strap for the gas can? I did not see it in the parts breakdown for the M35 but on Saturnsurplus I found an approximate replica, but not sure if it is the same.

On the Hummer do they maintain more than one strap or just use one?

Attachments

Last edited:

Militoy

Unless you're showing your truck at an MVPA show as a 100% original restoration, I don't think anyone will fault you for using a strap of the wrong width. I make my own straps for my trucks - the webbing (in both cotton and nylon) is readily available in various widths, as are buckles and the end-pieces that just crimp on. I have a Juki industrial sewing machine, but the straps I just build using rivets - because that's the way the original straps came on several trucks we bought directly from the government. Sometimes I will buy surplus cot covers, etc when I find them at a cheap price - just to salvage the buckles for straps and the material for seat cushions.

Numbers

Industrial sewing machine would be nice to throw together the right length for the cans waist strap, among other things. Guess I will get with one of the local surplus stores and get some webbing for a new strap. I hate the thought of having to pay what some of the stores want for a new strap. Not looking for 100% correctness but do not like the idea of mixing two different types of material and the thought of a can not properly secured going bye bye down the road. Thanks for the help.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While we're on this subject, What is the correct way to strap a jerry can in it's holder? On my m715 I just ran the strap through the lower slot, under the holder, and up the back to the top. This works for the m715 but won't work on the deuce because you can't run the strap under the holder because there is no space between the holder and the step it's mounted to. This may be a stupid question with a simple solution but I haven't mounted a can on my deuce because I can't figure out how to secure it with the stock strap :?.

Numbers

While we're on this subject, What is the correct way to strap a jerry can in it's holder? On my m715 I just ran the strap through the lower slot, under the holder, and up the back to the top. This works for the m715 but won't work on the deuce because you can't run the strap under the holder because there is no space between the holder and the step it's mounted to. This may be a stupid question with a simple solution but I haven't mounted a can on my deuce because I can't figure out how to secure it with the stock strap :?.
About three pictures I have seen show the setup above in the picture I posted. With a waist strap (or whatever that smaller web is called) keep it from going back and forth and the other keeps it from side to side motion. No realistic experience with the straps because the straps I used in Iceland were like a skeleton cage that kept those things strapped in even if you found yourself upside down.

Heavy Chevy

NSN 5340-00-968-4060 is the canceled NSN, the new NSN # is 2540-01-479-9219, I'm pretty sure it was changed in 1998, as for the width & material, the 4060 came in both Cotton Duck & the Nylon & in both widths, usually always matched size & material according to the MV it's been used on. The Newer 2540-01-479-9219, comes in different lengths, but issued by the Military after 1998 in 1 1/2" and the Nylon type. I have a set going up on EBAY, mention Steel Soldiers when auction ends and receive a 10 percent discount on all my CUCV, 2 1/2 & 5 Ton parts, Shipping Cost. Have a good one, Regards Chuck

Ebay seller ID: Redman1023 ... P/N 8690527 NSN 5340-00-968-4060 Military Issued Jerry can strap set (2)

Numbers

Thank You for the information. Unfortunately I no longer have a need for the straps. However, there are plenty on here that might.

emr

U have to take the holder out to use the strap correctly, its only 4 bolts. and weebee and newlife canvas will give U the best U can use. nice and thick, i have about 4 different textures or thickness's but all the same width, direct from the military. heavy cotton duck is the coolest, that u will get from these guys, the vinyl is not my style, i even have plastic from the mil. not my style at all.....

Jones

I'm running 1 1/4" wide 1/4" spacers under my can brackets.
They keep the brackets from chaffing the straps and allow the straps to move enough to adjust for any shift.
Spacers also give room for any collected water to get enough air flow to evaporate out.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Excellent suggestion Leonard, I believe in purposely venting spaces, enclosures too, for that matter.
Most of my can brackets show rust damage on the bottom.

steelandcanvas

I'm running 1 1/4" wide 1/4" spacers under my can brackets.
They keep the brackets from chaffing the straps and allow the straps to move enough to adjust for any shift.
Spacers also give room for any collected water to get enough air flow to evaporate out.

Awsome idea Jones! I was just looking at my jerry can mount the other day and was wondering why there was no air-space between the mount and the step. A spacer is an excellent rust preventer. I thought the strap for the jerry can was rivited to the back side of the can mount, is this not the correct way to install?

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Who has the cheapest price on straps? I need 6 of 'em and at current prices, that's over $100 when you figure shipping in. I don't care if it's the old school fabric, newer nylon material, one or two piece, etc.

I've looked all over the web and the cheapest I can seem to find is about $13.50.

Thanks!

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think I ever remember any can mounts in the military ever having two straps, they always just had the one running through the handle and that's it. I don't ever remember any of the cans ever falling out either, at least with a good strap on the holder.

Lex_Ordo

Aberden 2013.jpgtv3.jpgtv1.jpgEverything I've seen have the single strap too, but there were brackets made that use both the vertical and the horizontal straps. I have them on my truck, and I like them a lot! Bought them from Saturn Surplus, and were made by US Metal Can, the orginal manufacturer for the WWII fuel & water cans.
In fact I have four brackets. One on the left step as normal, and another three mounted to the front inside wall of the bed. Out of the way from the troop seats, and the head rack. Now I can carry 20 extra gallons of fuel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks